Did anyone ever have an aversion to certain words?

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2007, 11:23 pm

For as long as I can remember, I've hated the word 'stomachache.' I can remember being around 5 and encountering a book that used the word, and for some reason I was fascinated by the word and by thinking about what it meant, but I couldn't stand anyone else using or knowing about it. When we read the book, I told my mom she couldn't look at that part (the page containing the word.) When I was like 6, I was reading to my mom and the word came up and I pretended I couldn't pronounce it - she was frustrated because she knew I was smart enough to read it. I would cringe and squirm when anyone used it, I would almost never refer to my stomach hurting, and if it did, I would just say "my stomach hurts", I would never used the word 'stomachache.' My brother is lactose intolerant and so he used to get stomach pains a lot and I remember panicking inside whenever we went somewhere that he would get one and I'd have to listen to it discussed. My tolerance has gotten a LOT better, but I still never use the word, it just isn't part of my vocabulary, and it still jars me a bit to hear it. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to, and I don't have an aversion to any other word, but I remember this distinctly as being one of my first 'ticks' that make me think I have AS. Can anyone else relate? I know this sounds very odd.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 11:32 pm

I can relate! I hate the word "persnickety" and a bunch of others too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 11:37 pm

Yes. The words, ret*d and Handicapped.

I've always hated those words.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 15 Oct 2007, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 11:43 pm

For some reason, I find the words "cheeseburger" and "smock" hilarious... 8O

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 12:12 am

Huh. I was just thinking of making a topic like this earlier. :)

I absolutely loathe the words 'armpit' and 'pimple'. And it peeves me when people pronounce the word 'especially' as 'ex-specially'. I mean, I can understand if a kid says it that way, but whenever an adult says it that way I get really annoyed.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2007, 1:58 am

Yes, I do hate some words. Hate them so much I can't remember them. :roll:

jackinthebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 2:48 am

I guess it's not even a real word, but when people say "Irregardless" instead of "regardless", it makes my skin crawl. Most other grammatical errors I can stomach, but "irregardless" just gets on my nerves.

The word "speculum" causes me to have a gag reflex.

Ugh.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:31 am

Yup, I hate loads of words and the mere mention of them can cause me to go into a mad rage.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 7:02 am

I don't like diminutives, I hated them since early childhood :x Unfortunately our language abounds in them; having a noun one can do a diminutive of it with ease. Even as a child I never used them, finding it immature.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 7:40 am

Um, vein, artery, any chamber of the heart, any description of a heart attack or stroke, etc etc. I'm scared of my own circulatory system.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2007, 7:48 am

I actually love the word persnickety! That and other ones that sound similar to it. I do, however, have an aversion to certain ethnic accents. They hurt my ears.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 8:44 am

I think there were words that I hated as a kid, but I can't remember them now, maybe later...

But I dislike if people say "tabbelet" instead of "tablet", or "both... but also" instead of "both... and", or "have had called" instead of "have called". (A direct translation of erroneous things many people say in Denmark. ;) ) But that may be this correcting people's language aspie thing.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 8:57 am

I hate verbal fillers (um, uh, you know, er) and grammatical errors.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2007, 9:21 am

Like AnnePande, I'm sure there are words that I hated and couldn't bear hearing or saying, but I can't remember them. Maybe I repressed them.
:D

PawsAlmighty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2007, 9:40 am

there is one certain word that bothers me, but I don't contribute it to AS but rather a childhood experience. short cut words really set me off however. I only chat via Instant Messenger with a few people because when someone starts using certain shortcuts I get pissed off and block them. I don't mind the normal chat acronyms but I hate (y? instead of why?) (vacay instead of vacation) those two make me instantly angry. I also dislike words when they are misused or misprounounced to my specifications like either (ee-ther) or (i-ther) I use the (i-ther) pronounciation and loathe hearing the other.

Mother to 5