Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 3:58 pm

There was a post somewhat similar to this, but it was by a dude, which makes mine different... right? And he didn't actually hate women.

Now don't get me wrong, obviously I can't hate ALL WOMEN. In fact, the only person (other than my fiance) that I like enough to consider a true friend is female. I like the women who say they don't get along with other women.

I find most women to be terribly over emotional. Deceptive. Backstabbing. Shallow. And they seem to be far more concerned with cliques and social status more than men.

See, I have this theory that I get along better with men in part because of my AS. I feel they're far easier to socialize with than women. I really think it has a lot to do with the fact that men aren't anywhere near as hard to read as women. Women have all those hidden signals and false niceties. I just think men are more genuine in general, more black and white, straight to the point. I feel far more comfortable talking about something cut and dry like World of Warcraft, with a dude, as opposed to "why that girl is such a b****" or my favorite place to shop.

I find myself completely bored and lost in most conversations with women, and more interested and excited to talk with men.

I know I'm stereotyping quite a bit, but do any other Aspie women feel the same way?

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2007, 4:06 pm

There is a theory that AS is extreme male brain wiring?

Which would put the way females think poles apart.

Stijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 4:10 pm

Well, I'm not female, so I won't be able to answer your question, but I did want to reply... I found, as a guy, it often easier to interact with females than with males of my age...my lack of generic social skills and lack of interest in going out made me a self-proclaimed outcast of any male group where typical "male talk" was engaged in. After all, when people started going on about how drunk they were on friday night, which girls they seduced on saturday night and how bad their hangover was sunday morning, I was never able to relate well.

Being among slightly younger people, slightly older people or people of the opposite sex was often easier, since I didn't feel like I was expected to adjust myself to that exact conversational level. I've heard somewhere that aspies have trouble functioning in peer groups. I wouldn't be surprised if both of us have that trait.

EDIT:

Quote:
There is a theory that AS is extreme male brain wiring?

I've heard that one too. Unfortunately, the neurotypical males aren't nearly as extremely male-wired as we'd like them to. :lol:

You're right though...women generally place higher value on communication on a lot of different levels, which makes things trickier.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm

I dont really get along with most women because I naturally speak
my mind. If the person is not familiar with me ie a stranger or
aquantice I ask them if they are sure they want my honest opinion
or not. They either move to another subject or get the honest truth.
If the person is a family member I try to just not answer because
they usually get very emotional if it is a taboo subject. By a taboo
subject I mean kids, marriage, religion, race, gender,
homosexuality, politics,etc. Plus with women they stay mad for years
about a spat or something that happened, whereas men get mad you
have a verbal fight then you can share a cup of joe together.

P.S. Can someone please solve the mystery of why it takes so long for them to get ready to go somewhere. It takes me 20 minutes tops.
That is including a shower. It takes me 45 minutes if I have a meal.
Puzzled and befuddled.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:21 pm

It's similar for me. I don't have anything against other women, but I can't relate to them as well as I can to men. I try to get along with everyone I have to interact with, but this is generally less successful with other women. I can get along with them superficially, but it soon becomes obvious that we have nothing in common. I've only had a few female friends throughout my life. I like having friends who are girls; it just doesn't happen often. I think I do have a more masculine brain.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:24 pm

Women are somewhat a mystery to me, and I don't read social signs well. However, there are different types of girls just as there are different types of guys. Dishonesty, false pretenses, I can't smell them easily. Just gotta love girls for being a mystery to be solved though. :lol:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:28 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
It's similar for me. I don't have anything against other women, but I can't relate to them as well as I can to men. I try to get along with everyone I have to interact with, but this is generally less successful with other women. I can get along with them superficially, but it soon becomes obvious that we have nothing in common. I've only had a few female friends throughout my life. I like having friends who are girls; it just doesn't happen often. I think I do have a more masculine brain.

I am kinda the same way...

I don't hate other women so much as I am frightened/overwhealmed by them.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:30 pm

spacedog wrote:
Plus with women they stay mad for years
about a spat or something that happened, whereas men get mad you
have a verbal fight then you can share a cup of joe together.

P.S. Can someone please solve the mystery of why it takes so long for them to get ready to go somewhere. It takes me 20 minutes tops.
Puzzled and befuddled.

Completely understand the staying mad thing. There's nothing I hate more than getting over something, only to realize the other person isn't over it, and I have to try to cater to their emotions and talk about things. Painful for me.

Though I hate to admit, I usually take at least 45 minutes to get ready no matter where I'm going.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 6:41 pm

spacedog wrote:
Puzzled and befuddled.

Why does it take you 45 minutes to get ready to have a meal? Are you counting the time to cook?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 7:06 pm

I am not female, but that shouldn't have anything to do with an opinion here. Apparently the average aspie, male or female, doesn't think THAT much differently from they way I do, and you seem to confirm that. I know how NT women think to a degree, and I have spoken with several and read books written by, and even for, women that seem to confirm that.

NT Women DO tend to think/act like you said. If you don't naturally think like they do, they may seem to be saying things that aren't in line with their thoughts. THAT is one of the big problems I have. 8-( MAYBE if I spent more time with them, and was more assertive, I would succeed, but that would be after a lot of failure, etc.. and other interests take away from that time. 8-(

As for the male brain concept, men are supposed to be more logical and straight forward. SUPPOSEDLY. I know I am like that, but admit many men AREN'T. 8-(

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2007, 7:11 pm

Yes pandabear I cook most every meal at home. I really dont care for fastfoods or prepared foods from a box or tv dinners.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 7:42 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
There was a post somewhat similar to this, but it was by a dude, which makes mine different... right? And he didn't actually hate women.

Now don't get me wrong, obviously I can't hate ALL WOMEN. In fact, the only person (other than my fiance) that I like enough to consider a true friend is female. I like the women who say they don't get along with other women.

I find most women to be terribly over emotional. Deceptive. Backstabbing. Shallow. And they seem to be far more concerned with cliques and social status more than men.

See, I have this theory that I get along better with men in part because of my AS. I feel they're far easier to socialize with than women. I really think it has a lot to do with the fact that men aren't anywhere near as hard to read as women. Women have all those hidden signals and false niceties. I just think men are more genuine in general, more black and white, straight to the point. I feel far more comfortable talking about something cut and dry like World of Warcraft, with a dude, as opposed to "why that girl is such a b****" or my favorite place to shop.

I find myself completely bored and lost in most conversations with women, and more interested and excited to talk with men.

I know I'm stereotyping quite a bit, but do any other Aspie women feel the same way?

I could have written that myself. 90% of my friends in life have been male. Cannot stand (most) females. I find them whiny, dramatic, annoying and their priorities in life don't line up with mine (except kids) at all. I don't earn many female fans. I chat rooms I have been accused of being a male in disguise because of my views :lol: and all my life I've been told (by men and women alike) that I "think like a guy".

So yes, I totally get that. :lol:

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 8:28 pm

All of my good friends have been male too. Female friends come & go, I don't really miss them when they do disappear. Since I had to be born female, I'm glad I have autism in this sense. Autism rounds off the complicated female edges I think.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:08 pm

In a partial defense of women, I would say that I've yet to meet any aspie woman who had those disliked traits. My wife (an aspie) hates shopping, but would be delighted to discuss her several level 70 WoW characters, and their exploits, with you. Hell, she'd rather have a conversation about calculus or C programming than shopping. And she feels much the same as you do about getting along with the sexes. But you both are recipients of some benefits you may not have considered.

As an attractive female, you are going to get some preferential treatment from males, and may get some negative stuff from women. Men have their share of equally stupid conversations, and don't cut each other all that much slack. If you could temporarily be turned into a guy, you'd find yourself dragged into discussions of the Denver Broncos new linebacker (or whatever), and if you didn't know or care who that was, you'd get a weird look or two, and be left out of the remaining conversation. Women would treat you differently, and wouldn't try to gossip with you, or discuss the great deal they found at Macy's last week.

So while I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying, I think that your circumstances skew the perspective a bit.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:16 pm

geek wrote:
As an attractive female, you are going to get some preferential treatment from males, and may get some negative stuff from women. Men have their share of equally stupid conversations, and don't cut each other all that much slack. If you could temporarily be turned into a guy, you'd find yourself dragged into discussions of the Denver Broncos new linebacker (or whatever), and if you didn't know or care who that was, you'd get a weird look or two, and be left out of the remaining conversation. Women would treat you differently, and wouldn't try to gossip with you, or discuss the great deal they found at Macy's last week.

So while I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying, I think that your circumstances skew the perspective a bit.

I have to reluctantly admit that geek is right. 8-( BTW geek! You are LUCKY to have such a nice wife!

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:43 pm

Brain scans show that men and women react differently to various situations. Women react more in the emotional areas of the brain, men more in the logical. Don't blame women for being emotional when men want to solve something. They also give comfort when men don't know what to do. In one of Simon Baron-Cohen's papers on systemization he devised a scale of 1 (low) to 8 (high). Systemization is the way people create, use and modify a personal model for social interactions. The scale went roughly like this:
1 - lowest
2 - most women
3 - most men
4 - men in technical fields, engineering, etc.
5 - Asperger Syndrome
6 - High functioning autism
7 - Medium functioning autism
8 - Low functioning autism
At the lower end, people tended to react more flexibly with more of an emotional component. At the high end people react less flexibily. At 4-6 the systemization uses more logic and analysis and takes more time. I don't remember what all was said about 7 & 8.

Look at it this way: most women are geared to more emotional reactions than most men. The puzzle you see is an insight into the puzzle Aspies present to the NT world when we don't react to something the way we're expected. Learn from it.