Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 4:13 pm

wsmac wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:
The whole principle of executions bothers me highly. Letting a person know exactly how many days he has left to live, and then let him count the days until death. I think that is very barbaric and maybe even more cruel than most murders are. At least the average murder victim did not see his cruel ending coming, he was able to be worryless and happy until the last moments of his life. A convict at death row has to spend ages in the most depressing place on earth, counting the days till death like he was counting the days till holiday. I think that is worse than barbaric and something just not done when dealing with human beings (yes, I consider a criminal to still be a human being). Of course we have to severely punish serious abuse, but another murder is not the right deterrent and a few bridges too far.

Actually I believe that knowing how much longer you have to live will give you a sense of purpose to your actions during that time, if you so choose. Having a sister who was murdered, I feel it was more barbaric to end her life without allowing her to take care of necessary things first.
A convict on death row typically spends ages in that most depressing place on earth do to the automatic appeal process (in the U.S. at least), and the appeal process the convict draws out.
I find it interesting your selected use of the word barbaric. You should have said, "...Of course we have to severely punish serious abuse in a barbaric way...".

Oops... Should be in a humane way. What a mistake I made there :oops:

Some interesting points you've risen by the way.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2007, 4:55 pm

At an Amnesty Internation conference I met about 30 black males who were on Death Row in Chicago for 15 years or more for crimes they did not commit. Needless to say there were plenty of guys who never made it off Death Row.

I am 100% against the death penalty.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 11:36 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
wsmac wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:
I find it interesting your selected use of the word barbaric. You should have said, "...Of course we have to severely punish serious abuse in a barbaric way...".

Oops... Should be in a humane way. What a mistake I made there :oops:

Some interesting points you've risen by the way.

I have a confession to make here Cracked...
My sentence re-write above was a sarcastic remark at the time.
I got a bit carried away with my typing and not thinking a bit more before I did so.
Sorry! :oops: