How many press-ups can you do in a row?

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2008, 4:59 pm

What is a pressup? If it's a pushup, I've never heard it called that. Well anyway, with good form, I used to be able to do 30 when I was obese and completely out of shape. To me, good form is to pause or completely stop when the chest is near the ground. No bouncing. Arms wider than shoulder width. After losing about 35-45 pounds and lifting weights for two years, I can now only do 25. I think I should be able to do a lot more by now since I weigh less. I also increase the difficulty by elevating my legs on a chair.

I'm curious as to what the pushup/time requirements are for a man in the army.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:33 pm

I do 50 4-5 days a week. It took me about 6 months to go from only being able to do ten to 50, I haven't tried to increase in months.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2008, 6:50 pm

Usually 40, which was roughly my goal when I started doing fitness on my own at the age of 15 (I actually used to do push ups to failure and little else until later on).
I could do many sets of 50-70* sometime during my early 20s; not sure why I'm kind of back to 40 if I try now (I don't specifically do push ups as of late) that I'm supposedly fitter (late 20s). I guess it's got to do with differences in the way I trained. . .

* maybe I was bouncing or something. . . :roll:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

09 Mar 2008, 7:52 pm

Brian003 wrote:
I don't even know what a press up is.

In high school I did 200 push ups a day for no apparent reason.

Does that count?

Pressup - Pushup...they are the same thing. Just different names so yes it does count.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:50 pm

Whisperer wrote:
Usually 40, which was roughly my goal when I started doing fitness on my own at the age of 15 (I actually used to do push ups to failure and little else until later on).
I could do many sets of 50-70* sometime during my early 20s; not sure why I'm kind of back to 40 if I try now (I don't specifically do push ups as of late) that I'm supposedly fitter (late 20s). I guess it's got to do with differences in the way I trained. . .

* maybe I was bouncing or something. . . :roll:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to compare unless you have formal criteria. I do 40 keeping good form, chest/nose to the floor to full arm extension, but I remember once doing 100 very sloppy ones, and I don't think I was in substantially better shape then.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:11 am

180 proper ones on knuckles, but done very begrudgingly.... I'm a karate kid and they're my least favourite part of training. :P

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:26 am

I train for max strength and not endurance. Haven't trained pushups in years.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 11:07 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:

one-armed pushups (not with the pushing hand under the center of your body, but out to the side, where it belongs) may provide a challenge ;)

KindofBlue

12 Mar 2008, 10:23 am

For those of you who can do more than 50 pushups, especially those of you who can do more than 100, how much do you weigh? I weigh 190 lbs and can barely do 25. When I weighed 230, I could do 30. I assumed I would be able to do a lot more when I lost weight.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2008, 11:52 am

i have not counted until i could do no more, but i regularly do lots of 20

KindofBlue wrote:
For those of you who can do more than 50 pushups, especially those of you who can do more than 100, how much do you weigh? I weigh 190 lbs and can barely do 25. When I weighed 230, I could do 30. I assumed I would be able to do a lot more when I lost weight.

if you lost muscle mass then that would reduce the amount you could do

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 3:45 pm

gekitsu wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:

one-armed pushups (not with the pushing hand under the center of your body, but out to the side, where it belongs) may provide a challenge ;)

Haven't trained one-armed in years either. Never managed to do many of them. :P

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

KindofBlue

12 Mar 2008, 8:22 pm

Interesting article in the New York Times on Pushups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/healt ... ei=5087%0A

KindofBlue

12 Mar 2008, 8:28 pm

I answered my own question in a previous message about the US Army standard for push-ups:

http://www.army.com/enlist/push-ups.html

For my age group, I would pass by doing the required 24, but if I were on active duty, I would need to do 34.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2008, 8:41 pm

I weigh 71 kgs or above as of late (around 156 pounds), measure 168cm (somewhere between 5'6'' and 5'7'').

I noticed somewhat of an advantage in being lighter than most in excercises where I have to lift my own weight; especially in comparison to large but flabby or poorly built people I keep seeing at the gym or used to see at school (back when I was at school).
If I tried right now that my overall fitness level is not as good as in 2006; I'd settle for 40 push ups or a little bit more - I'm not sure I'd be able to reach 50 or over.

Caravaggio

12 Mar 2008, 11:42 pm

Used to do 60 a day in 6 sets of 10, then I got a job and started school so I had to abandon pretty much all exercise as I was too tired to work out. Almost 10pm right now and I gotta study for a test for tomorrow and I feel like hell because of work.