Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Oct 2007, 10:46 pm

Well, tonight I went to the third meet-up for Shy folks. The other two went really well - there were just four of us. The group leader, who is female, myself, one other female, and one male. I skipped last week, but went tonight. I didn't like it as much. Two new women joined. One was a smoker. So I came home smelling of smoke :x She tried to be courteous about it, but I soon started losing my voice (that happens when I breathe second hand smoke.) I guess its easy to get in a comfortable rut, fairly quickly. The lady who came to the first two meet-ups didn't show, so I only knew two people there, sort of. Just when I sort of found my footing with the original attendees, new people came. There were six people in all, tonight.

If this group gets any bigger, I don't think I will be able to enjoy myself anymore. I came home feeling uncomfortable and self conscious all over again. :roll: :oops: I am glad that I am willing to try this, but it could so easily become something unpleasant.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

18 Oct 2007, 9:52 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Well, tonight I went to the third meet-up for Shy folks. The other two went really well - there were just four of us. The group leader, who is female, myself, one other female, and one male. I skipped last week, but went tonight. I didn't like it as much. Two new women joined. One was a smoker. So I came home smelling of smoke :x She tried to be courteous about it, but I soon started losing my voice (that happens when I breathe second hand smoke.) I guess its easy to get in a comfortable rut, fairly quickly. The lady who came to the first two meet-ups didn't show, so I only knew two people there, sort of. Just when I sort of found my footing with the original attendees, new people came. There were six people in all, tonight.

If this group gets any bigger, I don't think I will be able to enjoy myself anymore. I came home feeling uncomfortable and self conscious all over again. :roll: :oops: I am glad that I am willing to try this, but it could so easily become something unpleasant.

You are right...it could easily become something unpleasant.
The group getting more people would make me feel stressed also.

The lady who was smoking should not have been around non-smokers. Non smokers don't want to breathe that all in. Could you have asked her to move away whilst she is smoking?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Oct 2007, 10:14 am

Well, I did, but she would have had to go a half a block away before I couldn't smell it, LOL. I am extremely sensitive to smells, especially cigarette smoke. I can smell it from far away. I've had more time to process this, and I really don't feel the same about this group.