Furry 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Something else (please explain ) 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

BrownieCharles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2007, 4:16 am

Dr. Wikipedia wrote:
Human nature is the fundamental nature and substance of humans, as well as the range of human behavior that is, believed to be invariant over long periods of time and across very different cultural contexts.

Okay , so
Can such a thing be found objectively ??
Are there any behaviours that can be distinguished as uniquely Human - I mean a behaviour no other species has ??
Could it be found in all humans ??
Are we as diverse as nature itself ???
What makes us human ??
We have lots of things to show we are different , but is that it ???
Why are we so eager to be different ??

And above all , Have fun
- Snoopy typing on Charlie 's computer

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:02 am

All the characteristics I have seen in humans I have seen in various animals but humans are outstanding in developing these capabilities to an extent not present in animals. There is a point where quantity becomes quality so that the small capabilities in animals when extended create the obvious differences we see in humans.

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2007, 5:48 am

Your poll would work better if you used a different term than "furry".

We're like animals in a lot of ways but there's some deep differences... we don't have the ignorance deceptively labelled "innocence" that an animal has. We humans rule the earth not because we're cunning and have funny little thumbs, but because we're the most wacked-out deviant bloodthirsty psychotics on the face of the planet, and we're capable of anything.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 6:35 am

As much as I deplore human behavior I cannot see humans any worse than termites or tigers. What distresses me is that their immense pride in their generally superior intellects and understanding seems to have had no practical effect on being any better than termites and tigers.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 9:40 am

If you were to be given the entire "definition" of what it is, you would be reading it for the rest of your life. One way to find out more easily is by studying humans in their life. The pieces should fall together for you eventually. Or at least it did for me, for Ive been doing it my whole life. The nature of the universe is very similar in this way.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 1:50 pm

How long is a piece of string?

Which piece of string?

Which humans nature?

The tree that grows in strong prevailing winds grows towards the lee

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2007, 3:27 pm

I posted a pic of Steven Pinker in the "show a pic of a nice smile" thread. He wrote a book called The Blank Slate which deals with this topic in depth. Great book - read it if you can.

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2007, 3:29 pm

Sapphix wrote:
I posted a pic of Steven Pinker in the "show a pic of a nice smile" thread. He wrote a book called The Blank Slate which deals with this topic in depth. Great book - read it if you can.

Here's a review from Amazon:

Our conceptions of human nature affect every aspect of our lives, from the way we raise our children to the political movements we embrace. Yet just as science is bringing us into a golden age of understanding human nature, many people are hostile to the very idea. They fear that discoveries about innate patterns of thinking and feeling may be used to justify inequality, to subvert social change, to dissolve personal responsibility, and to strip life of meaning and purpose.

In The Blank Slate, Steven Pinker, bestselling author of The Language Instinct and How the Mind Works, explores the idea of human nature and its moral, emotional, and political colorings. He shows how many intellectuals have denied the existence of human nature by embracing three linked dogmas: The Blank Slate (the mind has no innate traits), The Noble Savage (people are born good and corrupted by society), and The Ghost in the Machine (each of us has a soul that makes choices free from biology). Each dogma carries a moral burden, so their defenders have engaged in the desperate tactics to discredit the scientists who are now challenging them.

Pinker tries to inject calm and rationality into these debates by showing that equality, progress, responsibility, and purpose have nothing to fear from discoveries about rich human nature. He disarms even the most menacing threats with clear thinking, common sense, and pertinent facts from science and history. Despite its popularity among intellectuals during much of the twentieth century, he argues, the doctrine of the Blank Slate may have done more harm than good. It denies our common humanity and our individual preferences, replaces hardheaded analyses of social problems with feel-good slogans, and distorts our understanding of government, violence, parenting, and the arts.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 7:00 am

Furry is GOOD - it's cuddly, soft, and fuzzy. So, I think the world would be a whole lot better off if we were all furry. We would give each other "warm fuzzies" and not "cold pricklies". Being furry would be far better than being warlike, greedy and selfish any day. :)

Btw, I guess it's not hard to tell that fur is one of my perseverative interests.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2007, 9:42 am

In my experience, furries as a group are the most horrifically annoying people I can think of... they just don't understand that all the racket they make about "just accept us as normal, we demand that you accept us" is precisely why they're so hated... gods, you'd think that people would learn one of the fundamental rules - just be quiet and do your wacky fursuit stuff in privacy and nobody will care. But the minute you start "celebrating" or whatever - (this is true of the gay pride movements too) - you just become annoying and people who otherwise wouldn't care at all will jump on the attack against you.

My advice is to accept yourself, but do not expect or ask others to accept you.

I have a friend who's involved in the BDSM community, and for all its strangeness one thing they understand is discretion - this is why they don't have a Fred Phelps.