Page 1 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:04 am

Do you believe everything you're told?
Did you drink Kool-Aide when you were a child?
Do you live your life vicariously through TV shows?
Do you believe what the FDA tells you?
Do you follow authority figures blindly?
Do you read newspapers?
Do you believe in Democracy?
Do you put your faith in doctors?
Do you follow fashion?
Do you *follow the crowd* because it seems right even if it feels wrong?
Do you hum commercial tunes?
Do you buy cheap food because it's on sale, even though it's unhealthy?
Do you believe that innoculations are a great necessity?
Do you listen to *pop* music?

If you answered YES to more than 9 of these questions - you are a sheeple. Baaah Baaah black sheep, have you been fooled? Yessir, yessir a whole lifetime through.

Last edited by jjstar on 18 Oct 2007, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:06 am

Nope, none of those.

copernilol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2007, 5:09 am

geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:21 am

45 years later, and I still can't live down the Kool Aid?

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:26 am

geek wrote:

45 years later, and I still can't live down the Kool Aid?

:) only cause it was neither kool or an aid.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2007, 5:30 am

Only agreed with one, and only because I did my homework.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 6:20 am

Baaah! Got a nice wooly jacket tho'

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 6:26 am

ZARATHUSTRA wrote:
Baaah! Got a nice wooly jacket tho'

Yeah. Very nice. I got UGGs. But tell me how do you clean them without splicing open the ozone layer?

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 6:53 am

I've been guilty of the third & eleventh on occasion. The third I was strongly attached to a tv show, I used it as a form of medicine, saved my life at the time. The eleventh not by choice, the more annoying tunes get stuck in the noggin' more easily, don't they? The others I would have to heartily say no.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2007, 9:23 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is standard anti-establishment pap not backed by anything substantial (i.e., if you listen to pop, you're sheeple. Pop is not a musical term anyway, as many forms of music have come under "pop." And most "alternative" isn't.) A true individual will make up his own mind, on his own judgements, with real criteria.

There are goths, metalheads, and other "rebels" who are just as ready to follow a crowd and wear a uniform. (Southpark did the best sendup with the goths and the "noncomformists" rules...)

The best sendup I've read was in the Fountainhead, preceding South Park by decades. A little artist enclave of noncomformity who in reality are just as bad, because they allow their values to be determined by what they rebel against, not what they live for. Pretentious is really what it is.

Counter-culture? When "Deviants" are used to sell cars, don't come preaching about "sheeple."

"You musn't follow leaders," said Brian. "Yes, we-must-not-follow-leaders," said the crowd."

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 9:45 am

Hell, I know how that is. I dont fit into any real group because I wear what I feel comfortable in and I listen to whatever I like and say what I want and s**t. I once had somebody say I look "metal", except for my shoes, so I should wear more "metal" shoes or something. But I just told him, "Who said I was trying to look metal?". I just wear the only shoes that I can be comfortable in and cause minimal pain. I have long hair, but if you think that is a metal look, I got 2 words for you, Kerry King! Long hair isnt a style, its not like an emo fringe that you have to spend an hour in front of the mirror every morning perfecting, all you need to do to get my hair style is not get a haircut and comb it when you need to.
I wear metal band t-shirts every day, that might look like I am trying to fit an image, but since metal is my life's obsession, I like to wear shirts with my favorite bands on em. I also wear cargo shorts every day, which never really fit into any trend.
But my point is, physical comfort is all that has formed my "look", overly tight girl clothes and a reverse mullet is the last thing I would consider a result of physical comfort, that is just how people go out of their way to fit the current trend.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 9:55 am

Im only sort of one of those things, which is Ill do CERTAIN things that other people are doing, just because Im around them. Even if I quit smoking for a while, and see others doing it and I see it as a reason for people to find me more socially acceptible, Ill smoke with them if I can. Same goes with smoking pot and drinking. Since I stopped working the chances to even get near anyone has been very rare.
Other than that Im completely my own person. Hell, for the past year Ive been entirely living in my own little world..

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 10:55 am

Only 2:
Do you live your life vicariously through TV shows?
Do you hum commercial tunes?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 11:47 am

Question: if you don't put your faith in doctors, who can you put your faith in? I would have died of a ruptured appendix when I was 12 if it weren't for modern medicine. If I'd entered the hospital even a few days after I did I probably would have had heart failure because of electrolyte disturbance or something before the infection ever killed me. I know many others who have had their lives saved by medicine as well. I realize that a doctor is not the be all and end all of healing, but still, they know a lot and it's not wise to dismiss their opinions or their aid out of hand. Someone who only believes in homeopathy and follows the latest trends in natural healing could be considered a "sheeple" as well. The most important thing is to do your own research and make your own decisions.

And innoculations? Ever heard of small pox or polio? I don't think all the innoculations we get nowadays are necessary, but some of them are real life-savers (or were in the past- since we don't get all the same innoculations now).

People who have non-traditional beliefs can be sheeple as well. A number of new age beliefs are incredibly hyped, so someone who just follows the latest new age fad without doing their own research might also be a "sheeple." I think you're a little narrow-minded in your definition.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

18 Oct 2007, 11:54 am

Since when did buying cheap food even though it's bad for you make you a sheep? I buy cheap food because THAT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD.

I get inoculations because I don't want to DIE. What's wrong with that?

I read newspapers to find out what goes on in the world I LIVE IN. Doesn't seem like a following action to me.

If I'm not supposed to put my faith in doctors, who can I go to when I need help medically?

Pop music is POPULAR by definition. So if it's catchy, we like it.

Commercial music by definition is any music that makes money. So only poor bands are good? Despite the fact that band that are good sell more records, and thus BECOME commercially successful, and POPULAR (see above). Unless you're referring to commercials in the sense of advertising.. in which case, OF COURSE we do. They're made for that in mind. Doesn't mean we're going to buy the product.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 12:04 pm

First off, I'm glad you were helped by a doctor. :) Putting your faith in a doctor is like Russian Roullette because not all of them are up to par and sometimes you can be more harmed than helped by them. Putting faith in man/woman is always fickle. They change, they move around, they answer to HMO's and legalese and in the end, when it's your life on the line and you need a dr. in the am. who are you gonna call?

Regarding the innoculations - there's zero proof that polio even exists today - and for just as many *diseases* you get shots for there are 10 more cropping up every year that have NO preventative or curative immunization. So, what's up with that? Not even mentioning the toxins - watered down viruses that are deposited into a baby's body- and how exactly does that effect the nervous system throughout ones life - i.e. are immune disorders the end result of having too many medically induced viruses lying dormant in the bloodstream and organs? I'm thinking yeah. Big time. And have got the documentation (articles and movies) to enlighten you. Just ask for the links.

LostInSpace wrote:
Question: if you don't put your faith in doctors, who can you put your faith in? I would have died of a ruptured appendix when I was 12 if it weren't for modern medicine. If I'd entered the hospital even a few days after I did I probably would have had heart failure because of electrolyte disturbance or something before the infection ever killed me. I know many others who have had their lives saved by medicine as well. I realize that a doctor is not the be all and end all of healing, but still, they know a lot and it's not wise to dismiss their opinions or their aid out of hand. Someone who only believes in homeopathy and follows the latest trends in natural healing could be considered a "sheeple" as well. The most important thing is to do your own research and make your own decisions.

And innoculations? Ever heard of small pox or polio? I don't think all the innoculations we get nowadays are necessary, but some of them are real life-savers (or were in the past- since we don't get all the same innoculations now).

People who have non-traditional beliefs can be sheeple as well. A number of new age beliefs are incredibly hyped, so someone who just follows the latest new age fad without doing their own research might also be a "sheeple." I think you're a little narrow-minded in your definition.