Birth Control Pills for 11-Year-Old Girls.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 3:16 pm

Birth Control Pills for 11-Year-Old Girls.
At the King Middle School in Portland, Maine, medical workers are allowed to give the girls as young as 11 birth control pills without their parents knowing about it.

The school board in Portland voted 7-2 to make that happen. The rationale is that some kids will have sex and the school must try to reduce pregnancies. Also, parents must sign a waiver allowing their children to receive medical care at the school. view article

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Oct 2007, 6:25 am

They targeted it toward the kids who were supposed to be in high school, but had been held back and couldn't get the high school medical treatment (birth control).

Kind of a harsh reality, but I think the pill is safer for an eleven-year-old girl than having a baby or an abortion. But I don't think there'll be many eleven-year-olds getting it.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 1:21 pm

I don't think schools should be distributing any drug stronger than Tylenol.
It's not a moral objection, I just believe in the separation of school and hospital.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2007, 1:27 pm

This is stupid. The school doesn't have the child's medical records, they don't know her medications, allergies, or anything. What happens if she has a bad reaction? Parents wont contact the school, and the hospital isn't likely to test an 11 year old for the pill to see if that's causing it.

Why doesn't anyone think things through?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 8:05 pm

Goche21 wrote:
This is stupid. The school doesn't have the child's medical records, they don't know her medications, allergies, or anything. What happens if she has a bad reaction? Parents wont contact the school, and the hospital isn't likely to test an 11 year old for the pill to see if that's causing it.

Why doesn't anyone think things through?

Depends on the school; at my school at least, we're required to fill out and turn in an emergency medical card that lists meds we're taking, allergies we have, doctors we go to, ect. Beyond that, I'm sure the parents of the community would be aware of this soon enough, regardless of whether or not its "secret:' the word gets out pretty quick. They'd have it tested it soon enough if it caused a strong enough reaction.

Unfortunately, it does happen; I know there have been eleven year old girls who have gotten pregnant. It's not an ideal situation, and it would be better if that type of thing didn't happen, at least at that age, but it will happen. I'm sure that the girls will not be anymore encouraged to easy access birth control (which is just as easily accessed in most stores; condoms are still for sale and all) than they would be by what they're taught in a lot of the media and attitude of those around them.

One would hope that the medical controllers will have sense in handing them out; that is, only to those who are severely at risk and not to everyone. One would also hope the parents would have some sense to teach their children not to engage in intercourse at such a young age. However, these things don't always happen; a lot of parents don't mention it at all, and without understanding, there's going to be trouble.

Three years!

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:39 pm

A lot of you might be shocked at how slu*ty 11 year old girls are these days. They're sometimes sluttier than the high school girls now.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 3:43 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
A lot of you might be shocked at how slu*ty 11 year old girls are these days. They're sometimes sluttier than the high school girls now.

Yeah it's really really sad. I kind of cringe when I see those slu*ty, skater or ghetto middle school girls....and the middle school guys, too. They're all doing drugs and binge drinking...
Even Sophomores in High School are pretty disturbing...

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 5:13 am

GoatOnFire wrote:

I know kids are becoming more and more amoral. I'm worried about the health crisis this could cause, and not only what I mentioned above. A birth control pill is basicly just a large dose of estrogen, and even adult women sometimes react badly to this. Give it to a girl who may or may not even be hitting puberty and it'd only jumpstart the problem they want to prevent.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 10:32 am

If I had a daughter, she'd be getting the pill for sure--- I don't care if she's having sex or not. People get raped, too, and get pregnant. Should a girl have THAT as a lasting reminder to deal with? I wish they'd make a pill for boys, too--- then you wouldn't have to worry about your 14 year old boy fertilizing the local girls.
The pill also helps with dysmenorrhea ( painful menstruation) so there are other perks to being on the pill besides not getting pregnant.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 8:02 pm

I think if i had kids I would want to tell them about sex myself; instead of some stranger coming in and being able to give them birth control without me knowing about it. Are they covering STDs education in the curriculum? Please tell me that they are going to cover in their education what pregnancy can do to an 11 year old's body. Forget it. Until they are 18, they are mine to instruct and educate as well. I want my kid to get as much info and make intelligent choices.

QL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2007, 9:44 am

It's the parents responsibility IMO. They need to take care of it however they need to if their 11 year old daughter is having sex. School should have nothing to do with this.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 4:07 pm

QL wrote:
It's the parents responsibility IMO. They need to take care of it however they need to if their 11 year old daughter is having sex. School should have nothing to do with this.

What 11 year old is going to tell their parents they are having sex?

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 7:51 pm

8)

Rynessa wrote:
I don't think schools should be distributing any drug stronger than Tylenol.
It's not a moral objection, I just believe in the separation of school and hospital.

I like your way of thinking on this.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:36 pm

dawndeleon wrote:
I think if i had kids I would want to tell them about sex myself; instead of some stranger coming in and being able to give them birth control without me knowing about it. Are they covering STDs education in the curriculum? Please tell me that they are going to cover in their education what pregnancy can do to an 11 year old's body. Forget it. Until they are 18, they are mine to instruct and educate as well. I want my kid to get as much info and make intelligent choices.

That's how I feel as well, if I had kids, I would tell them about sex, and the risk of STD's and unplanned pregnancy. If my daughter has extremely painful periods or acne pretty bad, I'd get her on the Pill because it helps treat both of those problems. I'd rather it be my choice as a parent, NOT the school. After all, I would know my child better than the school nurse does.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Oct 2007, 8:40 pm

skahthic wrote:
QL wrote:

What 11 year old is going to tell their parents they are having sex?

My daughter would have told me. She was like that. I think it's a matter of feeling comfortable enough with parents, so that important things like the decision to be sexual is something that can be discussed.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 3:49 am

i think thats wrong. It's like saying "Go ahead, have sex at this age, we're handing out the pills!"