An All-Perfect, All-Knowing, All-Loving God...

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you believe your God is:
ALL-PERFECT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ALL-PERFECT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ALL-KNOWING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-KNOWING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-LOVING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-LOVING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-PERFECT and ALL-KNOWING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-PERFECT and ALL-KNOWING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-PERFECT and ALL-LOVING 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ALL-PERFECT and ALL-LOVING 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ALL-KNOWING and ALL-LOVING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL-KNOWING and ALL-LOVING 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ALL OF THE ABOVE 15%  15%  [ 19 ]
ALL OF THE ABOVE 15%  15%  [ 19 ]
NONE OF THE ABOVE 32%  32%  [ 40 ]
NONE OF THE ABOVE 32%  32%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 126

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 2:32 am

For those of you who believe in a god, especially a more traditional Christian/Judaic view of a god, please give your reasons as to why this god is:

1. All-Perfect
2. All-Knowing
3. All-Loving

If you do not believe God is all or any of these, please, also, give your reasons why. I am curious.

PS-Please try as hard as you can to stay away from personal opinion and hearsay (and for this instance, any religious documents are not to be used as support for the above). Thank you. :)

~Sophist

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 2:34 am

rofl!

you'll be lucky, sophist... ;)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 2:37 am

Sincerely. I just want to get people thinking and have a decent exchange of ideas... and more so than "because the such-and-such says".

Honest Injun.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 12:51 pm

All of the above.

For all-perfect my argument is simple. How does one define what is right, what is perfect? You must have a reference for morality to be anything more than near random social construct, as I believe God is the reference for all that is good, he is by definition perfect, though to be exact, it is not that he is perfect, it is that perfection is whatever he is, his actions define what is right.

Last edited by Tim_p on 08 Aug 2005, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2005, 1:22 pm

Sophist, that is a very good question you have just asked. However, I am not sure how to go about answering your question. Part of it may be coinsidences that happen in people's lives both good and bad. Like for an example, someone may have lost someone to a drunk driver. It sounds unfair, but God usually finds a way for receving something good from that pain, such as the victim recieves a lawsuit settlement. Or, it could be a good consequence, such as finding that right person when one least expected it. It happened to my youth group director at a chicken restaurant. His friend never showed up for lunch, but he did meet this girl who was listening to the exact same song he was on the car radio. The two hit it off instantly. A few weeks later, they met at the same chicken restaurant. He had no lunch plans and this girl called to ask wether they wanted to do lunch. On the way to the restaurant, all the lights were green, and there was no traffic in his lane. Plus the same song was that the two originally met to was playing when they both pulled up to the restaurant. To my youth director, it's called a Godwink. One more thing, they are both named Shannon.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2005, 1:34 pm

1. All-Perfect - God is perfect, the bible stats that God is perfect. and the Bible is ture. if Jesus (God the Son) wasn't perfect we couldn't b saved from sin. Jesus never sinned so he was able 2 take on all our sin and the Cross.
2. All-Knowing - God knows everything and Every1. no1 knows us better than God.
3. All-Loving - "God So Loved the World that he gave his 1 and anly son so that whoever belives in him will not die but have everlasing life" John 3:16 - God loves us so much that he sent his son 2 die on our behalf (in our place). on the cross Jesus defected sin and death. the result of sin is death and Jesus died instead of us. if that isn't love than wot is it? its got 2 b love.
God Bless
Fiona

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 2:49 pm

fiona, I can't read your posts with all the text speak! Why doesn't the Lord give you the ability to type properly?

Anyway, I dont see how god can be all perfect. If the creation of the Bible is believed, he shouldn't have made human beings with free will, he shouldn't have bothered making them at all. And if he's all knowing, how come he couldn't see at the dawn of time that most people would turn out ot be non-Christians? I have no faith right now.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2005, 4:03 pm

soz 4 not typeing properly. here is my message typed properly:
1. All-Perfect - God is perfect, the bible stats that God is perfect. and the Bible is ture. if Jesus (God the Son) wasn't perfect we couldn't be saved from sin. Jesus never sinned so he was able 2 take on all our sin and the Cross.
2. All-Knowing - God knows everything and Everyone. noone knows us better than God.
3. All-Loving - "God So Loved the World that he gave his one and anly son so that whoever belives in him will not die but have everlasing life" John 3:16 - God loves us so much that he sent his son to die on our behalf (in our place). on the cross Jesus defected sin and death. the result of sin is death and Jesus died instead of us. if that isn't love than wot is it? its got to be love.
God Bless
Fiona

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Silvers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2005, 5:06 pm

God is much more as we can think. Maybe of additional dimensions. Some words connected with what I think God is like: wind, water, LOVE, a thought, air, ... - but really indescibable.

Silver, too mediocre for such a great question

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 12:37 am

Sophist said:

Quote:
PS-Please try as hard as you can to stay away from personal opinion and hearsay (and for this instance, any religious documents are not to be used as support for the above). Thank you. :)

fionaban said:
Quote:
1. All-Perfect - God is perfect, the bible stats that God is perfect. and the Bible is ture. if Jesus (God the Son) wasn't perfect we couldn't be saved from sin. Jesus never sinned so he was able 2 take on all our sin and the Cross.

Quote:
3. All-Loving - "God So Loved the World that he gave his one and anly son so that whoever belives in him will not die but have everlasing life" John 3:16 - God loves us so much that he sent his son to die on our behalf (in our place). on the cross Jesus defected sin and death. the result of sin is death and Jesus died instead of us. if that isn't love than wot is it? its got to be love.

fiona, would you mind restating your beliefs without any sort of Biblical references? I am interested in your thoughts; however, I feel cheated with second-hand information and would rather hear your own words and justifications.

~Sophist...
:)

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2005, 10:18 am

None of the above. I don't believe such a vindictive, twisted, deranged hack exists. I have no physical evidence, just experience and personal opinion.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2005, 12:09 pm

i belive that God is an amazing God who is walking with christians. He is always there 4 me 2 talk 2 him bout anything. he sent his son 2 die 4 our sin so we could have a relsoship with Him.

Smiley
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2005, 5:58 am

1. If God is all-loving why do ppl have to go to hell?
- if you argue that the rules make it this way - if God cant change them he's not all-powerful!

2. Why suffering?
I can understand the argument that God cannot stop suffering caused by humans without taking away some of our free will. But what about natural disasters? And to a certain extent diseases?

pokeapoke

03 Sep 2005, 11:19 am

I believe with what is happening on Earth, god is none of the above. If god was perfect man would not even exist. As they say, Man was created in gods image, is man perfect, is mans image perfect?

I'm a Deist, but I do believe some of what the Bible says, and could probably say I'm a Christian, but a very different type than many others, in that I don't follow main stream Christian beliefs. And also, if America was a True Christian Theocracy, 99.9 percent of us would be dead. Here, let me post an article.

How long is a day?

According to man a day is 1 rotation of the earth.
What about the days on mars?
How long would a day be for our sun?
How long would a day be for god?
Is a day a period of time when light hits the earth? If that is so then a day is not 24 hours, but fits in with the eras of time. When the meteor that hit earth turned the skies pitch black, a night had come. When the Earth had become covered in ice eliminating all life except for the algae on sea, and it had passed, a day had passed.

Did the bible tell gods method of creating life? Does the bible tell how long a day is? What if evolution is god’s way of creating life? What if a day is an evolutionary jump by god’s standards? What if god has many standards of a day? God did let man decide names for creatures didn’t he? Did god state how long a day is?

What is god’s method for creating life? Is it intelligent design, or is it evolution? How does evolution work? If god’s method for creating life is evolution, then are we blessed with his knowledge? If the bible does not give a clear definition of a day, then we have no clue what god’s definition is, or do we? Without a definition of a day from god, who is to say there is a conflict between the bible and Darwin’s theory? Did God create man from dust? Did god create all life from dust? Are monkeys dust? Clocks do need readjusting on occasion do they not?

Did god create man to rule over the Earth and its species? Is a ruler given limited powers? Is a ruler not allowed to develop certain technologies if he is the supreme ruler? Did god say genetic research is bad? Is it murder to kill something that will already die? Do god’s laws change just because he says people are forgiven for their crimes? Is adultery legal in the bible? Does god’s law not matter if he says if you pray to him you will be forgiven? Is one of the stated laws and punishments less important than a simple phrase? Is disrespecting your parents illegal? Do we follow others words too blindly instead of thinking for ourselves? Do we actually read the bible instead of hearing what it says from other people? Do we read the entire bible? Do we memorize the entire bible?

Is a phrase from god telling us not to do something more important than a law given to us by him with a punishment deemed death? What is the punishment for children who disrespect their parents in the bible? What is the punishment for adultery? Should we not engage in making god’s law mans law, even though we seek to make a mere phrase from him law? Does god say man shall not lye with man? Does god say man shall not marry man? God says thou shall not covet thy neighbor’s possessions does he not?

What does it mean to forgive? If your forgiven, do you still not face the punishments deemed appropriate? Does forgiving somebody for murder mean they don’t deserve their punishment? Does Adultery hold the same punishment as murder in the holy bible?

What defines dust? Does it define scraps of the earth? Does it define decaying matter? Does it define DNA code and life that has not yet died? Does god say what dust is, or does man define what dust is?

Is what one man says more important than what another says because he is religious? Is it wrong to idolize somebody who is not god? Is it possible for a president to sin? Is it possible for a Christian to sin?

Should a true Christian read a bible by himself, and understand it for what it is instead of letting somebody else tell him what it means? Is the bible highly open to interpretation?

Is god perfect? Is man perfect? Is man created in god’s image? Is man’s image perfect? Does Man’s image change? Is this article over?

Folk’s, we must ask questions, and without them, we will not find answers. Some answers may never be found, but we must stick with what we have, and improve on it. Evolution may very well be god’s method of creation, and without god’s holy definition of a day, it does not conflict with the bible, and it’s the best idea out there. Besides, there is no evidence to support Intelligent Design, and the bible does not state it as god’s method. Also there is plenty of evidence against Intelligent Design, but not any well known evidence against Evolution. Also, god does not say it is murder to kill something already going towards death, nor does he say it is murder to pull somebody off of artificial life support. People argue against gay marriage with the unnatural argument, yet it is found in wildlife all over. People arguing against gay marriage with the unnatural argument wouldn’t happen to keep their argument on artificial life support would they? The entire goal of this question article is to make people think, and understand, and clear their head and understand things for what they are. Also the goal of this article is to show the cherry-picking of the bible the Republicans have done with Gay Marriage, yet showing no signs of disallowing adultery. Adultery is not even a valid reason for divorce according to Oklahoma.

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2005, 4:30 pm

If God was all perfect then why did he created such a flawed and destructive race.

If God was all loving then he'd also cause pain. For a true love has some happiness and pain.

If he was all knowing he would have known he'd be betrayed by Eve and Adam.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 6:22 pm

OMG, wow, people, your totally spacing his point!.
I think on purpose even!
Your using what was writen as GOD's word,- as your backbone instead of your own intuition and experience.