Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm

My Advice: transfer to a college that is not a wacko-crazy Christo-Fascist crap hole like Bob Jones! 8O That's where fundamentalists send their kids to protect them from reality, it's not for actual learning!

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 9:40 pm

Odin wrote:
My Advice: transfer to a college that is not a wacko-crazy Christo-Fascist crap hole like Bob Jones! 8O That's where fundamentalists send their kids to protect them from reality, it's not for actual learning!

Thanks, but didn't you read the title "High School...". I am currently applying to schools on the more secular side. I can understand your cynicism, as I don't like BJ either and the fact you quoted Carl Sagan. I am starting a new thread that will toast your noodles to the next dimension, Odin. It'll be in the Religion section.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:27 pm

Hey, arguing over religion and philosophy is not the point of this thread and nor is it the point of this forum. If you really want to argue over that, please do it elsewhere.

That being said, for physics, try and pick up a copy of a different physics book. I went to a Christian school through high school (and am at a Christian university), but we never used the Christian-based science textbooks after junior high school because they don't teach as well as the secular ones. (Hoorah for Saxon math... <--sarcasm)

In high school, you'll find that a decent number of teachers teach classes that aren't directly in their discipline. A lot of the overlapping happens in the sciences because almost all chemistry programs require at least a year of general physics, as do many biology classes. Also, someone who gets his degree in chemistry can easily have either a biology or physics minor or vice versa. (For comparison, I'm a chemistry major and have to take six semesters of physics.)

Another thing that you could look into is an after-school peer tutoring program. If there is a university nearby, chances are that there's a uni physics student who will be willing and able to tutor physics after school. Getting an alternate explanation can help a lot and a lot of second or third year uni students have taken enough classes in their discipline to have a decent knowledge about what's going on. Last year, I tutored someone in high school chemistry as a first year student and that worked out well.

On the note of being pessimistic about physics... I have not had a good experience in physics as of yet and I am still a physics student who enjoys it (despite the hell I went through in my high school physics class!).

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 7:50 pm

*Odin smacks his head for reading the OP too quickly* :oops:

maulwurfmann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
My high school physics teacher looked like a bulldog.

Tim

Heh, mine looks like Colonel Sanders. Cool guy though.

I noticed too that books and lectures tend to make physics seem more complicated. It helps to understand the basic concept and then derive your formulas from that rather than memorizing formulas for each equation you encounter... (I don't know if I made that sound more complicated than it should be :oops: hopefully not)

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 9:56 pm

I'm going to finish this by saying that amidst the complaints, there are normally test curves. In that case, I barely received an A and don't have to take the final for the semester (senior exemption). Wwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! !! !

Victory for the 4.0 inside!! !! !! !! !! !! !!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 10:29 pm

I didn't like physics that much in High School, though it turned out to be ok afterward. It's not so bad, once you give it a chance.

Congrats! LOL