Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

22 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

Not sure how AS it is, but yeah, I've always had great trouble crossing the sleep barrier, in either direction; I suffer from the over-active mind that many have mentioned; I don't want to call it a bane, but it is frustrating sometimes when my mind starts a racin' and I really need to get some sleep. :? I did not sleep at all last night in fact; I just laid in bed, thinking, pondering, exploring the universe with my mind. It was a good night in itself, but I'm starting to feel like my head's packed with cotton right about now. And once I'm asleep, and especially when my mind starts dreaming, it doesn't want to let go of the Dreamlands; I often feel like I have a foot in both places, and that may in fact not be too far from the truth. Dreaming not included, I have to say that sleep has been a rather large pain in my ass, my entire life. My circadian rhythm apparently has no rhythm. I've even experimented with optical brainwave inducers, but nothing seems to work well.

There is a point just above consciousness that I like to ride (when I can), just after waking. I am awake, but my dream centers are still partially engaged; in this state I hallucinate, both visually and aurally, and I greatly enjoy watching the beautiful and bizarre thing my mind generates in that state. Some of the thing I see and hear, I really have no idea where they come from; the mind is truly a wondrous mystery. I need to take care; sometimes I get smitten by sleep paralysis and/or repeated false awakenings, which I have to say freaking sucks; in that state, it actually hurts, a lot, to cross the barrier from sleep to waking, so I hover just beneath sleep, and repeatedly bounce off of waking.

Good fortune,

- Icarus lives the greatest adventure possible in his dreams…

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2007, 7:28 pm

Yes, I do have sleep problems, now I stick to a strict sleeping schedule. Go to bed at 10:30 get up at six everyday. Plus I'm exhausted from work. It has helped, my sleeping problems are not as severe as they used to be.

Sometimes I fall asleep in 15 minutes, sometimes I fall asleep in 5 hours. My brain just won't stop, I'll get obsessed about a subject or fantasy or problem. I guess it is the low sensory input that just sends my brain into over-drive. I have the most vivid thoughts and exciting revelations when I am in bed. So it may be worth it for the lack of sleep. However sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a racing confused mind, with a falling claustophobic feeling, it is quite scary and somewhat painful. Though I can stop the bad feeling if I get up and walk around for several minutes. It is similar to what I had when I was a kid but I couldn't stop it then, it grew exponentially.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 7:46 pm

Sleep? What's sleep? I have trouble sleeping almost every single night. Sometimes I will try to go to bed very early like 10 pm but it takes me until 1 or 2 am before I'm asleep! Then on top of that I keep on getting up in the middle of the night! Its a struggle to sleep. For me that is the worst time of the day. I hardly ever feel rested. I am always tired.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:40 pm

Jimbogf wrote:
Yes, I do have sleep problems, now I stick to a strict sleeping schedule. Go to bed at 10:30 get up at six everyday. Plus I'm exhausted from work. It has helped, my sleeping problems are not as severe as they used to be.

Sometimes I fall asleep in 15 minutes, sometimes I fall asleep in 5 hours. My brain just won't stop, I'll get obsessed about a subject or fantasy or problem. I guess it is the low sensory input that just sends my brain into over-drive. I have the most vivid thoughts and exciting revelations when I am in bed. So it may be worth it for the lack of sleep. However sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a racing confused mind, with a falling claustophobic feeling, it is quite scary and somewhat painful. Though I can stop the bad feeling if I get up and walk around for several minutes. It is similar to what I had when I was a kid but I couldn't stop it then, it grew exponentially.

My problem is I just can't go to bed at 10:30. If I'm just finishing my work at that time I feel like I need to reward myself with some quality free time. I never want to go to bed then when it's the only time to feel free to let my mind wander. Because of my AS and introverted tendency I need my solitary thinking time. Sucks that the only time I'm in the mood for deep thinking is late at night. During the day I'm usually just feeling tired, bored, hungry and staring at the clock waiting to go home. Not the most conducive mood for deep thinking.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 9:53 pm

I can't just get in bed and go to sleep like a normal person, I'd be awake for hours. The trick that works for me is reading. It really relaxes me, so I read in bed and within about 30 minutes I can fall asleep fast and easy. Prior to discovering that trick, life was much more difficult. On my own, I don't feel tired until 3-4 AM.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2007, 10:19 pm

marshall wrote:
Jimbogf wrote:

My problem is I just can't go to bed at 10:30. If I'm just finishing my work at that time I feel like I need to reward myself with some quality free time. I never want to go to bed then when it's the only time to feel free to let my mind wander. Because of my AS and introverted tendency I need my solitary thinking time. Sucks that the only time I'm in the mood for deep thinking is late at night. During the day I'm usually just feeling tired, bored, hungry and staring at the clock waiting to go home. Not the most conducive mood for deep thinking.

Perhaps you are a night person?
http://www.vic.com/~nlp/n-people.htm

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 1:32 am

I normally stay up even while I'm tired. When I do go to bed, I wear earplugs, which results in nothing waking me up before I've gotten enough sleep.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:03 am

I've never exactly been a sound sleeper, but the past week, it's gotten even worse. I've found that I just can't get to sleep until around 5 in the morning.

RB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2007, 3:53 pm

I have no consistent sleeping time but it gets a better routine if I'm doing exercise regulary, but once I miss a day I stop for weeks/months. I can't just "go to bed" I have to wait until I'm too tired to be awake, and then burn my brain out thinking in bed for a few hours.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 4:01 pm

I used to have issues falling asleep, but that was mainly due to my night shift at work. now I am at normal house I am pretty good. I had a few spell if insomnia, a glass of whine clears that right up.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:40 pm

Let me join the club. I've had sleeping problems for most of my life.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2007, 4:34 am

marathon_and_not_a_sprint wrote:
Yeah, the overactive mind...it's like the bane of my existence. I've had pretty much everything that doesn't induce zombie-ness: melatonin (lots), homeopathic stuff, rozerem....Melatonin worked for the first four months or so, then it stopped working (you're supposed to take breaks if you take it regularly), so I stopped it for a while and used rozerem instead, which doesn't work at all. I hope when I go back to melatonin it works, because I don't want sedatives. :(

You shouldn't take benadryl to go to sleep.

If it's one sense that is causing your overactive mind, you can try to deal with that. I've got hyper-auditory problems, so I listen to music.

Where can you get melatonin. I know what it is a natural chemical in the brain responsible for sleep but never heard that it could be bought. Does it require a prescription? I use benadryl and xanax to help me sleep.

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 2:45 pm

This has been a struggle for me my entire life. I absolutely CANNOT get to sleep before 3:00 a.m. (with work the next day). It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, my mind will not shut off. I've become immune to Ambien over the past couple of years... nothing works anymore.