Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Can you tell when you have hurt yourself?
yes 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
yes 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
no 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
no 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 48

computerwidow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2005, 1:50 pm

This is one issue which makes me wonder if Asperger's is the right diagnosis for me. It seems that I am hurt easily, and I don't deal with pain well at all. On the other hand, like many others here, I sometimes find little wounds on myself and have no idea how they got there. I bruise quite easily and have a long history of other people exclaiming, "Oh, my, how did you get that terrible bruise!?!" and I have no idea how it happened. This tends to raise suspicions that I must have some terrible evil secret in my life -- either I'm a battered woman in denial, or I have a drug problem and I'm having accidents while I'm stoned that I can't remember later, or perhaps something even more sinister. But it's none of the above. (With one such "terrible bruise" I later remembered, finally, that in getting out of the car, I put my foot down too close to the car and when I put my weight on it, my leg mashed pretty heavily against the narrow ledge of the car body. I, of course, simply moved my foot and kept going, and didn't give it another thought until someone pointed out the bruise to me.) It's just that the normal activities of life leave bruises on me. I think I've learned to push aside sensations of pain because pain is such a constant.

llvllatt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2005, 8:51 pm

Wow, yet another thing that assures me that I've got AS.

I'm a pretty competetive cyclist, and have had some pretty bad crashes, but never noticed anything was wrong until a lot later, one time I sprained my wrist, broke 2 fingers and pulled tendons and didnt really notice until about a day after the crash, and still raced on it despite what the doctor said with no real trouble from the pain...

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 10:24 pm

I used cry when I hurt myself all the time. It still really hurts when I bump into stuff but I don't show it much.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 10:26 pm

Me (and my NT brother) both wake up with mysterious bruises, cuts, etc. I think it's something most everyone experiences. The only pain I feel instantly is when I see it happening, and back/foot pain. If I didn't know I cut myself, I wouldn't know until I saw it myself. I'm really careful though. I notice glass too. Ohh...I hate glass. The thing about glass is, it doesn't really hurt. It's the fear of bleeding to death that gets me. Unless I've stepped on glass, there's almost no pain at all. It'll sting some, but I know some tricks,etc.

Last edited by Sarcastic_Name on 13 Aug 2005, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 11:10 pm

I sometimes find cuts and bruises and I have no idea how it happened.But most of the time (if it's something big) I know when I hurt myself.But then again the other day I was chicken fighting with my cousin and I felt no pain until the next day.

:D SpaceCase :D

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 1:08 am

I cut myself earlier today and the only reason I noticed in about a minute was because I started to smell blood.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 3:17 am

computerwidow wrote:
This is one issue which makes me wonder if Asperger's is the right diagnosis for me. It seems that I am hurt easily, and I don't deal with pain well at all.

I think it's just another one of those sensory issues that some people have and other's dont. I wouldn't use pain tolerance as a diagnostic criteria for AS.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:27 pm

As a kid, I had an extremely low threshold of pain. In other words, I felt pain where NT kids would feel only a mild touch. It probably has to do with my AS. My parents and other kids, however, had a different name for this symptom: wimpiness.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:31 pm

It's rather strange. Sometimes I know I'm hurt, but I could take the pain better. I remember once when I chipped my tooth on a pole, and the root and everything came out, I stuck my tooth back in all by myself; I was 12 years old. I could also turn on very hot water and I could stand it. I could feel pain, but sometimes I have little or no reaction.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.