Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Can you tell when you have hurt yourself?
yes 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
yes 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
no 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
no 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 48

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2005, 11:21 pm

Are you usually able to tell when you have hurt yourself? I cannot until an hour after it has happened. Today, I was breaking down some boxes that could only be broken down with my foot. My manager said I would have to stomp down on them good. Of course, I am heavier and stronger than my manager, but I often don't feel that. As a result, I hurt my foot breaking down these boxes. I didn't notice until 45 minutes later.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2005, 11:22 pm

By the way, is it true that aspies often don't know when they are hurting physically? I've been told that is a trait of AS.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 11:29 pm

I can sometimes tell right away when I hurt myself, but usually not. I also seem to feel less pain than others with a given injury/condition. For example, I had heart problems a few years ago and I walked into the hospital(albeit slowly, with many rests, and leaning heavily on my Mom), and when they admitted me i was told that for anyone else, the condition advanced that far would be so painful they would be unable to get out of bed.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 11:30 pm

aaronkt wrote:
By the way, is it true that aspies often don't know when they are hurting physically? I've been told that is a trait of AS.

I can experience pain in the moment, HOWEVER, I can be unaware I am damaging myself until later. Today is a small example of this; I was in the car with my dad driving and he was going too fast for my taste; I didn't realzie until I got out and my right leg hurt like heck that I had been frantically pressing a brake pedal that wasn't there the entire time.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 11:36 pm

I frequently dicover cuts and bruises that I have no clue when or how I got them. It's even more dull on my right side due to mild cerebral palsy. It's possible for me to have a foreign object in my shoe and not realize it all day. If I ever get a video camera, I'll have to post a video sometime of me snapping a mousetrap on my right thumb repeatedly. Oh yeah, I've over the span of eight years, I've had five cavities filled without antishetic.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 7:30 am

Sometimes.

I discover cuts that I don't know how they got there or when, but most of the time I notice.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2005, 9:09 am

Serissa wrote:
aaronkt wrote:

I can experience pain in the moment, HOWEVER, I can be unaware I am damaging myself until later. Today is a small example of this; I was in the car with my dad driving and he was going too fast for my taste; I didn't realzie until I got out and my right leg hurt like heck that I had been frantically pressing a brake pedal that wasn't there the entire time.

That is what I mean. I don't discover I'm hurting until it's too late. I also sometimes discover cuts and bruises where I have no idea where they came from.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 9:11 am

little cuts I don't normally discover until covered in blood. . . . .

more damaging stuff I tend to find right away.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 11:59 am

I have recently switched from an electric razor to a manual one because I prefer a close shave. I shave pretty vigorously, so sometimes I accidentally cut myself. I usually don't notice until after I've shaved and I see dried blood on my chin. In other ways, my sense of touch is more sensitive, though. I hate it when the lining of my socks is under my toes because that feels uncomfortable. I have to make sure the lining is parallel to my toes, not under them.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 1:37 pm

Sometimes if I cut myself or bump myself against something hard but most times only times I really feel pain and extreme is due to my IBS and feminine issues.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 2:35 pm

I usually can register pain, it just doesn't register as greatly as in NAs. I can bear pain to a greater extent. However, I often don't recall where I've gotten various bruises.

I usually prefer a shot to either pills or liquid medications. QED.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2005, 3:40 pm

I normally notice (and complain muchly) about small things like cuts and bruises (I got a splinter today and I was moaning like hell), but big things, like the time I dripped burning plastic down my hand I don't notice. I guess I'm odd like that.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 3:47 pm

My mom once told someone that if I start complaining about being sick I need to go to a doctor. I can go for a long time being sick and no one will know it until I am extremely ill. I was this way with strep throat a lot when I was younger and once with mono. I did the same thing with pneumonia twice. I get cuts and bruises and don't even know they are there until I see them. Sometimes I do feel pain immediately and sometimes I think my sensitivities make the pain worse than it should be. Then sometimes, I hurt myself and feel no pain, but react to the pain I am expecting before I actually feel anything. Basically, I hurt myself, freak out and someone has to try to calm me down and once I am calm I find out that it doesn't even hurt.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 4:01 pm

In other topics on this subject, I've described how I can sometimes underestimate an illness to a hilarious degree, so I won't go into it again. But physical pain just doesn't seem to affect me at all. It's weird.

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2005, 4:10 pm

Oh I definitely have that problem. Often when I am messing about with my computer stuff I will end up covering things in blood and realise i cut myself. A big worry of mine is getting seriously ill but not really having anything to compare it to, so I might be too far gone by the time it gets noticable and I will die or something.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 4:33 pm

I spar in a boxing club and dont get bothered by punches unless ive had loads of them then the culmutive affect gives me a headache. This will probably lead to brain damage. Ha ha. I dont notice some types of pain but some others like a paper cut or back pain really bother me.