Aspies with Borderline Personality Disorder?

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jun 2013, 1:26 am

I guess what I mean is that you clearly recognize you have severe problems with socializing, and you can pinpoint some of the issues.

Have you looked into schizoid personality disorder? This is more consistent with emotional hyporeactivity and a general lack of desire to be social. It's not autism, although a lot of autistic people have schizoid-like traits.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

30 Jun 2013, 1:35 am

Verdandi wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

The problems I have relating to people don't really fit with Asperger's though. There's something going on. Aspies often struggle socially but have a rich internet social life. Not me. If anything, relating to people on the net is worse. So it's clearly a personality problem more than it is a social skills problem. Now, is it BPD? I honestly don't think so, but at least one professional would say it is. It's something though.

Not all autistic people love socializing on the internet. I like it better than face to face, but I find I don't really like it all that much. too much puts me off, sometimes for months.

There are many disorders that directly impact social skills or how social, asocial, or antisocial one is.

Quote:
My ability to relate to people and build relationships is comically bad. I seriously don't think 90% of aspies have this as bad as I do, yet my Asperger's is very mild clinically. I actually socialize a decent amount, even for an NT, but I still don't really build relationships due to mutual boredom. I am pretty sure I don't irritate people excessively because I socialize the same way at work events that I do elsewhere and still get hired and promoted. The boredom thing and attachment issues that go beyond social skills deficits are BPD traits.

It's hard to say whether 90% of autistic people with the AS label have this as bad as you do, because it seems to me that most people on the spectrum don't seem to have a full awareness of their social deficits and difficulties. I couldn't begin to guess where I rate compared to most people.

This article seems to describe what emotional dysregulation in BPD looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/qxmvbpt

If you're emotionally hyporeactive, then BPD just doesn't sound right.

Dunno. Guess I'm both hypereactive with certain emotions (sadness, irritability, anxiety, and anger come to mind) and hyporeactive/clueless with many others.

My first ever diagnosis was "moderate schizoid personality traits." It doesn't fit completely because I do have a desire to be social -- in theory. It just falls apart in practice. My most recent psychiatrist said I was too "engaging" to be Schizoid after he looked at my records -- whatever that means.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jun 2013, 1:40 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Dunno. Guess I'm both hypereactive with certain emotions (sadness, irritability, anxiety, and anger come to mind) and hyporeactive/clueless with many others.

Ah, okay. I do remember you posting once that you also like to sometimes post provocative things for a reaction? Am I misremembering?

That's indicative too, I guess.

Quote:
My first ever diagnosis was "moderate schizoid personality traits." It doesn't fit completely because I do have a desire to be social -- in theory. It just falls apart in practice. My most recent psychiatrist said I was too "engaging" to be Schizoid after he looked at my records -- whatever that means.

You don't need to completely lack a desire to be social to have Schizoid PD, but it probably helps.

Do the diagnoses you have help you understand yourself better?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:45 am

Verdandi wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Ah, okay. I do remember you posting once that you also like to sometimes post provocative things for a reaction? Am I misremembering?

That's indicative too, I guess.

Quote:

You don't need to completely lack a desire to be social to have Schizoid PD, but it probably helps.

Do the diagnoses you have help you understand yourself better?[/quote]

Only Nonverbal Learning Disorder. I'll find out about bipolar if it responds to medication. The others? Not at all.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:49 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Only Nonverbal Learning Disorder. I'll find out about bipolar if it responds to medication. The others? Not at all.

That sounds frustrating. I wish I could be of real help.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:57 am

Verdandi wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

That sounds frustrating. I wish I could be of real help.

I bet NLD without any support or intervention in childhood and no support in young adulthood is a serious problem all on its own. There is maybe no need to look at anything else. And the problem could be that clinicians are woefully uninformed about the condition.

The three most recent (I change often) were like "you don't seem autistic" and then lapsed into psychobabble -- never even taking the existence of NLD into account. It's a frustrating condition that sticks you somewhere between Asperger's and Neurotypical. Combine that with being poorly adjusted for other reasons, and you've got a psychiatric maze.

Therapy is a disaster because (1) they can't relate to NLD and (2) I can't really take advice that isn't written, concrete, and step-by-step. Open-ended or vague advice makes me stressed, anxious, and highly unlikely to do anything at all. And (3) I cannot communicate my feelings -- especially in person. Classic alexithymia. My current psychiatrist is insisting that I see a therapist. I want to tell him to go f**k himself -- after the bad experiences I've had before. The mental health profession is pretty useless to me except to the extent they can write prescriptions.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

I was diagnosed as having borderline personality disorder in college. I changed psychologists and he was very sure that he thought that I didn't have it. After a while I began to doubt it myself although I thought I was pretty sure. Now, I realize that I was misdiagnosed and should have had a test for autism/aspergers instead.

Now, my problem is that my current psychologist does not believe I have aspergers. I am trying to work on him getting me tested though. :P