Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 5:21 pm

I wonder how many Aspies are in jail because they didn't look or act right in court. Maybe they didn't cry when most people would, or the expression on their face was misread as hostile or uncaring. I keep seeing tv shows (the ones where they discuss a real crime) in which the jurors talk about how they "knew" the defendent was guilty because of body language or the way they dressed, etc. It worries me that so much emphasis is put on these kinds of things.
Anyone else wonder/worry about this?

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:23 pm

Rynessa wrote:

I do now.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:37 pm

Me too...

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:40 pm

One of my more embarassing obsessions is those true-crime documentary tv shows such as what you're refering to. I've thought about the same thing. On some, the jury says they were convinced by the defendent's "attitude" (not crying, improper facial expressions, etc).

There was one defendent who smiled while describing the victim's death (responsibility for which was unclear). I might have done the same thing, as I tend to laugh or smile when extremely stressed. The jury convicted her because of this.

I like to think I wouldn't be accused of a crime, but I guess it could happen to anybody.

However, I think I have one advantage as an aspie--I look really innocent, and shy.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 5:54 pm

You don't have to have a jury trial, IIRC. Just go before a judge instead of a jury, they're more likely to be concerned by the evidence (and probably hate any lawyers that try to be manipulative about it as an added bonus). It's not something that bothers me in the slightest, honestly.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 6:09 pm

My friend knows a really good lawyer, so I can always get him office number. If the need arises, that lawyer will be able to easily brush off the stupid "his eyes don't look right" remarks.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 2:38 am

Rynessa wrote:
I wonder how many Aspies are in jail because they didn't look or act right in court. Maybe they didn't cry when most people would, or the expression on their face was misread as hostile or uncaring. I keep seeing tv shows (the ones where they discuss a real crime) in which the jurors talk about how they "knew" the defendent was guilty because of body language or the way they dressed, etc. It worries me that so much emphasis is put on these kinds of things.

I worry about fate of any person caught up "in the system", whether NT, ASD, or whatever-esp. those without endless financial resources (for legal expertise) to spend outlasting other side.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:42 am

thats a valid point, i remember cases where people thought "she must be guilty she looks too calm"
How can u judge guilt or innocence by looks? there are peoples that get let off that shouldn't cos of the fact that they can play the part of the innocent person so well.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:46 am

Rynessa wrote:

That seems very likely that people on the autistic spectrum are wrongly imprisoned. The so called jurors should realize that there are many people out there who are part of this spectrum.