Ladies: Would you let your man get a motorcycle?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you let your significant other get a motorcycle if they wanted one?
I'm a girl, and no / probably not. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
I'm a guy, and no / probably not. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I resent this reference to genders. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I resent this reference to probability. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
BIKER CHICKS!! ! 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 6:57 pm

Well, even though I messed up the wording on the poll for guys, girls seem to be 100% ready for their men to get motorcycles. Of course, not a lot of women have voted either way...

And, the concept of "permission", whether appropriate or not, is found in 100% of the relationships I've observed and been in throughout my 28 years. Not so much with casual dating relationships, but anything more than that usually entails daily, or at least weekly interrogation of one or both partners. (Usually one more than the other.) Me, I get sick of nosy questions pretty quick. I mean, if she doesn't trust me, why be with her? My best friend just got out of a relationship like that. It's like she was totally insecure, and acted out by starting arguments. It's not for me.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

I went up to a local Suzuki/Honda dealership today, and saw that bike I want (shown in the photo at the start of this thread), the Honda Rebel. They didn't have any used ones, back had three new ones: silver, dark red, and black (my favorite). $3199. I may finance it -- not sure yet. My Christmas bonus usually ranges from $1,000 - $1,500, so that will be a definite help, offsetting my horrendously expensive recent dentist visits (over $3,000). I hadn't been to the dentist in 8 years, so naturally, I had some catching up to do. I just had four teeth drilled, and I've got five more to go. Not the ideal time to be dreaming of a new toy, but I'll bounce back financially in a few months.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2007, 2:15 pm

I would definitely let a SO get a motorcycle, it's her decision. If she did I'd have to get one too! The only reason where I would be against getting one would be if we couldn't really afford it.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 1:57 pm

I really would not know. My brother just recovered from a serious motercycle accident, so knowing how dangerous they are would make me lean more to the no side a bit.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 2:06 pm

Okay, I got the full story on that 90-mile-per-hour motorcycle accident that my friend had. Clearly, he must have been speaking of another of his accients when he said that he had no injuries, because he told me yesterday that in the 90-mile-per-hour one, he broke his left leg in 30 places, broke his shoulder, and something else on the left side which I can't remember. He was with a group of his biker friends riding in the desert along a power-line road, where a powerline follows the road for miles. Well, there was some kind of construction detour, in which the road briefly curved to go around one of the power poles. He was at the tail end of his biker group, and the dust they made obscured his view of the road far enough ahead to where 90 miles per hour didn't give him enough time to miss the pole -- not even close. He said he only saw it right before he hit it. He and his bike went flying through the air, separately. And he was 19, whereas now he's 46. Those were his only two major motorcycle accidents -- age 19 and age 46 -- so you can see why he doesn't feel it's necessary to completely quit riding. He's just going to be more safety conscious -- he's kind of a daredevil.

Well, some bikers might not consider it daring to go 125 MPH on a Harley, but he's done that.
(And there I was thinking I was daring went I accelerated 123 MPH in my BMW with the top down.)