Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Simmyymmis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2007, 7:49 am

I've been told I have a very odd or random sense of humour, which some people find amusing and others very annoying. I also find some comedies and comedians funny, and others completely tedious or pointless, to the extent that I look at some NT people and wonder what it is they see that I don't.

Any others feel this way? And what are some of your favourite comedies, comedians, or styles of comedy?

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:51 am

lol I have a pretty strange sense of humour... but the girl I like seems to find me funny so *shrugs* lol. Then she's a bit of an oddball herself... lol

As for styles of comedy, I'm not sure but I do like Billy Conoly (how do you spell that?) and Larry Henry and people...

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:04 am

I am not sure that I have a "different" sense of humour, except that I am quick to come off with a sarcastic twist to "mask" my extreme boundary and censorship issues. Sometimes it works for me and other times people are completely floored.

I think my boldness makes me edgy and funny, amongst those that know me...I am considered pretty wild and out there, I am sure.

As for styles of comedy...I met a guy a few weeks ago and the only reason I was able to engage with this guy is because I was drawn to his sense of humour. He pulled off the best one liners of all times and a constant flow of them...

I enjoyed Robin Williams Live Stand up, he is pretty wild and out there. (which I never would have imagined, otherwise).

I also quite like Eddie Izzard.

sarcasm catches me well...

Last edited by makelifehappen on 24 Oct 2007, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:15 am

I used to go to a comedy club with my NT son. We would both enjoy it immensely but it was clear when we talked about the show afterwards that we had both 'seen different shows' it was like I heard something totally different to what he did.

I like Dave Chappelle and Sarah Silverman and Ricky Gervais among many, not so keen on very noisy comedians who jump about a lot.

Not funny - people falling down or other accidents, people playing tricks on other people

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2007, 9:23 am

I'm not sure about my "sense of humor" or lack thereof in some cases, but everyone seems to enjoy it. I'm not sure whether or not they enjoy when I'm actually trying to be funny and when I'm not; it's probably a combination of both. I typically deploy satire and sarcasm; puns if at all possible, but when I'm not trying to be funny and are either being insensitive because I don't know better or being blunt, people somehow find that funny. After I say something funny or I say something that's meant to be dramatic without emotion, my friend would say to me, "You're funny." and then laugh.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2007, 9:27 am

I'm not sure about my "sense of humor" or lack thereof in some cases, but everyone seems to enjoy it. I'm not sure whether or not they enjoy when I'm actually trying to be funny and when I'm not; it's probably a combination of both. I typically deploy satire and sarcasm; puns if at all possible, but when I'm not trying to be funny and are either being insensitive because I don't know better or being blunt, people somehow find that funny. After I say something funny or I say something that's meant to be dramatic without emotion, my friend would say to me, "You're funny." and then laugh.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 12:11 pm

I am permanently accused of lack of sense of humor by my mother. I tend to - or maybe rather I should have said - I always take jokes directed at me very personally. I get angry easily. I don't particulary enjoy more subtle humor. I admit a joke must literally hit me on my head itself so as to be able to be understood by me. I like for example humor presented by some Polish sitcoms, for instance "Swiat wedlug Kiepskich" or "13 posterunek" ("The police station number 13"), I like sitcoms in general because watching them I always know in which place i should start to laugh. I like telling jokes and I remember a lot of them, collecting short booklets with them for many years. I'm sarcastic.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 12:44 pm

One thing I don't understand about humor is how some people seem to laugh just because other people are laughing. I can't laugh on purpose. I have to actually think something is funny, or be tickled. But there does appear to be such a thing as socially appropriate laughing.

Sometimes, especially during a boring class lecture, I think about funny things and have trouble stiffling my laughter. I've been known to burst out laughing at random for this reason. It's embarssing. People probably think I'm crazy. Does this happen to anyone else?

Lazarus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2007, 12:49 pm

Yes, I'm also prone to the random laughter moments - usually as a result of something I've suddenly thought of or a possible response to something someone else has said that would be far too socially unacceptable for me to say out loud :D

Generally though, I think everyone's sense of humour is pretty much unique so I don't think it's something completely exclusive to aspies. I like the sophisticated kind of humour but equally I like the random, off the cuff stuff, as well as silly slapstick. If there's one common denominator in humour I'd say it's misfortune - usually someone else's.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2007, 1:07 pm

Steven Wright is my favorite stand up. Though Lewis Black is close second.

I like a lot of British humor.

My current favorite sitcom is Big Bang Theory on CBS (watch for free at the CBS site or buy it on iTunes).

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

Simmyymmis

24 Oct 2007, 1:12 pm

I definitely share those apparently 'random' laughing moments, I think usually because I tend to have a whole other world going on inside my head, and funny things often happen in this world that make me chuckle.

I rarely find 'explicit' comedy particularly humourous - I find subtle esoteric or lateral forms of humour much more enjoyable. I also find plays on words amusing. Recently, I've been finding the Australian sitcom Kath & Kim deeply amusing, though I've noticed I tend to laugh at things my NT partner does not.

I also enjoy Eddie Izzard, French and Saunders; in fact quite a lot of Commonwealth English humour. Occasionally I find Ellen amusing. And those trashy docu-dramas or whatever they are - like The Hills, when I'm corraled into watching - can make me laugh, but probably not in the way the producers intended.

But overall, I don't seem to laugh as much as most NT people. I watch them and wonder why they are all laughing together, wondering if perhaps it's some social/sheep-like thing I don't get...

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 1:19 pm

I can be witty but or often than not plain bizarre!!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 1:24 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Sometimes, especially during a boring class lecture, I think about funny things and have trouble stiffling my laughter. I've been known to burst out laughing at random for this reason. It's embarssing. People probably think I'm crazy. Does this happen to anyone else?

It happens to me sometimes, just as I was describing it here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=
Maybe I can control myself so as not to burst out laughing but it's much more difficult speaking of smiling.

Simmyymmis

24 Oct 2007, 1:25 pm

fresco wrote:
I can be witty but or often than not plain bizarre!!

I like bizarre: it can be just as effective :)

Simmyymmis

24 Oct 2007, 1:29 pm

makelifehappen wrote:
I am considered pretty wild and out there, I am sure.

Could this, perhaps, be true for many of us, in the absolute broadest sense; ie including random, bizarre, sudden paroxysms etc - perhaps the outcome of a slightly different way of thinking to NTs?

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2007, 1:55 pm

I love sarcasm, black humour, British humour and word plays... think A Bit Of Fry And Laurie, House, Monty Python, Hitchhiker's Guide etc.