Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 12:21 pm

What is your first reaction when you go into a smelly candle/soap shop?

Mine is: smell all of the smells, then feel really sick from the overstimulation.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 12:32 pm

Depends. If they're all synthetic, petrolium crap made in a country which I won't mention, then ugh. Forget about it. Of course it's all noxious and nausea inducing. What else can you expect from toxic waste, colored and molded, stuck with a wick and a catchy label?

But - if the merchandise is all natural - candles made from soy or beeswax, natural scents and oils used, nothing artificial, low lights and a very calm and peaceful vibe - including some nature *music* in the background, I could definitely dig that and even consider it being an oasis in the midst of chaos. But only if they meet the above criteria and nothing *extra* or ersatz.

SteelMaiden wrote:
What is your first reaction when you go into a smelly candle/soap shop?

Mine is: smell all of the smells, then feel really sick from the overstimulation.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 12:47 pm

Sandalwood, 'vanilla', etc are really horrible. Don't like scented candles or incense sticks. I understand what you mean by sickening. Yet some so called 'strong' smells are less so.

The smell of ordinary candles is ok.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 2:18 pm

I like beeswax candles.

I went to TK Maxx and I physically retched after smelling their discount scented candles.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 3:21 pm

I like the smell of candles and soaps.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm

jjstar was right.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2007, 4:26 pm

depends on the kinds of smells and how strong they are, my parents get that stuff, i enjoy some smells like rasberry, or grape but when I smell the strong cinnomon I cant stand that...

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 4:57 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
jjstar was right.

eh i just know about candles...:)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 12:45 pm

jjstar wrote:

You do? Wow.
Just never smell candles in thrift stores, trust me.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 12:55 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
jjstar wrote:

You do? Wow.
Just never smell candles in thrift stores, trust me.

Yeah, I think those would be a little off <understatement> :)

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 1:19 pm

I prefer natural or food smelling scents. Flowery perfumes can sometimes come off as overkill and overstimulate me to the point that i am trying anything to get away from the smell. I usually like scents that i can identify all of the notes. Its also a seasonal thing too. I usually like warm smells in the fall and winter, like cinnamon and amber, or chocolatey, caramelly nutty aromas. I love fruity and lemony- minty smells for warm weather.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 9:24 am

False scents are overwhelming to me. I try to only go into that type of store when a generic "female" gift is needed. :)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 9:46 am

Am not so sure about what you mean by false or synthetic. Some scents are organic but still synthesised. Some scents are naturally occurring organic or inorganic and will kill you. How bout some Bromine scented candles? :P

Sandlewood is natural. It still smells pretty awful. In fact inhaling the fumes of anything long term is probably not a good idea.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:12 am

it's like a rushing onslaught of smells,quickly overloads,have rarely ever gone near one of these shops though due to having no interest in them,last one went into was that one in the trafford centre,with colourful sign,as sister wanted a present for someone.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 2:45 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Am not so sure about what you mean by false or synthetic. Some scents are organic but still synthesised. Some scents are naturally occurring organic or inorganic and will kill you. How bout some Bromine scented candles? :P

Sandlewood is natural. It still smells pretty awful. In fact inhaling the fumes of anything long term is probably not a good idea.

Sandalwood smells good to me, but not many of the synthetic scents that most people find wonderful enough to put in a spray can, candle, or perfume; that's what I was referring to. Thanks for helping with the clarification.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 6:24 pm

Ugh ! !

I can't go into those stores, or around scented candles. The smells are so intense it's like someone shoved one up me nose!! !