Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tjsmommy
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2007, 2:00 pm

does it make sense or am i making things up that as my boy grows older i see more(not less) signs of autism.... he has never rocked in his life until the last two weeks (among other things that he is doing now).... he seems to be going backwards in progress already made..... also what does it mean if he is supposedly "typical" in school with rare problems and comes home and acts typically ASD? does that mean he is stressed more at home? the very thing i try so hard for is peaceful environment at home cuz he gets enough crap at school im sure.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 2:09 pm

I think my signs increased as a preteen/teenager, then decreased in adulthood. If I remember correctly i was 14 before I had to follow a morning ritual if I didn't want to forget to do something like brush my teeth, or couldn't tie my shoes if I put the left one on first. It now doesn't matter what order I get ready in. i still struggle a bit with tying if I put my left shoe on first, but i can tie it.

I know for a lot of problems it scommon for them to be worse at home because the chidl has just spent the entire day on his "best" behavior at school, holding himself in. its good to give them an hour* or so to just unwind before expecting them to do anything at home.

*The length of time needed will vary from person to person

tjsmommy
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2007, 2:17 pm

oh that makes me feel better and makes sense too that he would need to come home and destress ...... that sounds just like him with the shoe thing......it only makes sense i guess that certain signs increase with age cuz so does our stress ..... is there anything i can do to teach him not to "sweat the small stuff?" ..... or teach him what is the small stuff.... i think thats just it, to him certain things are always gonna be a big deal(breaking his cheese string, a piece of paper that has a slight mark or not quite white)......

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 3:35 pm

Quote:
I know for a lot of problems it scommon for them to be worse at home because the chidl has just spent the entire day on his "best" behavior at school, holding himself in

That's pretty much it. But I'd also look into any problems at school that are making him that stressed. My son has two different reactions when he gets home. If everything is fine but he has worked really hard to fit in, he is worn out tired. In kindergarten he took naps after school (he had stopped naps after 2years of age), sometimes for up to 3 hours.
But if he has had a really bad day, he acts out and has tantrums, gets oppositional. Last year, his school was basically an abusive environment and he started to shut us out and "regress". We had to drop in to find out what was going on because he wouldn't/couldn't tell us and the school lied.

I also observe that how is at home is not a good predictor for how he will be at school. He could have a bad morning and a great day at school. He could be perfect and calm and get in big trouble at school.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2007, 5:25 pm

I seem to go through periods of getting/feeling better, then regressing again. I was bad in adolescence as well, better in younger adulthood (20s), then have seemed to go backwards again in my 30s. I find myself straining not to engage in some behaviors I thought were long gone..

Perhaps this is common for many autistics/aspies? Any other thoughts?

tjsmommy
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2007, 10:43 am

so what i wonder is maybe i dont really know if he is having a bad day at school.... teacher says he does fine but what i dont get is whether he is really fine or just for their purpose.... any way to help him here .... there has to be a way i can ease his mind?..... that sounds like him like he is really tired falls asleep on the way home(we live less than a minute away) or he is just OPPOSITIONAL.... all i care about is how to help him be calm and HAPPY.... i want him to have a happy childhood.....should i push to observe him in class? i know i have asked once and sent five emails and no response .... i just dont know how much to make of things..... im neurotic :roll: .... but at least i know this is somewhat to be expected and not something home is doing to him

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 11:11 am

Young children should not be falling asleep in the classroom, at school, or in the car on the way home. Something is definitely wrong.

This sounds like a medication issue. It is unnatural and highly unlikely that a healthy, active child in elementary school would fall asleep unless they were ill (with fever) or overmedicated. Obviously, you would know if they had a fever.

High school kids (adolescents) on the other hand, might be drowsy after school due to sleep issues and might even take a nap.

I would be concerned if my eight-year old child were falling asleep. He fights to stay up no matter what. He perks up after school and talks incessantly or he winds down with tv. But, falling asleep? No way--not unless he has a fever.

I worked in a special ed room for a year. The kids that were drowsy or fell asleep were on medication (too much obviously). It was difficult to witness, honestly. These were young kids--5-8 years of age.

equinn