Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2007, 6:00 pm

My default way to respond to people is to be sarcastic, mainly because the correct response eludes me. The trouble is now, I have to think really hard when I say something, or write something, in case it comes off as sarcastic when it shouldn't. Over time I have found that I know how I am supposed to react, and even when I am trying, it still comes off like I didn't mean it as honestly as I should. Case in point; saying thank you.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2007, 7:31 pm

Haha, I can relate. I am very sarcastic, and it's true that when I don't know what to say, sarcasm is my "default."

However, I don't have a problem with being TOO sarcastic. Except when I make sarcastic jokes that people don't understand. It's so embarrassing when people think I am being serious and just made some lame comment, when I meant it to be FUNNY...

Strangegem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2007, 7:42 pm

I know what you mean, my sense of humor is a little off-tilt, and peole just look at me funny when I'm joking, like I was serious and just said something incredibly stupid.

I tend to let my sarcastic side loose when I'm tired and can't be bothered trying to restrain myself, or when I'm particularly irritated and someone won't stop acting incredibly stupid.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2007, 2:36 am

This is really me. I don't think I come off as sarcastic as I used to because I stopped talking as much. People always used to get offended when I was sarcastic, even though I never meant to be offensive. So by the time I was in high school since I never really was sure which things I said were going to be interpreted as too sarcastic, I just tried to keep to myself more and not interact with people.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 5:53 am

I don't know how I manage to be so sarcastic all the time, and still have a hard time detecting sarcasm from others.
I think I learned sarcasm from my dad and sister, they were always so sarcastic with me when I was a kid and I could rarely tell if they were serious or not, and eventually I became so paranoid about them and other people being sarcastic that I couldn't trust anybody. Now I either assume people are sarcastic sometimes but mostly serious, and I'm right like most of the time.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2007, 6:03 am

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
I don't know how I manage to be so sarcastic all the time, and still have a hard time detecting sarcasm from others.
I think I learned sarcasm from my dad and sister, they were always so sarcastic with me when I was a kid and I could rarely tell if they were serious or not, and eventually I became so paranoid about them and other people being sarcastic that I couldn't trust anybody. Now I either assume people are sarcastic sometimes but mostly serious, and I'm right like most of the time.

In spite of the fact that I am so sarcastic, I also have a hard time knowing when others are being sarcastic or not. Usually it takes me a second to process what the other person is saying, and so my initial reaction is to assume they said something sarcastic and laugh.

I think it also has to do with the fact that a lot of teens are shallow (not to generalize), and now that I am older I am only just beginning to realize that when people say they enjoyed a class, or spent a day in a museum, they are not being sarcastic! LOL.

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2007, 6:18 am

I'm mostly not too sarcastic, I mean, I don't think I insult people or so, though I love sarcastic humor (like Dr. House). What I do is that I'm often joking or speaking tongue-in-cheek. It's like a constant flow of ironic comments flying into my head, which can be funny sometimes (I guess) but the problem is that at times I can hardly turn it off, especially when I'm afraid my conversation partner could get bored by my bla bla.

Hermann Hesse

JustSteph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2007, 3:12 pm

Yeah. I didn't actually notice until someone pointed it out, but practically everything i say is sarcastic. Which can be a bit of a problem when i'm trying to be serious because people automatically expect me to be taking the mick :lol:

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2007, 3:33 pm

I don't think I'm sarcastic at all. Ever.

:P

I think it partly comes from not knowing the proper response, and also not being able to judge the tone of a a conversation correctly.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 3:41 pm

I've been told I have a really dry sense of humor. I sound sarcastic if I don't vary my vocal tones as I speak - I think the flat tones are taken as a signal that I mean the opposite of what I say.

Gee, I'm so profound. :roll:

PBNJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2007, 5:39 pm

I don't use sarcasm. My sense of humor is more like extremely childish and irreverent, for example in Engineering class, it is the only class where I talk, but the only thing I say is, "Well that isn't very nice." because usually my classmates are screaming at each other and calling each other names.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 6:06 pm

Yes, I tend to be extremely sarcastic.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 6:09 pm

Whenever Im sarcastic people end up getting offended which usually annoys me.. So I tend not to bother as much

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 6:41 pm

Nope... can't say I'm sarcastic...

...by the way, that was sarcasm...

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 6:44 pm

Me? Sarcastic? I'm as fluffy as a pink bunny. :P

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 7:24 pm

I was sarcastic for a very long time. But apparently there's some sort of tone inflection or something that I never picked up; for the longest time, everyone thought I was being serious, and only my family ever picked up that I might not be (usually with a "Are you being sarcastic or serious?"), and my uncles got it; no one else ever did. Thus, I gave up on it (or more accurately, I trained myself out of it), although I still slip back into the habit once in awhile.

Three years!