Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 10:41 am

When I was a kid the family next door to us were Mormons - in fact their dad was one of the highest placed Mormons in Victoria, or at least that's what my mum likes to tell people when she relates the story of how I learned my first swear words from him. Anyway they were good friends of ours for years, to the point where Mum was cool with them taking us to a Mormon meeting as a form of "babysitting"...funny how I never became I Mormon, but instead a Jehovah's Witness later in life (not anymore though).

You got to ask for it

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

If you really want to get technical Mormonism isn't nearly as strict and crazy as everyone thinks it is. It's less strict than say, Islam or Judiasm. Essentially the Mormon requirements boiled down to this: No exo-maritail sex, don't abuse drugs, don't drink coffee or tea, pay tithing, believe in the religion. However, a lot of other things are required to fit within the socially hiearchy, which varies a bit depending on where someone lives, Utah Mormons are the most conservative. Technically Mormons can marry outside of the religion, but they cannot be "sealed", and it is frowned upon within the church.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html