Psychiatrist and broadcaster Anthony Clare dies

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

edal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 12:17 pm

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Psychiatrist, broadcaster and author Professor Anthony Clare has died of a heart attack at the age of 64, one of his seven children said on Tuesday. Clare, best known as the presenter of BBC Radio 4's series "In The Psychiatrist's Chair", died in Paris on Monday, his daughter Rachel Clare told Reuters.

"He died on Monday morning," she said in a telephone call. "It was sudden. There was no illness, just a heart attack."

Clare, an adjunct professor at Trinity College Dublin, had been due to retire as consultant psychiatrist at the St Edmundsbury acute psychiatric unit on the outskirts of Dublin later this year, Irish media reported. "He was not only the best known psychiatrist in Ireland and Britain, but in the United States as well because he made regular trips there," Patricia Casey, professor of psychiatry at Dublin's Mater Misericordiae Hospital, told RTE radio. "He did indeed demystify psychiatry at a time when people thought that psychiatrists had two horns and locked people up," Casey said of a man who also co-wrote the book "Depression and how to survive it" with comedian Spike Milligan.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 3:44 pm

Sorry never heard of him.

But, I would be really sad if "Frazier" died. Why can't more psychiatrists be like him...or his brother?

edal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 4:04 pm

He was on BBC Radio a lot, I used to listen to him because he was a man who made psychiatry interesting.

There's a few more details in his Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Clare

Ed Almos

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 8:39 pm

He was a professor at my old university (Trinity College Dublin). I would see him on campus now and then - I last saw him about 3 months ago. One of those few people who just looked clever. He was in the audience at a talk about AS that I and a female physics student gave in late 2005, a book launch for Unstoppable Brilliance - Irish Geniuses and Asperger's Syndrome written by his colleague Prof. Micheal Fitzgerald.