Drawing people in too close too fast...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 10:25 pm

I do it a little at the Y, but we all do it... everyone has problems they're dying to tell others about.

I do it here and have creeped some people out. But I need people who are really close, NOW, not in a year's time. Who feels the same way? Who else is or was so depressed they didn't care about their physical safety or well-being, but just their psychological life?

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2007, 11:10 pm

I sort of have the opposite problem, being too patient for my own good.

Unless of course someone at work or a con starts a conversation about Transformers, Adult Swim, Lovecraft, or one of my other narrow interests. Then we'll talk from 10 minutes to 2 hours, even if it's someone I just met.

Then later, when I see them and can't think of one damned thing to say, the time-release-awkwardness kicks in. And I'm back to everyone pretending they don't know me.

At work, that actually makes things easier. If only I could get into data-entry...

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

01 Nov 2007, 1:56 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I do it here and have creeped some people out. But I need people who are really close, NOW, not in a year's time. Who feels the same way? Who else is or was so depressed they didn't care about their physical safety or well-being, but just their psychological life?

I'm certainly guilty of creeping people out by being too open and deep too quickly, both here and in real life; I'm utterly obvlivious to what I should share, and what I should not. Few can handle this aspect of me, even those who presume to be able to. Those who are able to handle it without fail (like you :D, and a few close friends I have here and IRL) tend to be truly exceptional people. Really, I've said some things to you, Ana, that should very rightly have creeped the hell out of you, would have creeped the hell out of a "normal" person, but you hardly blinked. :wink: We're a breed apart, I think; mutants perhaps, but we have our assets. I hope you get your depression under control, but your open loopiness is a trait I hope you never lose. It puts off a few, but many love you for it; take pride in that, and discount those who lack the facilities to be able to appreciate you for who you are...

Yeah, I've been so depressed I cared not for my own safety; my system of faith forbids me from taking my own life, but I've often had a death wish during some of the darker times in my life. Right now I'm doing OK though, happily; as always, I hope you are too.

Good fortune,

- Icarus scores off the scale on the creep-o-meter...

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 2:22 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I do it a little at the Y, but we all do it... everyone has problems they're dying to tell others about.

I used to go to Codependent's Anonymous groups. This was brought up a few times as being too trusting and not establishing healthy boundaries. Adults who were abused as children never learned boundaries and that trust is something that's earned. When you're too open people don't have enough time to process and they'll react from instinct. For good or worse.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 2:31 pm

Ana54 wrote:

:wink:

edal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 4:19 pm

Guilty as charged. It's probably one of the many reasons why relationships failed in the past.

Ed Almos

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 4:22 pm

*BOOM*
Pieces of relationship go FLYING everywhere!

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

01 Nov 2007, 6:28 pm

jjstar wrote:
This was brought up a few times as being too trusting and not establishing healthy boundaries. Adults who were abused as children never learned boundaries and that trust is something that's earned. When you're too open people don't have enough time to process and they'll react from instinct. For good or worse.

(sigh) Yes. :(

Kalister1 wrote:
*BOOM*
Pieces of relationship go FLYING everywhere!

(sigh) Yes. :(

Good fortune,

- Icarus thinks human relationships are non-deterministic...