07 Nov 2007, 8:26 am

What's WORSE Than Motorcycles?

I can think of several things,

*Bird Flu
*Animal abuse
*Internet connection failures
*Living in poverty
*Living forever

Plenty more but don't think I should continue my list.

I agree with most of you, that motorcycles are noisey...but I have to say...extremely fun to ride :) Once your riding, it's like your in another world...great feeling.
Besides, if you have a decent helmet it should block out some of the noise.

I don't own one apart from a little 50cc pocket bike :lol:
I have been pillion on several though, so much fun!

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:32 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
What's WORSE Than Motorcycles?

I can think of several things,

*Bird Flu
*Animal abuse
*Internet connection failures
*Living in poverty
*Living forever

Plenty more but don't think I should continue my list.

I agree with most of you, that motorcycles are noisey...but I have to say...extremely fun to ride :) Once your riding, it's like your in another world...great feeling.

I don't own one apart from a little 50cc pocket bike :lol:
I have been pillion on several though, so much fun!

"one person's noise is another's music"

MapReader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2007, 11:47 am

Brittany2907 wrote:

Not for everyone else it doesn't.

Sorry, pet hate :evil: . I wouldn't mind people enjoying themselves on motorbikes or scooters apart from this. I admire the minimalism, but...

It only takes one motorbike to fill a whole valley or a whole village with ugly, penetrating noise. Scooters are the fly in the ointment of Mediterranean culture.

vee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

What's WORSE than motorcycles.

A world WITHOUT motorcycles.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2009, 9:57 pm

vee wrote:
What's WORSE than motorcycles.

A world WITHOUT motorcycles.

SORRY, That wasn't Vee saying that, it was me. Vee was reading the forum and didn't sign off and I didn't notice I was logged on under her name. :oops:

I still love bikes though and cars suck. :D

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:24 pm

Pic in first post doesn't work.

Anyway, LAWNMOWERS!

I hate when it's 7AM on a Monday and the old b***h next door is mowing the lawn. WHY!? At least with motorcycles, after 30 second it's over. With a lawnmower, I have to put up with that s**t for an hour.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 4:14 pm

I don't begrudge people their motorcycles, but yeah, any loud noise just plain HURTS :!:
Even our cats run at loud vehicles down our street - it must be h@%% on their ears.

Once went to a church service where they had an amplifier in the drums in a room the size of two mobile homes - with plain plaster walls and a wooden floor, little fabrics to adsorb the sound :arrow: HAD to leave. Haven't been back.

Sidebar on the small clean cars - from what I've seen of most concept vehicles they are seriously short on cargo space. In my 4-door 18 year old petroleum burner we make grocery store trips twice a month.
These clean concept cars appear to only hold a couple days worth of groceries - requiring multiple trips to the grocery store and ultimately consuming more energy overall.

I grew up in a family where my Dad got transferred pretty much every other year - my parents needed a car big enough to hold four people and several days worth of luggage. Dad's job was one where it couldn't be done remotely on line he had to go there to do that. And not many people could do what he did
:?: what clean cars are of sufficient size to make those trips?

And buying small furniture retail - does one go to the store in their tiny little clean car then have the store make a round trip to their home in a larger vehicle to deliver it?
That would increase overall energy use, wouldn't it?
Actually, that's kind of the same as making on-line purchases, energy has to be consumed to get the item across half a continent or across and ocean to you.
Eh, that happens with stuff in the local store anyway as it is.

I rode on Greg's motorcycle once, and it was fun :D His was of reasonable noise level.

Out here in farmland where we use a lot of landscape to grow the stuff you eat, it's a pretty fair distance to anywhere -
larger vehicles are needed to reduce fatigue on those trips (have done them in compact cars and family sedans, so know that firsthand - fatigue causes less driver alertness.) and to hold the volume of stuff people get on those occasional trips.
Tiny little clean cars can not do that.

From what I've seen, people packed in cities all to quickly forget, if they ever were aware of it to begin with, that a tremendous amount of landscape out there is NOT city or suburb. And they do not take that into consideration.

There's also a large amount of unpaved gravel county roads out here, are small, lightweight, clean cars going to hold up on those?

Okay, I'm done.
For now.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:07 pm

As an Aspie on the libertarian end I have no problem with motorbikes or bikers. They're a pretty decent set of people all in all and are pretty mellow and understanding people generally.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:10 pm

which brings up another tangent off topic - recycling :arrow:
out here, to get to a plastic recycling place is a 31 mile, 49 kilometer, round trip
I create more negative environmental impact recycling than trashing plastic.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:15 pm

Tequila wrote:
As an Aspie on the libertarian end I have no problem with motorbikes or bikers. They're a pretty decent set of people all in all and are pretty mellow and understanding people generally.

True, it's just the "one jackass spoils the bunch" thing.
Hard to get past that. :?

Will, in fairness, add that I do go look at nearby motorcycles in parking lot where we park - some are downright beautiful machines.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 2:09 am

What, like, the sound? Those sneezes, that you can sort of hear them coming but when they come they're way louder than you expect. Like aaaaaAAAAAAACHOOOO. LOL

But motorcycles don't bug me much. My dad took me on his when I was a kid so I grew up thinking they were awesome.