Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 5:52 am

Last edited by jjstar on 05 Nov 2007, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 6:17 am

They're a whole lot better than cars and SUV's in my mind. Smaller engines = lower emissions.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 6:42 am

Phagocyte wrote:
Smaller engines = lower emissions.

Not necessarily.
Quote:
The Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research says that a typical motorcycle emits 16 times more hydrocarbons, three times more carbon monoxide and a "disproportionately high" amount of other air pollutants compared to a car.
The Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research says that a typical motorcycle emits 16 times more hydrocarbons, three times more carbon monoxide and a "disproportionately high" amount of other air pollutants compared to a car.

That said, I ride a scooter every day. :D

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 7:20 am

UncleBeer wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

Not necessarily.
Quote:

Well thank you for clarifying this. And one would only have to ask that knowing what you know - why do you choose to pollute with your riding preference?

gogos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2007, 7:40 am

Ugh.... I don't mean to offend those who may ride one, but seriously....

Having AS, I notice every noise, even the littlest ones. So when a loud obnoxious bike comes tearing up my street (a main residential street) or a loud put putty Harley, I literally I have to stop what I am doing because I can't concentrate and feel the anger race up my spine.

Not only do they pollute the air, the polute the peace.... why? Why would someone want to cause so much noise needlessly.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 7:53 am

gogos wrote:
Ugh.... I don't mean to offend those who may ride one, but seriously....

Having AS, I notice every noise, even the littlest ones. So when a loud obnoxious bike comes tearing up my street (a main residential street) or a loud put putty Harley, I literally I have to stop what I am doing because I can't concentrate and feel the anger race up my spine.

Not only do they pollute the air, the polute the peace.... why? Why would someone want to cause so much noise needlessly.

I am relating to what you wrote here and to even make things more complicated and exasperating for us, the manufacturers PURPOSELY make the engines loud. And if it's not loud enough - the rider will soup them up with all kinds of mufflers and cr*p just to make a roadhog statement. One day....remember..one day - all of this will be just a bad dream...and we'll laugh and dance in the soft sun light like children........

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 7:56 am

Since when did most motorcycles use diesel? I'm sorry, but I care more about mechanical objects than the ozone layer.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 8:30 am

I dislike it when you have motorcycles that tear up and down the street.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Nov 2007, 8:34 am

Actually, Harleys don't need to be souped up to be loud. That is part of their attraction to their riders...that they are loud and it is apparently a distinctively loud sound from other motorcycles. That was just an FYI tidbit of completely useless trivia of which I seem to be a wealth of.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 8:39 am

jjstar wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

Not necessarily.
Quote:

Well thank you for clarifying this. And one would only have to ask that knowing what you know - why do you choose to pollute with your riding preference?

Because I can't afford a car. Good enough reason for you, boss? :roll:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 9:01 am

I hate the backfire noise of motorcycles even more than that of cars. I also hate in when idiots tear up and down the street in the middle of the night. It is worse than any other noise that I could hear at night. Give me dogs barking and cats meowing any time.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 10:27 am

It was not me.

One, there are exemptions for small engines, 2 Cycle, dirty, loud, cheap, just like the market they are directed to.

All larger bikes have had to meet emissions standards just like cars, computers, catalitic converters.

My sound issue is lawn mowers and leaf blowers, all of my neighbors. Lawn mowers are dirty and loud on purpose, so they sound powerful, they can be made silent, but those do not sell.

Harley is a cult. Loud pipes do save lives. I have had drivers pull out and stop, blocking the road, because I should not have been on "their" road on "that thing!" I have had them cross the center line and come right at me, to run me off in the ditch and kill me.

To tell if my bike is running, I have to touch it. The silent superbikes. It does stay upright in the ditch at sixty, and coming out makes a u turn and hits 100, trailing that car driver till they run, and running them till they crash. They cannot go home, or to the police, or stop. They just tried to murder a stranger for being on two wheels.

I favor small, light, silent transportation. Fuel cells work, but we still have the SUV phone talking, cage drivers, I am bigger, and you die, and it was your own fault. So we carry road junk, lug nuts, from the big rigs.

It is projection, he was on a motorcycle, so I killed him?

I would like real laws about small bikes, clean and silent. some respect from other drivers, to stay alive, to not be targeted like a snake in the road, and for all drivers and passengers, to wear helments, for head injuries happen in cars just as much. There is an equal reason that all should wear helments, but this is not about reason and equality, is it?

Big bikes are no place to learn, never rode, bought huge machine, died. Several years under 250 cc is the only training that works.

Oil hit $96, It costs $120 to fill up an SUV, how long do you think this can last?

Oil was $13, gas $1, SUVs flood the market, oil at $96 means gas should be $8, how could it be $3? At $8 an SUV takes $340.

Suprises are coming.

For the future, small personal transport, clean, long lasting, has to be. Is there a reason that low powered venicles are made so badly, and allowed to be sold? Electric burns coal, then wastes half the power charging batteries. It is a dirty technology. The government seems to be blocking fuel cells, the best work is done by Ballard Power in Canada. They have a city bus that is perfect, silent, emits water, lasts with little upkeep. They have a car size that is fuel cell, to three phase motor.

Converting to solar electric, clean, reducing ocean water to Hydrogen and Oxygen, then recombining them and making pure water, would pollute the world with clean water.

As a gram of water changes from liquid, as it comes out of a fuel cell, to vapor, it takes up 545 calories of heat in the phase change. It would cool cities.

I support all noise reduction, buy a BMW.

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2007, 11:28 am

I just do not understand the fascination with motorcycles being louder than a nuclear blast.

Why aren't motorcycles with straight pipes illegal ?

Maeotian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2007, 11:45 am

What's worse than a motorcycle?

TWO motorcycles. Twice the noise, twice the smog.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 11:55 am

jjstar wrote:
IDIOTS on motorcycles!!

Mindless, brainless twits who have no other agenda in life than zooming back and forth like some kind of robotic imbecile with rubber to burn and diesel to toxify the enviornment with.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

My Vote: Adolescent males in hopped up pickup trucks with jacked up suspensions and overlarge tires, with mudflaps with cutouts of anatomically impossible females on them. Said males who insist on driving well over the speed limit, playing music loudly from bass-enhanced speakers, while ignoring most traffic laws and the basic physics of stopping distance.

Cooper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2007, 12:20 pm

Nan wrote:
My Vote: Adolescent males in hopped up pickup trucks with jacked up suspensions and overlarge tires, with mudflaps with cutouts of anatomically impossible females on them. Said males who insist on driving well over the speed limit, playing music loudly from bass-enhanced speakers, while ignoring most traffic laws and the basic physics of stopping distance.

You forgot the part where they drive slowly through towns so that everyone can hear their bass-enhanced speakers, forcing you to pass them on the right in your compact car, at which point they become enraged at being passed by a small car and pull up beside you to scream obscene insults.