Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 3:46 pm

Yes.The dogs I work with love me and it feels really good.The only hard part is that I can't always do what they want,which is to get the heck out of their kennels and run free.So my job is both pleasurable and painful.I hate to see them so stressed and nhappy being 'caged'.I try and make it a little better by giving them as much attention as possible but they get jelous of each other and want to be the center of attention...so that is hard to.I think they are like NT's in this way?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:02 am

My screenname attests to my love of cats. My cats are my kids, too. I have always had a compassion for animals, especially cats.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:07 am

my birds and my cats are the best.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:16 pm

All animals a lot better than humans.

out in nature they let me see them,

The only place I feel totally welcome.

Macallan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2007, 1:25 pm

Absolutely. It's why I work with horses, and have my own horse and dog. I can have easy, relaxed conversations with them, they don't judge me, I don't have to dress up for them, and we can all just be ourselves. Horses and dogs never lie.

As I've mentioned before, it's recognised in my family that unless someone has four legs and a tail they're of limited interest to me :lol:

jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2007, 3:16 pm

Yes very much so. And my pets have always been the best. I get angry when people think they can explain animals. It's called anthropomorphizing, I think. Just let them be animals, I say. I hate zoos and circuses. And I feel that most people have pets for very, very wrong reasons. I hate to see dogs stuck in a back yard, or birds stuck in cages.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:44 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Does anyone else feel like they can relate to animals better than other people, in general?

Always have. Was raised as a feral child.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 4:38 pm

Every species of animal is as different from all others as humans are from other animals, and every individual of those varying species is just that; an individual...so it would be wrong of me to say that I relate well to "animals" (keeping in mind that humans are animals, too.)

There are a few species I like; I like cats, especially strange cats that I meet in the street. I find living with any creature difficult, but I get on well with my cats most of the time. I used to be crazy about keeping pets, but I tend to find the obligation difficult to cope with. And I am beginning to find the idea of confining any creature to be unsavoury... Nowadays I prefer to observe wild animals instead.

I love wild foxes; I see them in the street near where I live and all around London. I once followed one at close proximity all around the deserted market, near where I live at four in the morning.

I have a thing for small insects and "pest" type animals. I love wild rodents (rats and mice, especially the tube-mice found on the London underground.)

I've always had a "thing" for cockroaches as well (since I watched a bizarre film called "Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful life", aged 5-6) and I have a pair of Madagascan Hissers in my room. I'm trying to breed them. They are probably the only pets I'd want to keep, now. Quiet, unassuming and cute as hell. :)

I don't think I can relate to animals in a Temple Grandin kind of way, but I appreciate them.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm

Aridarr wrote:
Every species of animal is as different from all others as humans are from other animals, and every individual of those varying species is just that; an individual...so it would be wrong of me to say that I relate well to "animals" (keeping in mind that humans are animals, too.)

I agree with this. This was the idea I had in mind when I said, "in general".

I often wonder how different humans really are from other animals. In many ways, we are the same. The differences we commonly point to are not really differences. For instance, we are not the only animals that use tools or build structures. And we cannot say for certain that other animals do not create art or have belief systems.

One fundamental difference between us and other animals is the fact that we deny that we are animals. We pretend to be gods. Violent gods.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:16 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Aridarr wrote:

I agree with this. This was the idea I had in mind when I said, "in general".

I often wonder how different humans really are from other animals. In many ways, we are the same. The differences we commonly point to are not really differences. For instance, we are not the only animals that use tools or build structures. And we cannot say for certain that other animals do not create art or have belief systems.

One fundamental difference between us and other animals is the fact that we deny that we are animals. We pretend to be gods. Violent gods.

I think it has something to do with our ability to record and pass on knowledge using written language. That is one thing we a certain no other animal has developed the ability to do.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:19 pm

Yep. I got along well with Claire, my hermit crab.