How do you make yourself fall asleep?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

loske
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2007, 7:05 am

I play games by myself. I try to list all the countries or tv shows or suburbs that I can think of in alphabetical order. If I focus my brain on something this simple it eventually gets bored and i sleep.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Nov 2007, 1:49 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
however since it has gotton cooler out I have noticed I sleep much better. I like to wrap my comforter all around me and need it to be cold in order to not sweat to death

Yeah, being cold helps. During the summer, I have to run the A/C no matter how expensive, because I simply cannot sleep if too warm. We've had a drop in temperature here in Florida, and I slept wonderfully the last two nights. Also, I need a folded blanket across my feet, the weight helps, or something.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 10:17 am

Lunesta or getting busy.

DeStRuCtO
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2007, 12:55 pm

I don't try to sleep, it just happens...I guess.

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2007, 1:17 pm

i either play one of my consoles until i feel like my eyelids are made of lead, or read, that usually does the trick =)

bjorker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 2:15 am

I have had sleeping troubles since I could remember. Even as a little kid. I'd lay there in the dark and have conversations with my stuffed animals.

What I've been doing lately is the best thing I've found so far to trick myself into falling sleep.

First of all, I stay up as late as I possibly can. Probably not a good thing. I definitely haven't been getting enough sleep. However, I think the rest of what I do would still work pretty well without doing that, I just get too involved in what I'm doing to make myself go to bed.

I stopped sleeping in my bed, and instead lay down on the couch. I turn on the tv to something completely boring like the 24/7 local news channel, turn it on mute when I know I'm getting close to sleep, and turn on white noise on my laptop. I use iserenity.com. I actually use 4 different white noises open in different tabs. I have them all saved to a folder in my bookmarks, and just select "open all tabs", and they all open at once. Then I play really "boring" games while laying there, usually Hearts. Soon it becomes too hard to keep my eyes open, so I turn over and usually fall right asleep. It's kind of like tricking myself into thinking that it's not actually time to go to sleep. If I go lay down in bed, my mind just races a mile a minute. Always has. So I try not to give myself the chance to do that. I've always been a champion at falling asleep at random times during the day when things are going on around me, but as soon as it's "time to sleep", I can't do it. So for me it was all about tricking my brain to NOT think "it's time to go to sleep", if that makes sense.

Another big thing was NOT having to get up and go to work in the morning, which always gave me a lot more anxiety about falling asleep the night before. I know that often can't be helped, but it made a big difference for me. Then again, now I'm just woken up early by a toddler, but I don't get anxiety about that. If you really aren't getting the sleep you need and have any possible way to switch jobs to something that has a swing shift option, that might be worthwhile. Good luck!

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2007, 3:15 pm

You could try putting some milk in the microwave. Warm milk is supposed to help sleep.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 11:24 am

moo_cow wrote:
You could try putting some milk in the microwave. Warm milk is supposed to help sleep.
yock! :x i hate warm milk! :evil:

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2007, 3:35 pm

batista90 wrote:
moo_cow wrote:
yock! :x i hate warm milk! :evil:

Then try adding some vodka with your warm milk to make a sleepy cocktail.

elvenmage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2007, 3:54 pm

I stay up on my computer untill my eyes are starting to close themselves, then i can enjoy falling asleep in 10 minutes or so. 8)

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 9:43 pm

Zolpidem.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm

im going to have a really hard time falling asleep tonite and i have no passion flower tablets left! i drank 5 cups of ice tea and like 4 cups of green tea today. im already wide awake but for some reason it isnt bothering me :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm

Work nights at 10:PM my cat comes to remind me to go to bed.
I turn off my computer (at 10PM my time WP goes down for maintenance every nite, I attribute the fact I still have a job to that fact.) go to bed and turn on KGO.810 AM with late night so far left the bed tips that way talk radio. I love it, been listening to it for years ( my perseveration is politics and US Government) and drift off, and when I wake up several times in the night I have it there to listen to as I drift off again. I work hard all day, so when I come home, feed myself, do a little WP and I am ready for sleep.
on those nights when I can't sleep, I use the Sybian, and that usually clinches it.

Merle

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 11:54 am

I used have that trouble but not any more since I'm in year ten, but it can happen to me. I just play music to help me.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 12:09 pm

Timelady wrote:
I used have that trouble but not any more since I'm in year ten, but it can happen to me. I just play music to help me.

Hello Timelady,
I am curious as to what 'since I am in year ten' might mean. Please enlighten me?
thanks!

Merle

amhealy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2007, 12:52 pm

I often have my cases running through my mind at rapid-pace speed when I lay down at night and it wakes me up to the point where I want to jump out of bed and run back to my office and do more work.

I listen to talk radio. T.V. light bothers me and keeps me awake. I figured out that if I listened to talk radio at a low volume to where I can barely hear it, it distracts me from my thoughts and I fall asleep pretty easily. I bought ear buds rather than headphones because I like to lay on my side to fall asleep. With ear buds, I can lay on my side and just put one bud in the exposed ear.