How do you make yourself fall asleep?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

amhealy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2007, 12:52 pm

I often have my cases running through my mind at rapid-pace speed when I lay down at night and it wakes me up to the point where I want to jump out of bed and run back to my office and do more work.

I listen to talk radio. T.V. light bothers me and keeps me awake. I figured out that if I listened to talk radio at a low volume to where I can barely hear it, it distracts me from my thoughts and I fall asleep pretty easily. I bought ear buds rather than headphones because I like to lay on my side to fall asleep. With ear buds, I can lay on my side and just put one bud in the exposed ear.

KindaRetarded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2007, 3:14 pm

So many suggestions requiring drugs, milk, vodka, or heavy blankets. I think we may be overlooking the most simplest and pleasurable solution. Masturbation helps. Don't ignore it just because it's naughty to talk about.

sweet dreams. :wink:

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 3:28 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Timelady wrote:
I used have that trouble but not any more since I'm in year ten, but it can happen to me. I just play music to help me.

Hello Timelady,
I am curious as to what 'since I am in year ten' might mean. Please enlighten me?
thanks!

Merle

Year 10 means 10th Grade, but not by intelligence, by age range.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 12:06 am

I just fall asleep. I don't really do anything per se.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IronicChef
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Nov 2007, 12:12 am

When I was a child I stimmed - rolling my head left to right (and even now I still occasionally fall back on that, though it never works).

What does work most often is closing my eyes and focusing on the random patterns that my optic nerve seems to generate in response to a lack of stimulation - I see flashes that resolve to faces, space ships, landscapes, and whatever. I never dwell on these "images" - just let them pass and await the next one. They're usually pretty rapid-fire. At some point I sleep, and wake hours later.

I rarely recall dreaming, though. I sort of feel cheated by that. NT's get to dream all the time, it seems, and they know they did. I just wake up after a period of nothingness, and I'm jealous of folks who say they dreamed of things that I can imagine desiring in my conscious life.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 12:48 am

Proprioceptive input. More blankets, and my arms tucked under me. It relaxes me immediately.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 1:06 am

Exhaustion! It should do it every time! I could sleep standing most days, but all the others, well, they are spent leading up to the point of exhaustion :wink:

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 1:14 am

Exhaustion! It should do it every time! I could sleep standing most days, but all the others, well, they are spent leading up to the point of exhaustion :wink:

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2007, 5:29 pm

Xanax works for me if Tylonel PM won't. I could name almost a billion others such as Trazadone, Ativan, Ambien, Lunesta. Just ask your local pharmacist.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2007, 5:30 pm

If you want to fall asleep quick and fast. Try staying awake for one week. Then run a marathon.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 12:23 am

I'm not AS,but I do have lots of trouble falling asleep at night. I take Melatonin and that helps me more than anything, and if something is stuck in my mind (usually all the things I still have to do the next day!) then I try and read a book that is somewhat boring, for example right now I have Photoshop for Dummies that I am reading! :wink:

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2007, 12:41 am

i will be up all nite watching all those A Haunting videos i havent seen from episode 1! :D

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2007, 12:48 am

I have to wear ear plugs and sleep in a quiet, dark room. I also need to sleep relatively low to the ground and with a blanket over me. Having a cat or two ont eh bed with me helps too.

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2007, 12:55 am

"For the first twenty years of my life I rocked myself to sleep. It was a harmless enough hobby, but eventually I had to give it up. Throughout the next twenty-two years I lay still and discovered that after a few minutes I could drop off with no problem. Follow seven beers with a couple of scotches and a thimble of good marijuana, and it's funny how sleep just sort of comes on its own. Often I never even make it to bed. I'd squat down to pet the cat and wake up on the floor eight hours later, having lost a perfectly good excuse to change my clothes. I'm now told that this is not called "going to sleep" but rather "passing out," a phrase that carries a distinct hint of judgement."

---David Sedaris