How do you make yourself fall asleep?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 2:43 am

Its 2:40am and I have to work at 9am. I've been laying in bed all night but I can't go to sleep, because I can't stop thinking about cars.

How do you guys fall asleep when you have your interests running through your minds? I'm going to be useless at work if I don't get to sleep soon. I hope i'm not the only aspie that does this.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

03 Nov 2007, 3:02 am

I have had SO many nights like that. Sometimes I try taking a mild painkiller and a glass of milk. Sometimes I get dressed and run around the block a few times. I don't know if either of those will help, but it's worth a try.

I find that my insomnia is usually not do to a thought obsession, even tho it accompanies it. For example, if I succeed in diverting my mind from one train of thought, another one comes and takes its place anyway.

I better get some sleep myself. Good luck to ya!

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:06 am

I have problems like this sometimes. Just watch tv or a movie that has nothing to do with what your obsessing about and you will start to feel tired and eventually fall asleep. If your still not tired after the first movie or tv show keep watching more of them until you do. It works for me anyway.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:17 am

2X4 to the head :twisted:

When my mind is stuck on something, I just have to think it out or wait until I am so tired I fall asleep.
I've even gotten up and tried to do something boring so I might clear my mind and finally fall asleep.
This is why my average amount of sleep sucks.

Other than drugs... I have no idea. Sorry.

Hope someone else comes up with a bright idea... that works.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 4:00 am

I close my eyes.

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2007, 4:03 am

Heavy blankets and a fan. Before I knew that I had AS I was listening to the radio and on it was a woman giving tips on raising a child with autism. And one tip was weighted blankets to help with sleep and I remember thinking "Man those sound like an awesome idea. I want those." Haha.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 5:26 am

What works well for me when in moderate anxiety, is saying the rosary or counting to 10. With the counting to 10, I observe that if I entertain a thought in this counting , I have to start again. The technique I taught myself, and when I stick to these self-imposed rules it works.

Most often I get to 6 or 7 and im off getting into a thought like traveling in a speed boat, so when that happens I just go back to counting from the start again. By the time I do make it to a clear 10...well, i never do im offzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 6:01 am

heavy plankets and a tv in my room:D

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 6:51 am

I really hate going to sleep, I've become increasingly afraid of bed time.
When I lie in bed, I have no videogames to play and no music to listen to or no tv to watch, nothing to keep my mind distracted, so I just have to think intensely about random s**t, usually my own stories, because if my brain is not occupied on something, the bad thoughts take over. I feel like a freakin maniac, I'm lying there talking to myself and ranting about something, and occasionally I shake my head frantically and say something like "Ah, NO . . . ah, s**t, BAD . . . bad, no stop! STOP!". Then I stumble around in my words like an idiot and try to keep ranting about something.
I do this until I fade out and wake up like 10 hours later, then I repeat the process until I am ready to get up and do something to focus my mind on.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 9:04 am

I have this problem sometimes as well.
I don't have any solution to it myself.
Usually, I'm just lying in bed, thinking about s**t until I wake up in the morning realizing I actually fell asleep, only now I have one hellishly unfocused day of sleepiness to look forward to.

criss wrote:
What works well for me when in moderate anxiety, is saying the rosary or counting to 10. With the counting to 10, I observe that if I entertain a thought in this counting , I have to start again. The technique I taught myself, and when I stick to these self-imposed rules it works.

Most often I get to 6 or 7 and im off getting into a thought like traveling in a speed boat, so when that happens I just go back to counting from the start again. By the time I do make it to a clear 10...well, i never do im offzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good idea.
I will try this method.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:04 am

devster21 wrote:
How do you guys fall asleep when you have your interests running through your minds? I'm going to be useless at work if I don't get to sleep soon. I hope i'm not the only aspie that does this.

that's me too. often i have my interests running through my mind and cannot fall asleep therefore. it's just simply not possible. the only thing you can do about it is to free your mind. it's like a meditation, but with different purpose. just stop thinking. for beginning there will be this tennis match inside of your mind, the thoughts will be popping back, but eventually you will find a piece of quite mind and fall asleep...

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:43 am

I have the room as dark as possible and I wear earplugs. Sometimes I wear those eyeshades. But it's hard for me to fall asleep.

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2007, 11:48 am

Last Saturday night I was thinking too much about something that I could not sleep at all. Then there was a storm blowing outside, so I stuck my headphones on. Really can't sleep with them on. If you can get out of the rut for a second, try thinking of songs, or a tv show. If you can get off the topic, you should be ok. It's pretty annoying, because when you go to bed, you tend to go through things that have happened that day, and one particular thing that you did that day can go through your head for HOURS. In fact, that night I was thinking about something I had done on the Wednesday, so it had carried itself over that long. Have found myself shout-whispering at myself to stop thinking and go to sleep, before now.

Sleeping pills make me cranky when I get up, and its normally a lot later than I should.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:55 am

devster21 wrote:
Its 2:40am and I have to work at 9am. I've been laying in bed all night but I can't go to sleep, because I can't stop thinking about cars.

:lol: ... try to think about Kangoo's... or Dareways :arrow:

Sorenzo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2007, 12:04 pm

A few nights ago I stayed up for three hours talking to myself. Fortunately, my mind seems to work better when I'm tired as heck, except for the nasty memory loss I'm often experiencing. I suggest finding something interesting to read that makes you less agitated instead of more agitated. I like reading scientific magazines but always get tired after a few pages, so it's pretty ideal. And just try to lie still. Oh, and don't eat within some hours of going to bed. And if you have to, stay away from coffeine.

WhiskeryBeast

03 Nov 2007, 12:21 pm

I start out with a white noise sound like a fan, and the weighted blankets do help as long as you don't get overheated. I imagine how I would decorate my dream house or what I would do wit a million dollars.