Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2007, 6:50 am

This would of happened circa 1986-1987 I would of been five at the time.
It just dawned on me tonight! even though the event happened nearly 20 years ago

Well anyway My family and I were sitting at home eating dinner. About 5 minutes progressed than all of a sudden "SMASH" the light bulb just exploded!! !

The house we lived in at the time wasn't very old and would of been built in the late 70's and history of faulty wiring.

And normally light bulbs don't explode when they die they just go out.

So can somebody please explain to me logically what happened that night?! :?: :?: :?: :?:

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2007, 10:28 am

The only time I've ever had a lightbulb explode was shortly after I accidentally knocked the lamp over. I think the bulb cracked, then the vacuum seal gave way. So maybe your bulb had been bumped earlier? or maybe a factory defect?

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 10:39 am

lightbulbs also explode impressively if they have been on long enough to get hot and then a drop of water splashes on them. maybe some condensation or damp from the ceiling?

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 11:21 am

It's typically the bulb, not the fixture. Poor quality, off-brand bulbs are prone to failing in a spectacular fashion. It has something to do with the way they handle the surge of power that occurs at the moment of filament failure.

Though having overly high voltage in your home can cause premature burnouts in bulbs, if the problem is localized to a specific type of bulb in a specific fixture it's even more likely to be the bulb.

Wafting steam from a hot dinner can supply enough moisture to pop the bulb!

Sorry, I didn't find any inference it was poltergeists