Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:10 am

Well, I had a nice surprise this morning.

I take the bus to the train stop to get to work every morning. I'm mobility impaired but you have to see me limp along to know - I don't use a cane or anything. I always feel like the other people on the bus every morning find me an annoyance - always sitting in the handicapped seats without a cane to show I'm disabled, always taking forever to haul myself up into the bus/train, etc. And with my AS, I figure I don't do the social cr*p well enough to compensate for my being so in-the-way all the time.

So anyway, I got off the bus this morning and, walking across the brick plaza to the stairs to the subway, I caught my foot and fell down. THREE people rushed up and asked if I was OK, and actually hauled me back onto my feet. If they hadn't helped me up, I would have had to crawl a couple yards/metres to the stairs and use the bannister to get onto my feet - not too difficult, but fairly embarrassing, especially in front of people I already assumed despised me.

So, anyway, maybe they just forgot themselves and reacted on instinct, but I felt like maybe I'm not considered as big a pain-in-the-*ss as I thought! So, I just wanted to tell someone, and there's nobody at work I'd feel comfortable talking to, so I came here :)

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:05 am

That is a heartwarming story! I've been on both sides of that a few times. I think for decent people it is an instinct to rush in and help someone if they are able to, but for others the instinct is to run the other way.
When I had to use a cane for a few months, people were so nice and accomodating. It was amazing. I wonder if maybe you might use one so you do not fall again, especially if your winter is icy and treacherous.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:24 am

Are you ok? That sounded like a nasty fall.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:36 am

Kalister1

Yup, just fine. A bruised arm and a skinned knee (not on my bad leg, fortunately). I'm well padded/plump, so I don't get hurt too easily.

Riverotter-

I asked my Dr for an Rx for a cane, and she felt I didn't need it. I'll complain about the falling (this is the second time) and try to get her to OK it.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:34 am

That is heart-warming story KaliMa...stories like that restore my faith in humanity :)

I hope your bruises heal soon!

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 11:14 am

Glad to hear that you're OK after that fall, and very glad to hear that people were quick to come and help you up today. It's really nice that you listed a positive story of human kindness today!

Kris

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 2:57 pm

I can only assume that if you see the same people every day on the bus, then they probably have seen you walk, and know that you have some trouble. Just be friendly and know that these people might have more of an interest in you than you think. Be pleasant and say 'good morning' it never hurts.