Do you like when you get your haircut?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:09 pm

I absolutely hate it, I had to get it washed and cut today, first I had a sensory overload due to the noise and too much touchin, then she scratched my ear, got my shirt wet, ah it was horrible! Whats everybody else opinions on haircuts, do you like it or hate it?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:13 pm

I hate it. Especially when the hairdresser starts small talking. Small talking can be interesting, but not with people I've never met before.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:14 pm

I like haircuts. I don't have any sensory issues associated with them.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:24 pm

I hate haircuts! :x
I am trying to grow my hair out for the winter just to keep myself warm.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:31 pm

Getting my hair cut feels good. I love it.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:35 pm

I enjoy cutting my hair, and cutting other people's hair, but I don't like professional hair cuts. I don't see the point of pro hair cuts. It's not that hard to cut hair. There are books that explain how to do it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:36 pm

It feels good when i have a haircut dats why i go every 6 wks 2 shave it off.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2007, 3:46 pm

I don't get haircuts because they suck.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2007, 3:53 pm

I like my hair short. I like having it cut, only if the same person does it because she does it in the right way each time :roll:

username88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 4:01 pm

As long as I dont have to say much usually Im alright.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2007, 4:15 pm

I love the cutting process itself because it is actually quite relaxing. However, I hate the chit-chat with the stylist: I can never come up with anything to talk about and so there's usually several awkward silences as she tries to talk with me.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 4:36 pm

I just got my hair cut on Saturday, and my wife said I was physically tense through the whole process. I guess it's not so bad, I just don't really like it. I don't have any sensory issues with it, but I think partly it may be associations with when my mum and grandmother used to brush my hair, and it always hurt - they'd never believe me. It felt like someone was trying to tear my scalp off or cut it open with knives, they pressed so hard with the brush. There's probably something residual from that.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 4:50 pm

I just got a haircut the other day, the first one in probably 5 years. I've been cutting my own hair, but it gets tiresome, and I when it starts to grow out I can't do anything with it so I end up keeping it really short.

I'm never satisfied with haircuts I get though, and it is a stressful experience generally having to try to tell them what I want, and then make small talk.
Going to the dentist is so much easier in this regard because they usually understand if you don't say much to them. :lol:

I love the clean fresh feeling after my hair is cut and washed though.

Maybe there should be an aspie stylist directory, so that we can find like minded people to do the job.
That would be great.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 5:39 pm

I haven't had a professional haircut in about 6 years. I always despised the small talk and they never got my hair right anyway. Now I have my husband cut my hair with our Flowbee. He just cuts it all about 6 inches long and it looks great. I love the feel of the vacuum on my head. :D

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 5:47 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I absolutely hate it, I had to get it washed and cut today, first I had a sensory overload due to the noise and too much touchin, then she scratched my ear, got my shirt wet, ah it was horrible! Whats everybody else opinions on haircuts, do you like it or hate it?

Age1600,
what noise was it?

try and find an SN/autism experienced hair dressers,they won't advertise it,so will need things explaining, for example-needing to have an appointment when no one else is in,having all hair dryers,radios etc turned off...

or what about trying a hair dresser who visits the home to cut hair instead,or relative?

Although this is no use as it's in a different country,can recommend Geminis in Urmston,always gave am an appointment with no other appointments around it,made sure all electronic equipment is switched off,dry cut [due to sensory issues with water] cut hair quick but without pulling,staff are very nice and understanding,they have a lot of experience with autistic and LD clients,staff at old home said most of the residential homes in area take clients there.
don't live near there anymore so have haircut by sister instead,gets it done fast,no pulling,she can't do thinning out though which is a problem.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 5:50 pm

I like my haircutter lady and I absolutly love the feel of my hair being cut, my favorite is towards the end when the razor moves up and down my neck, thats sooooooo good!! !

However, she tryes to talk to me, ask how work is going and how my dad is, this sucks for 2 reasons, not that I dont like social interaction with her during our breif visit, but indeed, i dont have much to talk about and also when im talking or thinking of what to say or processing what she said I can concintrate on the feeling of my hair being cut, that almost pisses me off sometimes, tho I always remain polite.