Aspies-- does it bother you to be called autistic?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2007, 3:32 pm

I think that it depends on the context it is being used in. If it is taunting or hateful, then yes, I would hate it very much. But in an intelligent conversation then no.

If they do not understand, then this is an opportunity to impart a new understanding to them about Autism and AS.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:43 pm

Ana54 wrote:
It bothers me a little because when most people think about autism, they think of an unaware child, lost in daydream, banging his head, not talking, making odd noises, not being able to be in school, needing intense, demeaning, simple and intelligence-insulting therapy, etc.

Sounds like me a few years ago. And I'm not HFA (maybe not even aspie.)

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:50 pm

I've never been called autistic, but I probably won't be too bothered.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 4:02 pm

My son was diagnosed as high functioning autistic, shortly before people started diagnosing high functioning autistic people as aspergers. My son prefers the high functioning autistic label over aspergers.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 7:36 pm

It bothers me to be called an "Aspie" because it sounds like a very demeaning insult. Honestly, I'd rather be called mildy Autistic.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 7:47 pm

No coz I am.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2007, 7:56 pm

I defer to the idea that the reasoning behind labeling at all should be for either self-identity or for purposes of getting services.

So, that being said, I don't care what they call it. I hope that the more that I stress that AS is still on the autism spectrum and the more education I provide to people about AS, the idea that all people with autism fit in the LFA box with the flapping and uncontrollable stimming and rocking and head banging will begin to disipate.

I don't care. We're still autistic just not in the typically defined sense. I think that some day there will be a better name for AS even. We vary so much and are of such different types and behaviours that there probably should be different types of Asperger's as well. Does that make sense?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 10:05 pm

Liverbird wrote:
...fit in the LFA box with the flapping and uncontrollable stimming and rocking and head banging will begin to disipate.

To cloud your vision, people with AS are just as much the hand flapping, hand twirling, self-harming and rocking people as those with LFA. LFA are generally more aloof to people, whereas those with AS seek people out but have difficulty doing it (+ the verbal impairment in those with autism).

I've seen more people with AS "stim" to a greater extent than myself and another "LFA" man I've witnessed.

flikr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2007, 11:43 pm

not at all, at least people know that i have a brain problem and i'm not just a complete idiot

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 11:46 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Liverbird wrote:
...fit in the LFA box with the flapping and uncontrollable stimming and rocking and head banging will begin to disipate.

To cloud your vision, people with AS are just as much the hand flapping, hand twirling, self-harming and rocking people as those with LFA. LFA are generally more aloof to people, whereas those with AS seek people out but have difficulty doing it (+ the verbal impairment in those with autism).

I've seen more people with AS "stim" to a greater extent than myself and another "LFA" man I've witnessed.

Quoted for complete agreement. I'm AS/HFA, yet I do all of that and then some.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:50 am

Don't hate me for saying this, but I'd actually rather be called autistic than aspie.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 Nov 2007, 9:44 am

It all depends on the way the word "autistic" is used, for me.

For example, for someone who obviously did not really know much about autism called me autistic I would probably just intervene and say..."mildly autistic".

If someone who knows about autism said that I am autistic, I would correct them and say..."actually I have AS".

If someone was trying to ridicule me by saying, for example..."you are autistic so you are ret*d" (baring in mind the person who said this was very small brained lol) it probably would bother me at first, but after thinking about how small their brain must be, I will excuse this "anti-social" behavior and move on :lol:

Generally if a family member refers to me being autistic to someone else, I don't mind because I am not the one who has to describe AS to them .

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:36 am

I think it depends on the definition of the word "autistic". If it's used to describe any person on the autistic spectrum (which at least where I live it is), it wouldn't be wrong to say people with Asperger's syndrome ARE autistic. So what? In medical terms it wouldn't be wrong. I don't see why anyone would be insulted by use of the word.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 11:50 am

Eller wrote:
I think it depends on the definition of the word "autistic". If it's used to describe any person on the autistic spectrum (which at least where I live it is), it wouldn't be wrong to say people with Asperger's syndrome ARE autistic. So what? In medical terms it wouldn't be wrong. I don't see why anyone would be insulted by use of the word.

It's probably better in Germany, after all, Hans was born near there, and spoke German. In the U.S., it seemed like Autistic almost meant idiot. That is odd, since I doubt very many here would be anywhere near that. Then again, under the worst circumstances, many may seem to be. I have had some pretty bad days myself. Then again, NTs have that SAME problem. Drugs and alcohol work to make that even MORE obvious. If NTs didn't have the same problems, the world would be a better place for everyone.

But you are right. It means anyone on the spectrum. AS people are autistic. In medical terms, it is right. It is just the perception is often bad.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2007, 11:55 am

beau99 wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
Liverbird wrote:

Quoted for complete agreement. I'm AS/HFA, yet I do all of that and then some.

Let me qualify my quoting. I realise in reading your comments that you midunderstood me. I meant that although those things are highly indicative and are still present, the public presentation of the stims becomes diminshed with functioning level. In other words, we learn to hide those stims because it doesn't "look right/normal". I agree though, that the pure variety of AS people tremendously clouds the entire vision.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 12:15 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
But you are right. It means anyone on the spectrum. AS people are autistic. In medical terms, it is right. It is just the perception is often bad.

Really? I haven't ever noticed a negative perception of autism. People who are informed about autism are usually very tolerant about it, and people who aren't informed usually just ask "Autists? Aren't that those people who are really good at maths?", because apparently some autist wrote a book about his maths obsession and it was all over the mass media. (I haven't read it.) To equate autism and idiocy would be rather dumb, and around here, I doubt anybody would. It's rather shocking to read what some of you guys on WP have to put up with.
But I don't think that has anything to do with where Hans Asperger was born. It's more like a cultural thing. Didn't you know that in some rural areas around here autists are still considered "god-touched"? :lol:

And yes, NTs have problems too, they're just usually better at hiding them.