Aspies-- does it bother you to be called autistic?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 12:38 am

i was called that when i was younger cos that is what they thought i was. now it does not worry me much.

whitbywoof
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2007, 3:52 am

It doesn't bother me.
In fact, seeing a functioning home-owning adult in a full time job and a permanent relationship might help to dispel the 'head-banging nutter' autistic stereotype.
If other people don't know the meaning of the word autistic, that's their problem, not ours.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 4:19 am

I don't mind, because in Germany, the term "autistic" is used for ANY sort of autistic spectrum personality type. The distinction between HFA and Asperger's syndrome is simply not made, the terms are used interchangeably. The children's doctor described my condition simply as "autistic with high intelligence, nice little girl, no therapy needed". Of course, the approach to autism might be different in other cultures.
I haven't been called "autistic" by others, usually they don't even notice anything unusual about me other than that I'm a quiet person, dependable, good at maths and chess and "not the party type", which aren't bad things at all, so nobody would consider that an illness.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 7:00 am

Danielismyname wrote:
It's a misconception that states those who're "classically autistic" are always mute and always melting.

We're more aloof, but that's not always a "bad" thing.

agreed,classic/Kanners is just as unique as aspergers is,and each experience of it is different.

people need to stop only believing in what the pro cure groups want everyone to see as the only experience of autism-the severely MR+LFAer,in the UK,the national autistic society have a new awareness campaign [think differently] about autism and aspergers which should start to encourage a more educated view on autism.

Quote:
It doesn't bother me.
In fact, seeing a functioning home-owning adult in a full time job and a permanent relationship might help to dispel the 'head-banging nutter' autistic stereotype.
If other people don't know the meaning of the word autistic, that's their problem, not ours.

am under the 'head banging nutter' autie stereotype,it won't be dispelled as it is a true definition for some,and it's what all the pro cure groups use to get sympathy and funding.
but agreed-it's other peoples' problem for not knowing what autism is,although people can often only know what they're given unless they specifically look for information themselves,so more awareness is needed,autism [as a spectrum] needs to be given a balanced view.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 8:14 am

It does bother me, since most people think of Rain Man when they hear about autism. There is a huge difference between AS/HFA and classic "Rain Man autism".

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 8:29 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
There is a huge difference between AS/HFA and classic "Rain Man autism".

We rock more (see: "stim"), we're more aloof, most of us cannot work/"date"/study [normally], but we still appear the same as those with AS; the main difference being a genuine verbal impairment, and a greater propensity to "meltdown".

There's not much difference between autistic disorder and Asperger's.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 9:02 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
There is a huge difference between AS/HFA and classic "Rain Man autism".

We rock more (see: "stim"), we're more aloof, most of us cannot work/"date"/study [normally], but we still appear the same as those with AS; the main difference being a genuine verbal impairment, and a greater propensity to "meltdown".

There's not much difference between autistic disorder and Asperger's.

You misunderstood. I didn't say there was a huge difference between HFA and Asperger's, but that it was a huge difference between HFA/AS and medium-/low-function autists like Rain Man.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2007, 9:09 am

fivecents wrote:
I work in a college research office and when we have people doing autistim research they leave the aspies out. Too high functioning. I still wonder if AS is in ASD. I wonder if ASD people are opposite brained like AS, or something completely different. Everyone here sure seems normal to me with the exception of reactions to other people. NTs just let rudeness and bullying roll of their back while AS tend to dwell. It must be the hyperfocusing on things NTs don’t care about while NTs hyperfocus on things AS don’t care about. Autism seems a world apart. I would love to do some sort of awareness campaign and recruit adults who suspect they have AS in for a diagnosis and brain scan. Compare to NTs and compare to Autism. I think because NTs are so unaware of AS that there is no understanding when someone is different but the same. Awareness would sure cut down on the rudeness and bullying, and would help at work. Imagine a world where you got to do what you are good at and not have to do the things you are not good at? Develop a product but not have to network and market the product. There is a place in this world for both, and it sure would be grim without all the AS minds out there!!

According to the latest research, the brain "issues" found on MRI's of autistics are identical to those of Asperger's. I believe that Asperger's is extremely high functioning autism. Maybe only 4 of the 5 genes were "triggered" or something. It is definitely on the Autism Spectrum, though.

BTW, first comment on here I found insulting. I don't care what others think. My son is moderately autistic and none of those stereotypes fit him. None of his therapies are "demeaning" and he is not constantly lost and unaware. It just takes effort to keep him from being so. Maybe if people spoke up more and explained autism to others, these "stereotypes" would disappear.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 9:23 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
You misunderstood. I didn't say there was a huge difference between HFA and Asperger's, but that it was a huge difference between HFA/AS and medium-/low-function autists like Rain Man.

Nope, autistic disorder is LFA [for the most part], the bottom of the spectrum, those of us with normal/high IQs who also have autistic disorder are around the middle and those with AS are at the top.

This is from my psychiatrist who sees people with autism and Asperger's (he's been seeing people with autism for a long time).

"Rain Man" and other autistic savants aren't "common".

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 9:50 am

Ana54 wrote:
It bothers me a little because when most people think about autism, they think of an unaware child, lost in daydream

ha! that first bit sounds just like me as a child.

Taking a break.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Nov 2007, 1:53 pm

nobodys called me autistic, just wierd.

TitanDak
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2007, 2:24 pm

No. But I hate the term "aspie" it just sounds dumb and is simmalr to what people do with names of dogs to make them short and cute. Instead of Yorkshire Terrier we have "yorkie" (which is dumb). What am I am "Asperger Terrier?

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 2:43 pm

TitanDak wrote:
Asperger Terrier?

Sounds cute! :lol:

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 2:58 pm

I have a severely autistic daughter and a very academically smart aspy (terrier) son. I doubt that different genes caused the two. There are some abnormally high IQ's in my family and not as much common sense. Maybe AS genes were a mutation that got passed down and are still delicate. Maybe asperger is a good way for humans to evolve but severe autism is when it malfunctions.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:01 pm

No it doesn't bother me.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2007, 3:32 pm

I think that it depends on the context it is being used in. If it is taunting or hateful, then yes, I would hate it very much. But in an intelligent conversation then no.

If they do not understand, then this is an opportunity to impart a new understanding to them about Autism and AS.