Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Nichabod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2007, 9:17 pm

Hey all, I'm a 27 year old guy, married to a great wife and I'm pretty sure I have Asperger's.
I've never thought that my specific routines and how I see a crowd of people and immediately clam up would be considered a disorder. I know I exhibit OCD behavior (specifically ordering, you should see my comic collection), but it wasn't until my wife pointed me towards Asperger's that my entire life clicked. Everything I've been dealing with for as long as I can remember just fell into place.

I've never been much of a social person, always bullied and always thinking that the people around me have no common sense, expecting them to understand me; "I know exactly what I'm talking about, why don't you?" I see so much of myself in the personal accounts I've read from others. From the odd way of speaking (my manager at work calls me a depressed up-talker), the extreme social awkwardness, the obsessions. I'm just glad I found this place. The part of my life I want to change the most is I want to learn how to make small talk easier. Things that people take for granted when they've had them their whole lives.

It's such a relief to know I'm not must messed in the head.

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Nov 2007, 9:26 pm

welcome! does your life also have AS or did she just read about it?

Nichabod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2007, 9:35 pm

alex wrote:
welcome! does your wife also have AS or did she just read about it?

She read about it on a different forum and said "holy crap, that sounds like Nick!", Did some more research and then told me about it. Then BAM. It all fits.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm

Welcome Nichabod,

A moment to remember, life does make sense, at least with the thousands on WP.

All of the symtoms have range, affecting more or less, so there are people with no problem with social small talk, eye contact, but once they did.

The great thing about this place is you can find someone one step ahead, who will tell you how they did it, and another half dozen will join in, and fill out the range.

Small study groups on any support topic.

Welcome home.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:19 pm

Nice to meet you, Nich. :)

I'm Jerry.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

06 Nov 2007, 4:31 am

Nichabod wrote:
Hey all, I'm a 27 year old guy, married to a great wife and I'm pretty sure I have Asperger's.
I've never thought that my specific routines and how I see a crowd of people and immediately clam up would be considered a disorder. I know I exhibit OCD behavior (specifically ordering, you should see my comic collection), but it wasn't until my wife pointed me towards Asperger's that my entire life clicked. Everything I've been dealing with for as long as I can remember just fell into place.

I've never been much of a social person, always bullied and always thinking that the people around me have no common sense, expecting them to understand me; "I know exactly what I'm talking about, why don't you?" I see so much of myself in the personal accounts I've read from others. From the odd way of speaking (my manager at work calls me a depressed up-talker), the extreme social awkwardness, the obsessions. I'm just glad I found this place. The part of my life I want to change the most is I want to learn how to make small talk easier. Things that people take for granted when they've had them their whole lives.

It's such a relief to know I'm not must messed in the head.

Hi Nich,

Welcome to WP.

sounds like you have a very supportive wife...thats good. And no, you are not messed in the head at all! Around here, we are the norm!

Hope you enjoy it here.

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2007, 3:53 pm

Welcome. you can be typical here