Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Purple_Banana
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2007, 10:30 pm

Eat S-L-O-W-L-Y, your brain tends to register fullness approx. 20 minutes after you are truly full.

For a period of a few months, I ate using chopsticks- this caused me to eat much slower (and develop my chopstick skills!), thus I lost a good bit of weight.

Water=Great, especially flavored stuff like Crystal Light, because it has few calories, tastes, good, and breaks the monotony of plain water. Green tea with Splenda and lemon rock.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:58 pm

Walk. That's what I do.

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2007, 11:15 pm

Amputate a limb. That'll take off a few pounds. And it can be done quickly with a rusty spork and maybe a half an hour of grim determination. Of course I'm kidding.

To lose weight I would recommend doing what you can to boost your metabolism. So when you think of losing weight you might think "eat less," but really what you want to do is space out your eating. Instead of eating three large meals every day, eat five our six small meals, or snacks. After about four hours or so without eating your glycogen levels deplete and your body changes into a kind of starvation mode, which slows down the metabolism and makes your body more susceptible to storing fat. You don't want your body to go into starvation mode, so you want to make sure there's some food in you at all times during the day, ideally, good food with not much processed sugar and saturated fats. So that's one way to boost your metabolism--keep food in the body at all practical times. It also helps keep your energy and sense of well-being up.

Also another way to boost your metabolism is exercise. The key to this is doing some kind of exercise that you think you can keep up and do consistently as part of your daily or weekly routine. You don't even need to exercise every day. You just need to exercise consistently. Sticking and being consistent is what will give you results. Someone said lifting weights isn't a fat burning exercise, but it is (maybe not as much as walking). It also helps boost the metabolism (bigger muscles require more energy even when they're not being used). All exercise is good and desirable. What matters about exercise is that you do it and you do it consistently.

Also, calcium helps prevent your body from storing fat. Milk is a good source of calcium (or you can use calcium supplements).

So you really want to do what you can do boost your metabolism. It will make you feel better almost immediately and will probably cause you to lose weight. If none of these things I've mentioned help you, I can help you find a rusty spork.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 3:21 am

Do you dieting homework. The more knowledge you have, the better options available

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 5:07 am

OA, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-system, LA Weight loss, Slim-Fast, South Beach Diet, take your pick.

Sid :O)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 9:37 am

All sorts of little things can work--- slowly but surely.
Use the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator. Park on the other side of the lot. You could also exercise while watching TV, such as leglifts and stuff.
I even decided to incorporate some walking at work by walking up and down the halls during down-time. People may stare, but after they see you do it a few times they understand what you're up to.
As far as food is concerned, eat more bulk and veges. You can fill up and forage all day eating veges and fruits as opposed to fried and greasy stuff. Eat multiple mini-meals as opposed to 3 big ones, and drink lots of water. Don't eat heavy right before you go to sleep.
Even fast food doesn't have to be bad--- Wendy's lets you choose your side order, so instead of french fries you can have a small salad or fruit. They also have deli-style sandwiches and grilled ones which are better than burgers. Other places also are getting healthier menu options as well. Top it with the diet soda and you can even enjoy the OCCASIONAL trip to a fast food establishment.