Is there anyone else here who is obsessed with

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 12:44 pm

I used to be pretty obsessed with football (i.e., soccer).

I used to study books of football statistics many years ago. I can still remember a few facts all these years later.

I used to get quite emotionally involved too. I think I'm just about over that, but in some ways I miss it. Watching football can provide such a simple emotional release! In some ways I wish football really were the most important thing in the world.

I can still appreciate the skill when watching a game of football, whereas rugby (for instance) is just baffling to me.

Anyway, here's some quiz questions for JDoherty and anyone else who wants to have a try! :mrgreen: Off the top of my head ... mostly on the World Cup (final stages, not qualifying rounds)

1. What was the highest scoring game in World Cup finals history?
2. What is the highest winning margin in World Cup history?
3. Which player holds the record for the most goals scored in a World Cup game?
4. Which country went 17 World Cup games without a single win before winning their first in 1994?
5. Which was the first British club to win the European Cup?
6. Which club won the first ever English League title?

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2007, 12:23 am

Okay, I have not been on for a whole week due to problems with my PC (involving windows also discovered a hard drive problem)

Here are my answers:
1. ?
2. 9 point margin
3. Ronaldo
4 ?
5. Celtic 2 - Inter Milan 1 - 25th of May 1967 in Lisbon, Portugal. The scorers were: Mazzola (pen - Inter Milan), Gemmill (Celtic) and Chalmers (Celtic). Celtic were also the first northern European team to win the old European Cup while Manchester United was the first English club in 1968.
6. Not too positive - don't wish to :oops: myself!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 6:50 pm

I suck at sports, but I really enjoy watching both, the summer and winter Olympics.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2007, 7:01 pm

The Winter Olympics are by far the coolest of the two. The Summer Olympics are a bit too tame for my liking.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2007, 8:21 pm

Tennis/Running. I liked Waterpolo a lot but I was so horrible at it because I started my senior year ><.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

JDoherty wrote:
Okay, I have not been on for a whole week due to problems with my PC (involving windows also discovered a hard drive problem)

Here are my answers:
1. ?
2. 9 point margin
3. Ronaldo
4 ?
5. Celtic 2 - Inter Milan 1 - 25th of May 1967 in Lisbon, Portugal. The scorers were: Mazzola (pen - Inter Milan), Gemmill (Celtic) and Chalmers (Celtic). Celtic were also the first northern European team to win the old European Cup while Manchester United was the first English club in 1968.
6. Not too positive - don't wish to :oops: myself!

Correct on answer 5, and - wow - that's far more info than I knew or than I was expecting!

Correct also on answer 2. It's happened three times: Hungary 9 Korea 0 (1954), Yugoslavia 9 Zaire 0 (1974) and Hungary 10 El Salvador 1 (1982)

Ronaldo is not right for question 3, although Ronaldo does hold the record for the most goals scored in total in World Cup History (with 15 goals).

The correct answer to question 3 is Oleg Salenko of Russia who scored five goals against Cameroon in 1994 (Russia won 6-1).

Correct answer to 1: (What was the highest scoring game in World Cup finals history?) is Austria 7 Switzerland 5 (1954)

4: (Which country went 17 World Cup games without a single win before winning their first in 1994? ) Bulgaria

6: (Which club won the first ever English League title?) Preston North End

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2007, 11:53 pm

I have to be honest with Question 3, I might have read it the wrong way. I do often read things and then found out it was written differently to how I had read it - if you know what I mean.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 1:45 am

I like martial arts, mainly kendo. I have never practiced, but I enjoy watching martial arts tournaments and related programs on TV. I would like to take kendo classes but my parents disagree.

Also I'm a little interested on baseball, just watching games sometimes.

I enjoy playing tennis and baseball on Wii Sports :D