Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 3:16 pm

Does anyone know much about this disorder? I read that it often times resembles autism and my college sent me a lady thats looking for someone to work with her two boys that have this so I was wondering if anyone knows anything more about this because right now it sounds like a good job for me.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 7:00 pm

I don't know much about Fragile X. My parents know some people who have a son with it. The similarities are the behaviours people with both autism and Fragile X have. People with Fragile X have atypical social development and may stim. That's about it for similarities though.

midge
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2005, 7:42 pm

Have you been here yet, this looks like a really good site: www.fragilex.org I read there that 1/3 of people with fragile X also have autism, and that characteristics include stimming, hyperactivity, dislike of touch, poor eye contact, perservative speech, and mental retardation, and that despite their difficulties in social skills, they are very friendly and like interaction, have a good sense of humor and are really nice. And the characteristics vary quite a bit from person to person.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 8:00 pm

Hmm, I know a kid who might have Fragile X Syndrome. He said he had AS, but I think he may've been misdiagnosed, since he showed some signs of mental redardation.