Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 4:44 pm

Coincidence, correlation, or causation :?:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 5:11 pm

December 26, 1776: During the American Revolutionary War, George Washington led a column of the Continental Army across the Delaware River to launch a surprise attack against Hessian forces at the Battle of Trenton.

December 26, 1825: Imperial Russian Army officers led about 3,000 soldiers in protest against Nicholas I's assumption of the throne after his elder brother Konstantin removed himself from the line of succession.

Coincidence, correlation, or causation?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 5:23 pm

Erewhon wrote:

I call foul.
It doesn't give years . Over what time period of shark attack, and ice cream consumption, does this graph cover?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 5:30 pm

More people eat ice cream during hot weather.

More people swim in the ocean during hot weather.

The correlative link is hot weather.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 5:40 pm

Oh...its by month. Makes sense.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the other hand....

What were the two biggest events in the United States in the summer of 1947?

They were, of course…

1)Jackie Robinson joining the Brooklyn Dodgers, and breaking the color barrier in pro baseball.

2)The first flying saucers sightings, including a saucer crash in Rosewell New Mexico.

Question: what colored league team did Robinson play on prior to being accepted in the National League?

Answer "The Hampstead Grays" of Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Nicknamed "The Yankees of the Negro League" because they were so good.

Question: what type of space alien has been most frequently reported as being the species that Americans get abducted by during the intervening seven decades plus of UFO encounters ?

Answer: "the Greys".

The Greys, and... the Hampstead Greys...coincidence????

Clearly there is some kind of cosmic conspiracy going on that involves both aliens and professional baseball!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 12:57 pm

:D :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 5:33 pm

Erewhon wrote:
:D :wink:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 6:02 am

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 8:28 am

Erewhon wrote:

works for me! :D

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 12:40 pm

Instead of a Bulls eye, this darter threw an Insect eye. Too bad for the fly or mosquito, by the way, but this aside. Is it a coincidence that the darter hit this fly :?: Assuming that the darter did not want to hit the eye of his opponent but the dartboard it is a lot less coincidental that he hit the board with his arrow. Now I do not know how many places an arrow can hit a dartboard, but there will undoubtedly be a lot of them, add to that the difference in depth in the dartboard in which the arrow can enter and the mobility of the fly and the possibilities are still increased. much bigger. In other words, the probability of the dart hitting that fly is very small, but the probability is not zero. Suppose that arrow had landed 2 centimeters more to the left, and the fly had chosen no other place than the arrow would have entered the red box and the fly would not have been dead. Could this be a coincidence :?: I think it would have aroused little surprise in most people, that arrow is just in the red box, no coincidence. I think that the last situation I sketch is indeed no coincidence, but the situation on the dartboard with the arrow that pierced the fly is no coincidence in my view. All signals were 'unconsciously' green to hit precisely that fly and not that red square 2 centimeters further away.

Blue_Blake
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2021, 1:17 pm

broken clock is right twice a day. imagine if there were no coincidences in the world. would that be a coincidence? there are bound to be things that coincide with each other, and us, as pattern seeking mammals, interpret them as more than they seem because they're out of the ordinary. i believe in coincidences!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 2:16 am

Gott würfelt nicht, the famous words from Albert Einstein.
Gott würfelt doch, according to some modern scientists.

With the big bang as the mother of everything, then they are laws in nature and the great cosmos, I see little room for coincidence. My definition of coincidence is also not exactly the definition as most other people see it. I see that man has no free will as a sign of no coincidence. Just because things in the universe don't serve any purpose doesn't mean it's just a coincidence. Heisenberg's experiment with his laser beam again seems to show that at that level coincidence does exist.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 9:54 am

Amazing similarities.
Specialy the Walnut & the Brain.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 4:38 pm

My coincidence: maybe half an hour ago I was rereading my post about "Prząśniczka" on another board (a song by Stanisław Moniuszko - a famous Polish composer from the 19th century, second only to Chopin when it comes to his fame as a composer in my country) and at the same moment, I heard the song on TV 8O :D It was so unexpected 8O

For the curious ones, here comes the song - the translation of the lyrics and the melody:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/prz%C4%8 ... staff.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-6mTIaSZ0

We learn this song by heart in the music class in Polish elementary schools :D

I want to win a set of 6 music albums with Moniuszko's music in some contest and hence my post on "Prząśniczka" on that board I mentioned in the first sentence of this post :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 5:28 pm

Erewhon wrote:

That makes perfect sense to me. Sharks like buying ice cream!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 5:29 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Amazing similarities.
Specialy the Walnut & the Brain.

The intelligent nut.