Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:34 pm

A Survival Guide for People on the Autistic Spectrum

I just found out about this resource. I haven't read the whole thing, but I'm excited about the idea of people on the spectrum offering advice to others on the spectrum in a wiki format. Just wanted to get the word out in case anyone else here is interested in reading and/or contributing to it.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:54 pm

That's interesting, thanks for posting the link!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 4:47 pm

Eller wrote:
That's interesting, thanks for posting the link!

Ditto! :D
I bookmarked it into my "Autism Wiki" folder. I think everyone here should have this marked as well,
since many of us spend a considerable amount of time in the Wikipedia.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm

This is pretty neat. Can it be stickied?

ChelseaOcean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2007, 5:16 pm

Reading over it, some things seem to be excellent, and some seem to be utter nonsense, especially the ones about schooling. (For example, "The reason for dividing schoolchildren by age and ability is to prevent lasting friendships from forming" and "The reason children are given simple tasks during the early years is to kill any interest they have in learning.") I think one of the most valuable rules people (in general) should learn to live by is "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance," and that is certainly applicable here. Frankly that whole section reads like it was written by someone with paranoid schizophrenia and delusions of persecution, plus it explicitly goes against advice given earlier about not basing statements on assumptions that have not already been proven (is there proof that all or most children who are schooled only with other children of the same age and ability level never form lasting friendships? or that all or most children who begin school by doing simple tasks lose all desire to learn? the article assumes they do).

Also ridiculous: the thing about one's value to society being based on how well one follows orders in the workplace ... have you ever noticed that the people who give the orders and make the decisions are paid a lot more than the ones who carry out the orders? Why do you think it is? Perhaps the reason they get more value in return for their work is that their work is considered more valuable, hmm? (This is actually explicit in the US federal government's salary guidelines: positions get a salary based on how much decision-making power the person holding that position will have; there's a whole formula that you fill out and add up to determine the salary range for that position, but nearly all the criteria are geared at paying more money to those who give orders and less to those who follow them. But even where less explicit, there's a reason that the head of a company makes the most money and the workers on the assembly line make the least.)

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Nov 2007, 2:39 am

Hmmm... I wish I had more time I would look thru the chapters that are important, tho the problem with wiki is that you never know where the information comes from so anybody can say anything they want, their is no citations just someones opinion of someone copying stuff the read outa ******* and then just placing similar text into wiki. I would never use wiki for any real research but their is still alot of important stuff that I think I would enjoy reading tomorrow if I have some time.

Thank you for posting the article, just anybody who is crazy enough to actually use wiki for a project for school or somethin well... you are crazy :lol: heh.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2007, 6:13 am

ChelseaOcean wrote:
... some seem to be utter nonsense ...

You, yes you too can be an editor of this famous encyclopedia! You heard it right, sign up, collect sources and contribute to making wikipedia a darn good ecyclopedia.

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2007, 7:05 am

Zwerfbeertje wrote:
ChelseaOcean wrote:
... some seem to be utter nonsense ...

You, yes you too can be an editor of this famous encyclopedia! You heard it right, sign up, collect sources and contribute to making wikipedia a darn good ecyclopedia.

Speaking of which several of the autism related entries on wikipedia are currently under attack with a bunch of red flags, so it'd be a good time to start contributing for the experts out there.

Flagged Articles:
Controversies in autism
Autism rights movement
Neurodiversity