Page 7 of 8 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,313
Location: Stoke, uk

10 Oct 2007, 5:35 am

chtucker18 wrote:
being a black man myself i believe that black people do have different attitudes than other races.


Thats racism. :) I'd like to make generalisations, but they're just not reliable enough. As far as I'm concerned, If I'm talking to someone thats black, it's just a random detail, no more relevant to the conversation than their height. If you talk to people like that, their attitude has a habit of disappearing quite quickly :)



Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,061
Location: Prussia

10 Oct 2007, 5:54 am

Of course differant races are differant front each other, you are lying to yourself otherwise.
Its only racism when you act on your belief that this is a bad thing.

With Black Women for instance, they are fiery and passionate, sort of the opposite to the Englishmans stiff uppper lip, such a contrast in cultures might well cause these conflicts.

I see two Black men looking to me like they are having an argument which will shortly lead to violence whereas in reality, they are a couple of friends having a chat, they just do it with a bit more passion than mubling Whitey.



TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,313
Location: Stoke, uk

10 Oct 2007, 6:00 am

different "races " ?

There are no differences. People are people, as random and stupid as they get. It's psychology, not physiology.


And saying thast black women are more passionate? Isn't that just another generalisation, what about the real world where rules like that just don't work?



Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,061
Location: Prussia

10 Oct 2007, 6:16 am

TechnoMonk wrote:
different "races " ?

There are no differences. People are people, as random and stupid as they get. It's psychology, not physiology.


Every human on the planet is too closely related to be that different.


So what are you doing on this board then if everybodies the same?

This board in itself is an ism, where paople who are differant from others congregate.

Of course the races are differant, this isnt a bad thing, it provides colour and interest to the human race in all aspects, music, food, etc.

What about all the differant breeds of dog eh?, they are all from the same stock, they can all interbreed, will you try and claim that they are all exactly the same? that a bassett can run as fast as a Whippet, that a Pit bull is as gentle as a Retriver?

Get real, variety is good,
Political Correctness is lies and can cause bad feelings and racism.



prism97
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 81

10 Oct 2007, 8:06 am

As for where I live, that is hardly your concern. As to whether or not you think I'm special, I've lived all this time never once having worried about whether or not you like me. As for you hating everybody; knock yourself out! You have the right to sit around stewing in hatred. To me, hate is like taking poison & hoping the other person dies. You seems to be living with something much more onerous than Asperger's. I hope you seek the help you need before your obsession compels you to act in a way that gets you either arrested or carted off in a basket by men in white coats.



TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,313
Location: Stoke, uk

10 Oct 2007, 8:11 am

Nambo wrote:

So what are you doing on this board then if everybodies the same?

This board in itself is an ism, where paople who are differant from others congregate.

Of course the races are differant, this isnt a bad thing, it provides colour and interest to the human race in all aspects, music, food, etc.

What about all the differant breeds of dog eh?, they are all from the same stock, they can all interbreed, will you try and claim that they are all exactly the same? that a bassett can run as fast as a Whippet, that a Pit bull is as gentle as a Retriver?

Get real, variety is good,
Political Correctness is lies and can cause bad feelings and racism.



Did you read my post at all? I said that there wasn't different races, not that everyone is the same.



Ok, in what way are the "races " so different? Are there other obvious differences that I'm missing that are attributed purely to the colour of a persons skin? Can black people run faster? Are white men gentler? Please, enlighten me.



sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,740

10 Oct 2007, 8:14 am

prism97 wrote:
As for where I live, that is hardly your concern. As to whether or not you think I'm special, I've lived all this time never once having worried about whether or not you like me. As for you hating everybody; knock yourself out! You have the right to sit around stewing in hatred. To me, hate is like taking poison & hoping the other person dies. You seems to be living with something much more onerous than Asperger's. I hope you seek the help you need before your obsession compels you to act in a way that gets you either arrested or carted off in a basket by men in white coats.


I feel it is. I would be satisfied with a vague answer like 'England', 'America' and I've no idea how the rest related to me - I never once mentioned race in that post.


_________________
<a href="http://www.kia-tickers.com><img src="http://www.kia-tickers.com/bday/ticker/19901105/+0/4/1/name/r55/s37/bday.png" border="0"> </a>


history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
Location: X

10 Oct 2007, 9:07 pm

black women have big titties


_________________
X


BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,784
Location: the Antipodes

11 Oct 2007, 12:04 am

TechnoMonk wrote:
Ok, in what way are the "races " so different? Are there other obvious differences that I'm missing that are attributed purely to the colour of a persons skin? Can black people run faster? Are white men gentler? Please, enlighten me.

Kenyans are pretty good at distance running.
Wikipedia wrote:
The term race refers to the concept of dividing people into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of characteristics and beliefs about common ancestry.[1] The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color, facial features and hair texture), and self-identification.[2]

Conceptions of race, as well as specific ways of grouping races, vary by culture and over time, and are often controversial for scientific as well as social and political reasons. The controversy ultimately revolves around whether or not races are natural types or socially constructed, and the degree to which observed differences in ability and achievement, categorized on the basis of race, are a product of inherited (i.e. genetic) traits or environmental, social and cultural factors.

Some argue that although "race" is a valid taxonomic concept in other species, it cannot be applied to humans.[3] Many scientists have argued that race definitions are imprecise, arbitrary, derived from custom, have many exceptions, have many gradations, and that the numbers of races delineated vary according to the culture making the racial distinctions; thus they reject the notion that any definition of race pertaining to humans can have taxonomic rigour and validity.[4] Today most scientists study human genotypic and phenotypic variation using concepts such as "population" and "clinal gradation". Many anthropologists contend that while the features on which racial categorizations are made may be based on genetic factors, the idea of race itself, and actual divisions of persons into groups based on selected hereditary features, are social constructs

so yes, there is such a thing as race, if only a social construct and there are physiological differences. IMO its a form of racism to deny it. If there is no such thing as race, there could be no such thing as racism.



calandale
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,131

11 Oct 2007, 12:42 am

Cyanide wrote:
Living in a 95%+ white town, I haven't met many blacks or other minorities. I used to have a black neighbor who was cool though. I also had class with a black girl who just seemed like any white girl at my school (stuck up prep).


Big big differences where they feel
free to have their own community.

Having lived in a very divided city
(Buffalo), and come to Eugene, it's
pretty damned telling.

Had a couple of black roomates
from the area though, and talked
to them about racism here. And it's
still here. They thought it was actually
uglier, all hidden, rather than the open
sores that I was used to.



Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 May 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,413
Location: Australia

11 Oct 2007, 2:10 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
TechnoMonk wrote:
Ok, in what way are the "races " so different? Are there other obvious differences that I'm missing that are attributed purely to the colour of a persons skin? Can black people run faster? Are white men gentler? Please, enlighten me.

Kenyans are pretty good at distance running.
Wikipedia wrote:
The term race refers to the concept of dividing people into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of characteristics and beliefs about common ancestry.[1] The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color, facial features and hair texture), and self-identification.[2]

Conceptions of race, as well as specific ways of grouping races, vary by culture and over time, and are often controversial for scientific as well as social and political reasons. The controversy ultimately revolves around whether or not races are natural types or socially constructed, and the degree to which observed differences in ability and achievement, categorized on the basis of race, are a product of inherited (i.e. genetic) traits or environmental, social and cultural factors.

Some argue that although "race" is a valid taxonomic concept in other species, it cannot be applied to humans.[3] Many scientists have argued that race definitions are imprecise, arbitrary, derived from custom, have many exceptions, have many gradations, and that the numbers of races delineated vary according to the culture making the racial distinctions; thus they reject the notion that any definition of race pertaining to humans can have taxonomic rigour and validity.[4] Today most scientists study human genotypic and phenotypic variation using concepts such as "population" and "clinal gradation". Many anthropologists contend that while the features on which racial categorizations are made may be based on genetic factors, the idea of race itself, and actual divisions of persons into groups based on selected hereditary features, are social constructs

so yes, there is such a thing as race, if only a social construct and there are physiological differences. IMO its a form of racism to deny it. If there is no such thing as race, there could be no such thing as racism.


The point TechnoMonk is trying to make I think is that people from different racial backgrounds aren't predisposed to acting a certain way, a person can to some degree be influenced by the genes they've inherited but that doesn't have to do with race. TM was just combating Nambo's twisted beliefs. You're right about the physical differences though. Nambo was just giving examples of things caused by culture, not race.


_________________
"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson


Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,061
Location: Prussia

11 Oct 2007, 11:27 am

[quote="Deus_ex_machina]
The point TechnoMonk is trying to make I think is that people from different racial backgrounds aren't predisposed to acting a certain way, a person can to some degree be influenced by the genes they've inherited but that doesn't have to do with race. TM was just combating Nambo's twisted beliefs. You're right about the physical differences though. Nambo was just giving examples of things caused by culture, not race.[/quote]

"Twisted beliefs", thats a bit harsh isnt it Deus X?
What did I post that you considered to be "twisted"?
I thought my posts where positive towards people of a differant culture whilst still acknowledging there can be differences, and whats wrong with differances?

As for your point about behaviour being cultural rather than genitic, to a certain extent I agree with you, though I cannot see how that makes any differance to the point I originally said, That Black Women are more passionate than English women are in the way that Italions are said to be passionate.

When I went to Germany I comented to my German friend on how quiet and mild mannored the Black people in Germany where compared to the Black people we see from Jamaica, he told me that they are all like that in Germany, quite and well behaved.
Point being, though they are still Black, they come from a completly differant country that was part of the German Empire compared to the Afro-American that was part of the British Empire.

So yes, culture makes a differande as well.
Dont make us all exactly the same though.



Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

09 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

delete

someone's post pissed me off and I had a mental implosion


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


Last edited by Todesking on 09 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 921
Location: Germantown, MD

09 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Sick bump, man.

Image


_________________
"All valuation rests on an irrational bias."
-George Santayana

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

09 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

aaronkt wrote:
I've had this problem for a long time, but I have noticed this more when I deliver pizzas. It seems that a lot of African American women have bad attitudes twoards others. I've had several snap at me because I was a few minutes late with the order. This was never a problem with caucasian women. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm white. Has anyone had this problem? Why do African American women have bad attitudes twoards society?


How many African American persons have you dealt with that you can come up with such sweeping generalizations?

ruveyn