What are you doing for the environment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 7:34 pm

I used to be very adamant about recycling, but now I just figure, "Whatever we need in the future we can dig up." Except for paper. I'm still very adamant about recycling paper! I'm sort of scared at the number of trees that are being killed! I'm going to plant trees on my land when I get some, and also in my house and in the bunker I plan to build just in case. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 7:35 pm

I do some recycling, but that's about it for now.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2007, 7:37 pm

My family recycles, and I plan on replacing several incandescent light bulbs with warm-white (incandescent-color-light-producing) CFLs. Normal fluorescent light is much too cool for me.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 8:13 pm

Petitioning my legislators about environmental issues (hence my signature), bicycling to work, keeping the house at 62 degrees in winter (as low as I can tolerate), and joining the "protect the river" group here. And the curly bulbs too. It doesn't hurt that I'm kind of a cheapskate as well, so not buying bottled water is not a sacrifice for me.
I'll shut up now because I feel like I'm about to start a tirade, and all of us Americans are hypocrites in this regard anyhow.

MasonJar
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2007, 10:50 pm

riverotter wrote:
...and all of us Americans are hypocrites in this regard anyhow.

That's the truth.
I recycle a lot. We bought a plug-in lawn mower last spring, because gasoline mowers pollute SO much, and it is awesome. And we have a hybrid car.
In a recent column by Thomas Friedman in the New York Times, he basically said that any efforts of environmentalism by Americans are just getting wiped out by the proliferating industries in China and India. So if America is going to make any difference, it has to come from the top. And with current leadership, that ain't gonna be happening.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 10:51 pm

I'm a wiccan
what don't I do? :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 11:01 pm

I'm going to replace my light bulbs with florescent lights.

Sid :O)

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 11 Nov 2007, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Nov 2007, 11:03 pm

i am listening to ihsahn

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Nov 2007, 1:06 am

I ride a bike all summer and even take my daughter to summer school (15 miles ) 3 days a week that way.
I also, for the first time in my life invested in a "Socially Responsible Global Alternative Energy Fund."
Next car I buy WILL be a hybrid as we all plug in our cars up here in the winter anyhow. Most places have plug-ins ALLREADY located in the parking lots.
My only bumper sticker says "Be Green, Help the Earth Live!"
Instead of changing one light bulb, I changed 13. My whole house. (Also gonna tie a ribbon around them and give them as Christmas Gifts/Ornaments.
Have only LED Christmas lights that use only 4 watts each.
Have raised my children to be "tree-huggers" also, and to take responsibility for and try to avert any more climate change. "I am tree-hugger, hear me roar"
One of the reasons I LOVE Alaska so much is because of its natural beauty. And 7 years ago it was kinda cool that when I lived in Fairbanks, if I wanted to go to Wal-Mart, or Arbys, I'd have to drive 300 miles to Wasilla. We just got our very first Long John Silvers up here l year ago. I like that. Am afraid in 20 years it will be more like Calif or something.
So everyone Email your political leaders and tell them if they dont encourage Wind, solar, fuel cell, ect. ect. you wont vote for them. And not only will you be helping the earth, you are also seeing to it that my autistic daughter and myself dont become homeless when I'm too old to work anymore. :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Nov 2007, 6:24 am

Kilroy wrote:
I'm a wiccan
what don't I do? :P

Run around in circles in your underwear with a cone on your head screaming..."down with nature!" :lol:

What I do for the environment is enjoying a vegan lifestyle.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 10:08 am

I tend 2 recycle more den throw it away in da bin cos i wanna live in a greener environment such as havin a green car in future.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

12 Nov 2007, 10:43 am

Plant trees, recycle reduce, reuse as much as possible.

Unfortunately live in the country away from good bus routes so do have to drive to work but walk from meeting to meeting once in town whenever possible.

Me, after much thought on the matter.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 11:31 am

Last week I attended a tree planting at our park. I have been trying to clear the greenway of invasive plants (english ivy, himalyan blackberry, english holly, laurel, bindweed) and have planted native species (pacific rhododendren, flowering currant, oregon box, aqualegia, vancouveria, gerry oak, native honeysuckle, vine maple, bigleaf maple, elderberry, tolmia, oregon grape, thimbleberry, hemlock, cedar) and cage and flag and protect the natives.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 9:49 pm

lelia wrote:
Last week I attended a tree planting at our park. I have been trying to clear the greenway of invasive plants (english ivy, himalyan blackberry, english holly, laurel, bindweed) and have planted native species (pacific rhododendren, flowering currant, oregon box, aqualegia, vancouveria, gerry oak, native honeysuckle, vine maple, bigleaf maple, elderberry, tolmia, oregon grape, thimbleberry, hemlock, cedar) and cage and flag and protect the natives.

You have a lot of energy!
Here, in some areas, all we have are invasives. Our climate has changed so much (in my short lifetime) that it seems inevitable to me that we will have to just accept new flora and give up on the native species. It is a losing fight.
Near my home, there was an entire park (really just city-owned easement land that a lot of people used as a park), in which almost all the trees were invasive. The city then sold this acre or so to a developer, who justified its clear-cutting by stating that "all the trees were invasives anyway..." but, if that's all you have in your park, that's all you have, for erosion control, shade, green-ness...that's all we had, I mean, and now we don't. We'll have some new condos, though...it's hard, because condos here mean maybe less urban sprawl, which is good...it's so complicated.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Nov 2007, 10:22 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also only use bio-degradable detergent, and am going as "organic" as possiable here.
I also have "Meat Issues" and haven't eaten red meat in 15-20 years, and am currently having definate "White meat" issues. Hummus has been my new favorite food for awhile now. :D
I'm not militant about it or anything, just personally not for me. (Also step around ants and throw spiders outside :D )

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

littlesmiley
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2007, 8:39 am

doing some cossak ancing whiloe crouched down.
bet you can't do that!