Curvy Women are Smarter, and Have Smarter Kids

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2007, 2:57 am

I don't know if I agree with this study 100%. Just because something is common doesn't mean it is always true. My intelligence is fairly above average, but I'm a toothpick. Butt? Breasts? What on earth are those? I'm sure not all curvy women are geniuses, either. I've met plenty that were dumber than a box of rocks.

This study is what I consider crackerjack science.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

14 Nov 2007, 7:45 am

I don't know about intelligence but curvy women are definately sexier!

Me, after much thought on the matter.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 11:05 am

maldoror wrote:
In other words, beautiful people are better than everyone else IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE.

No... no, that's actually not what it's saying. At all. :? :?:

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2007, 8:35 am

I'm petite. Guess that means that I am stupid. :roll:

Why do people actually call this science?

Here let me talk like a dumb ass for you so you can feel great about such poppycock!

Hies theres, didya knew thut peoples spendth weigh two mush times pretendingz to beh szientizts to reveel thear trindy soudo szienze juynk jest sew youz can recyte theiyr garbage over yer oun byias?

Thay spund sew musch tyme in fact thet they forgotz that canser steal suckeths and shood be cured.
Grate yousless waiste of tyme.

xx Dan Monster

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 10:11 am

You're absolutely right. Just because something is published in a scientific journal doesn't mean that it has any validity.

Here is something that I wrote once:

http://www.agbioforum.org/v5n1/v5n1a06-losinger.htm

I caught some "scientists" plagiarizing themselves by getting multiple papers out of slight changes to a statistical model. Of course, they defended their "work."

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 10:57 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Quote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children

Monday, November 12, 2007

Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

In the research, scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and University of California, Santa Barbara, used data from a study of 16,000 women and girls, which collected details of their body measurements and their scores in cognitive tests. The study was published in the journal of Evolution and Human Behavior.

Click here to see an abstract of the study (full study available for purchase)

They found that women with a greater difference between the waist and hips scored significantly higher on the tests, as did their children, according to a report in The Sunday Times Online.

For study purposes, curvy women were defined as those whose waists are smaller than their hips. The researchers suggest that the fat around fuller hips and thighs holds higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for the growth of the brain during pregnancy. Fat around the waist, on the other hand, may have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which are less suited to brain growth, the researchers said.

Waist fat can also be a contributory factor in diabetes and heart disease, which is why curvy women are also believed to live longer than their straighter counter parts, research shows.

Thinner or linear-shaped women lack both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids around their waists and hips, which would be likely to boost longevity, but have little effect on intelligence.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310636,00.html

So, men who like curvy women: you're not shallow, you're wise -- even if you don't know it. :P

Also, greater beauty has been linked to better genes, so you're also being wise -- not shallow -- in choosing attractive mates.

Also, men choose to marry beautiful women so that they can have beautiful children, who will grow up and start the cycle all over again.

I don't see anything here about beauty. Their just saying that women with hourglass figures are healthier and more intelligent than women who look like the Michelin man. And so are their kids. Eating healthy and exercise are proven to make people live longer and be smarter. And their kids are more likely to follow this life style.

It makes sense from an evolution standpoint why men are attracted more to curvy women.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

16 Nov 2007, 11:00 pm

Notice that they said "curvy" not "look like models". Today's models often have boyish figures and not much of a waist.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 11:04 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Quote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children

Monday, November 12, 2007

Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

In the research, scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and University of California, Santa Barbara, used data from a study of 16,000 women and girls, which collected details of their body measurements and their scores in cognitive tests. The study was published in the journal of Evolution and Human Behavior.

Click here to see an abstract of the study (full study available for purchase)

They found that women with a greater difference between the waist and hips scored significantly higher on the tests, as did their children, according to a report in The Sunday Times Online.

For study purposes, curvy women were defined as those whose waists are smaller than their hips. The researchers suggest that the fat around fuller hips and thighs holds higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for the growth of the brain during pregnancy. Fat around the waist, on the other hand, may have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which are less suited to brain growth, the researchers said.

Waist fat can also be a contributory factor in diabetes and heart disease, which is why curvy women are also believed to live longer than their straighter counter parts, research shows.

Thinner or linear-shaped women lack both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids around their waists and hips, which would be likely to boost longevity, but have little effect on intelligence.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310636,00.html

So, men who like curvy women: you're not shallow, you're wise -- even if you don't know it. :P

Also, greater beauty has been linked to better genes, so you're also being wise -- not shallow -- in choosing attractive mates.

Also, men choose to marry beautiful women so that they can have beautiful children, who will grow up and start the cycle all over again.

I agree with the article, but I disagree with your comments about the article. The article cites waist to hip ratio, which is scientifically documented as being a huge risk factor for disease in women. Some of this is genetic, some of it is lifestyle. Women with smaller waists and larger hips tend to live differently than women who are large in the middle (barring a medical condition, of course, such as thyroid dysfunction - which can play havoc with a woman's body). These lifestyle differences, both for her and for an unborn child if she is pregnant, will affect outcomes (for her and for the baby). As the article says, certain fats contibute to fetal brain development. A lack of proper nutrition can cause pregnancy complications ranging from diseases for the mother, like gestational dabetes, to stunted brain development for the baby.

Where lifestyle is involved in this ratio, you probably are going to see higher intelligence, which may be a chicken and egg scenario. Does a better waist-hip ratio cause higher intelligence...or does higher intelligence cause a better ratio? I'd suspect it works both ways, actually.

Ragtime, you seem to be talking about looks here, which is not what the artice is saying at all. Attractive women come in all shapes and sizes. This article is talking about health in terms of waist to hip ratio. Let's not get confused.

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 11:11 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
Notice that they said "curvy" not "look like models". Today's models often have boyish figures and not much of a waist.

Models look the way they do because of Women want them to be that way. Men like em because they show lots of skin. But mostly, men like curves.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2007, 7:27 pm

I know, I was replying to two different things at once, sort of. I do that a lot.