Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children

Monday, November 12, 2007

Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

In the research, scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and University of California, Santa Barbara, used data from a study of 16,000 women and girls, which collected details of their body measurements and their scores in cognitive tests. The study was published in the journal of Evolution and Human Behavior.

Click here to see an abstract of the study (full study available for purchase)

They found that women with a greater difference between the waist and hips scored significantly higher on the tests, as did their children, according to a report in The Sunday Times Online.

For study purposes, curvy women were defined as those whose waists are smaller than their hips. The researchers suggest that the fat around fuller hips and thighs holds higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for the growth of the brain during pregnancy. Fat around the waist, on the other hand, may have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which are less suited to brain growth, the researchers said.

Waist fat can also be a contributory factor in diabetes and heart disease, which is why curvy women are also believed to live longer than their straighter counter parts, research shows.

Thinner or linear-shaped women lack both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids around their waists and hips, which would be likely to boost longevity, but have little effect on intelligence.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310636,00.html

So, men who like curvy women: you're not shallow, you're wise -- even if you don't know it. :P

Also, greater beauty has been linked to better genes, so you're also being wise -- not shallow -- in choosing attractive mates.

Also, men choose to marry beautiful women so that they can have beautiful children, who will grow up and start the cycle all over again.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 1:27 pm

This is very interesting.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 2:48 pm

I should be grateful I remembered my password to log in here. 8O

Believe this & they will tell you another. :roll:

Daggerblade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Nov 2007, 4:00 pm

Ragtime wrote:
So, men who like curvy women: you're not shallow, you're wise -- even if you don't know it. :P

Also, greater beauty has been linked to better genes, so you're also being wise -- not shallow -- in choosing attractive mates.

Also, men choose to marry beautiful women so that they can have beautiful children, who will grow up and start the cycle all over again.

Part of me has always known this, but now that it's backed by science, that's just brilliant. It's proven. Now I can finally argue this case without resorting to calling myself a eugenicist. :)

*Goes off to spread valuable Irish-Italian heritage* :P

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 7:35 pm

Daggerblade wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Part of me has always known this, but now that it's backed by science, that's just brilliant. It's proven. Now I can finally argue this case without resorting to calling myself a eugenicist. :)

*Goes off to spread valuable Irish-Italian heritage* :P

That kind of confuses me. Maybe cause my Dad, who happens to be Aspie and smart, isn't exactly what most people would call good looking. I mean, unless you had a thing for Fred Flintstone. lol

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2007, 7:44 pm

My IQ is well above average and I'm certainly not what most people would call curvy. Gimme a break.

And not all good-looking couples have good-looking children... not to be mean, but have you ever seem Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's daughter Rumer? Eek.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2007, 7:53 pm

Cameo wrote:
My IQ is well above average and I'm certainly not what most people would call curvy. Gimme a break.

And not all good-looking couples have good-looking children... not to be mean, but have you ever seem Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's daughter Rumer? Eek.

This is a pretty absurd study.

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2007, 1:17 am

Ragtime wrote:
Quote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children

Monday, November 12, 2007

Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

In the research, scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and University of California, Santa Barbara, used data from a study of 16,000 women and girls, which collected details of their body measurements and their scores in cognitive tests. The study was published in the journal of Evolution and Human Behavior.

Click here to see an abstract of the study (full study available for purchase)

They found that women with a greater difference between the waist and hips scored significantly higher on the tests, as did their children, according to a report in The Sunday Times Online.

For study purposes, curvy women were defined as those whose waists are smaller than their hips. The researchers suggest that the fat around fuller hips and thighs holds higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for the growth of the brain during pregnancy. Fat around the waist, on the other hand, may have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which are less suited to brain growth, the researchers said.

Waist fat can also be a contributory factor in diabetes and heart disease, which is why curvy women are also believed to live longer than their straighter counter parts, research shows.

Thinner or linear-shaped women lack both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids around their waists and hips, which would be likely to boost longevity, but have little effect on intelligence.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310636,00.html

Thicker thighs also protect against cancer, apparently.

Fat bottom girls make this rockin world go round!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 11:00 am

Cameo wrote:

The "good genes" and "intelligence" I mentioned are two different things. The good genes refer to good health, while top brains have, of course, no connection to physical beauty. Have I clarified sufficiently? I have trouble telling, sometimes...

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 11:02 am

Kurtz wrote:

Fat bottom girls make this rockin world go round!

I had heard in another study, about five years ago, that women with bigger bottoms live longer, statistically.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 1:09 pm

That may be correct -- pear shape versus apple shape -- supposedly people whose fat accumulates in their hips and haunches have healthier hearts that people whose fat accumulates in the belly.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 1:52 pm

Cameo wrote:
And not all good-looking couples have good-looking children

It also depends on if their genes would mix well.....
If you just look at Demi Moore and Bruce Willis side by side, you can tell their genes wouldn't mix too well.

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2007, 1:57 pm

My girlriend being the curvy soul that she is, was delighted to see this. :D

She nearly went to University in Oxford and is bright as can be...interesting.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 3:29 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Quote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children Monday, November 12, 2007 Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

Wow, I should start eating a whole lot of pizza so I get a fat posterior so my bottom end is fatter than my middle parts. If I ate enough, I could be a flipping genius by this study's rationale, I could! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2007, 11:54 pm

Nan wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Study: Curvy Women Live Longer, Give Birth to Smarter Children Monday, November 12, 2007 Real women don't just have curves, they also are smarter, live longer and give birth to smarter children, according to a new study.

Wow, I should start eating a whole lot of pizza so I get a fat posterior so my bottom end is fatter than my middle parts. If I ate enough, I could be a flipping genius by this study's rationale, I could! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they mean curvy by your own healthy weight, not by exceess weight. Excess weight could make you dumber, exactly, by triggering fat and sugar metabolism problems and depression that slows down cognitive functions.

I think that is pretty questionable science. Remember, don't believe everything you read!

I just saw this on CNN. They say, according to this study, if you get between a .6 and a .7 by dividing your waist size by your hips, you're in the smart zone. Whatever. I had to do mine, and I get .68. I am very curvy and I do have a very high IQ. But I don't think that proves anything. I like the idea of have smarter babies though - my gut's always told me if I ever had kids, they'd be scary intelligent. Must be my curvy girl's intuition talking. LOL.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 1:14 am

In other words, beautiful people are better than everyone else IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE.