No, I'm too poor 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
No, I'm too poor 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 116

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 3:57 pm

Why would this be a joke?

Alex has to pay for the site. Its grown so much that he ran out of his broadband limit by the 10th and had to purchase more.

He's not requiring it, only asking those who are in a position to chip in a bit to do so.

I'd rather send a small donation to him periodically then wade though a ton of ads.

BeeBee

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 4:01 pm

Pikachu,

Dontating is optional, not required.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 4:03 pm

If alex can't afford it then he can't afford it, simple

he ain't gettin a penny off me, period!.

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 4:05 pm

Ah, yes, but if Alex can't afford it, the site closes.

I'd prefer that not happen.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 4:14 pm

Alex, because you are requesting donations from others regardless of your Google ads i am cancelling my membership of this forum

Goodbye!

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 4:15 pm

Pikachu - That is fine and that is your choice. Alex is not forcing you to do anything. Others however do wish to support this site with either our time and/or our money and that should be their choice too. Alex has simply come up with an easy way for those that want to assist him financially to do so. It will not matter to me who supports this site.

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Aug 2005, 5:13 pm

I initially didn't even want to do this. But I did this based on REQUEST from users of the forums. I didn't initially really want to ask for donations, you can ask Jetson. But people wanted a way to support the site and I think its a a good idea.

Anyway, there is a list of things that we need:

* Dedicated server (could be something like this: http://www.apple.com/xserve/ or this: http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1
* Developers to migrate the site to a more mature CMS
* graphic designers to make the site look better and work better with people's needs

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 7:55 pm

Pika, I know you from elsewhere than WP so I feel comfortable in saying that you are out of line in your assumptions.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

LB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2005, 3:17 pm

alex wrote:
I initially didn't even want to do this. But I did this based on REQUEST from users of the forums. I didn't initially really want to ask for donations, you can ask Jetson. But people wanted a way to support the site and I think its a a good idea.

Anyway, there is a list of things that we need:

* Dedicated server (could be something like this: http://www.apple.com/xserve/ or this: http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1
* Developers to migrate the site to a more mature CMS
* graphic designers to make the site look better and work better with people's needs

I think it is a great idea to make an easy way for people to donate if they can and want to. I may be able to help with migrating the site. Can you email me with some more info?

NBEAP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2005, 4:17 pm

i think this is a very important site and it would be a shame to see it go!

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2005, 5:29 pm

I think it's a good idea to suggest that members may wish to make donations in order to help with the running of the site, but I feel that creating a heirarchy of "gold supporters," etc based on how much people can donate would create an atmosphere where some members are seen as better than others. I also feel that offering services like an email address only to people who donate is wrong. If member donations can help to improve the site, that would be fantastic, but there should not be any pressure on members to give money in order to show their support. I think that some people will be driven away by this pressure.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 5:43 pm

Tally,

That is one reason why I suggested that there be anonymous donations. There is still that chance that someone who does not show up as a Donor sent Alex more than $100 but did not want to be listed. That should take some of the pressure off of those who cannot donate.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2005, 5:57 pm

I think that all donations should be private from board members. It may not be possible to hide your identity from Alex, who actually recieves the donation, but I don't see any reason why board members need to know how much anyone has given. By saying, "so and so is a gold supporter," this creates a heirarchy of poeple who have donated a lot of money, people who have donated a little bit of money, and people who haven't donated anything (although they might have done so anonymously). That will put pressure on people to donate money and will ruin the friendly atmosphere of the board. I do not object to asking for donations to help with improvements to the board, but if it's going to turn into a place where people's status is decided based on how much money they have given, it won't be a very supportive or friendly place any more.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 6:44 pm

Alex, A) Lower the ammounts. make 50 the top 1, its a lil too much to expect people to be able to afford $100.

and B) Add me to list as graphic designer.

Oh, and C) Do some checking on my poem book idea.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:23 am

well Alex you just can't win. Thank you for the option to donate the minute I got here I thought this deserves support in any manner. If you do decide to keep recoginizing people maybe you should also do a recognizement thing for those that donate time and expertise. Gotta say money pales to me in comparison to being able to do something web related. I am so jealous.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:33 am

hmmm... personal opinion alert!

i don't want to be "advertised" as a donor, cos i don't want to do it cos i want the self-aggrandisement, but to support the site. i'm not suggesting that people would donate to do that, just that i'm wondering what the necessity is to advertise. if it's about an incentive, then i can see the point. otherwise, i fear a tad of altruism is sneaking into my persona, which i shall rush off and expunge instantly. 8O