Yes, a lower amount than 15 dollars 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
No, I'm too poor 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
No, I'm too poor 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 116

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 4:41 pm

So is this server hopefully gonna save you a lot of money in the long run?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 4:42 pm

vetivert wrote:
hmmm... personal opinion alert!

i don't want to be "advertised" as a donor, cos i don't want to do it cos i want the self-aggrandisement, but to support the site. i'm not suggesting that people would donate to do that, just that i'm wondering what the necessity is to advertise. if it's about an incentive, then i can see the point. otherwise, i fear a tad of altruism is sneaking into my persona, which i shall rush off and expunge instantly. 8O

lol, what's wrong with altuism?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 5:02 pm

WHAT???! !! and ruin my reputation? not on your - or anybody else's - nellie, old bean.

/me runs away screaming.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 5:10 pm

Rrrriigghht.... just keep pretending that you didn't just do it out of your own great warmth and generosity. We all know what's up :lol: :wink:

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Aug 2005, 5:31 pm

Getting a server is last on the list actually. We really need more storage. I'm thinking about getting a data storage solution, possibly from LaCie. Right now, I think thats the most important thing to do.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 2:11 am

alex wrote:
Getting a server is last on the list actually. We really need more storage. I'm thinking about getting a data storage solution, possibly from LaCie. Right now, I think thats the most important thing to do.

I was thinking, and perhaps you've already considered this, but it's worth mentioning: would the US tax authorities look on this undertaking as a business, even if you don't make a profit? Have you any obligation to provide the authorities with accounts, once you start receiving money? Have you considered your legal position; do the people who help you become employees of some sort in the eyes of the US legal system, for example? How about insurance, particularly if people are deemed to be working for you?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 2:23 am

good point. is it worth investigating registered charity status, or whatever the equivalent is in the states? mind you, this is an international forum. oh dear - i can see complications galore... :roll:

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 8:15 am

I know a bit about US businsess tax/law. If Alex would like to contact me we can discuss it in more detail.

He probably could get a non-profit status if he wanted. As long as he's not making money off the deal or paying his admins/mods, he's probably okay. The cafeshop sales probably are taxable events but, as a practical matter, wouldn't be enough for anyone to look into.

So, Alex, you want to register this as a 501-C3 non-profit org?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 9:31 am

Beebee,

The cafeshop sales are taxable only to persons who reside in the State of Virginia. All of the others are suppose to pay a use tax to their state diectly but Alex should not be involved (but who does). Why the State of Virginia, because that is where Alex has a nexus (physical location). He may also have to collect and remit sales tax for any sales that occur in the state where the WP server is located.

The reasoning is that the federal government realized that no person could possibly understand all of the tax jurstrictions and collect the proper tax (in some cities in Texas, the sales tax depends on the physical address of the business itself). I know this because any business I do with companies in the State of California are tax free (although custom software work is tax free in most states anyways). Any work I do in Minnesota however requires that I collect and remit sales tax if it is required (again, custom software is not taxable but computer repair is taxable). To top it off, because I do the work at peoples houses, I have to collect the appropriate sales tax for that person address (luck there are only 3 rates in MN).

Another aside though is that there may still be a moratorium on internet sales tax collection. Congress thinks that before the states have the right to collect sales taxes, they should clean up the juristiction mess that they created first by simplfying the sales tax process.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 10:26 am

The whole tax thing really does need to be looked at a national level. Not only do states have confusing laws regarding nexus, some have sales/use tax and some do not, and some have funky limits (like MN and no tax on clothing ie, t-shirts in this case), or "tax free days."

Minnesota's tax law on computers is enough to drive me crazy!...Installing a system is taxable. Reinstalling one after a crash is not. Converting data from a CD to paper report is taxable. Converting it from CD to floppy is. Converting it from on one database to another is not.

Yuck!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 11:25 am

ascan wrote:
alex wrote:

I was thinking, and perhaps you've already considered this, but it's worth mentioning: would the US tax authorities look on this undertaking as a business, even if you don't make a profit?

As far as I know the tax liabiliy is always passed off on the donee (being its a gain on their part). Maybe other countries may do it another way but the most I could imagine them doing is giving the donor a before-tax deduction. I think really all this situation means is that Alex may wanna hold on to a fraction of the donations just in case he ends up owing big on his 2005 taxes.

As far as being legally defined as a business though, not even close.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 10:21 am

umm alex, what was your adress? (needs to mail check)

You can PM me, of course.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 1:49 pm

Prometheus wrote:
umm alex, what was your adress? (needs to mail check)

You can PM me, of course.

It is on this page :)
http://wrongplanet.net/supporters.htm

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 1:58 pm

Oh, and another thing - as far as doners owing anything on taxes. The U.S. at least has a law that allows an annual gift tax exemption of $11,000 per year. Somehow I doubt that many of you have to worry about going over on that one.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2005, 5:12 am

Pikachu, I doubt donations of that order would buy much. :wink:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

alexj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2005, 5:43 am

What is the best way to donate when you are living abroad ? I can send a cheque by post, but the change fees may be expensive as my currency is Euro. I have got a credit card, but no paypal account.