How do other aspies cope with babies, young children..

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:29 am

Pandora wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
I don't know. I think I might be able to spot the difference between a parent with NT kids acting up, and parents with a Autistic spectrum kid who can't control their behaviour. I could be wrong though. I would think being on the spectrum would give you something like an Autie-dar with people.
If a child is "acting up" in a restaurant, the best thing is to take them outside and well away from the place so it won't annoy the other people.

If it was only that simple. These parents with their egos, and "but myyyyy babbbbyyyyy!" whining, like they have a baby so they can behave like one.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:30 am

Q wrote:
Holding onto my three-week old nephew was quite challenging for me.

I dislike babies because of the sound.

I dislike young children because most of the time, they are selfish. (As in, 'Thats MY toy!')

Apparently, I was a very quiet baby, I didnt cry once during the night, nor did I scream at anyone.

I just...stared...apparently....that unsettled most of my neighbors.

Heh, I would imagine especially if any of your neighbors watched some of those, scary kid horror films. Redrum 8O

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2007, 11:59 am

Good thread! I'm going to come back and comment later. I just don't want to lose the thread.
I have two little ones. Very loud sometimes.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 10:26 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
Q wrote:
Holding onto my three-week old nephew was quite challenging for me.

I dislike babies because of the sound.

I dislike young children because most of the time, they are selfish. (As in, 'Thats MY toy!')

Apparently, I was a very quiet baby, I didnt cry once during the night, nor did I scream at anyone.

I just...stared...apparently....that unsettled most of my neighbors.

Heh, I would imagine especially if any of your neighbors watched some of those, scary kid horror films. Redrum 8O
LOL! *redrum ,redrum,**hides under the bed xD*

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

I have 2 big children now and on that journey I in part it has been extremely hard for me at times, because of ignorance and judgement from others who have no idea what its like, how hard the gossip prefect mother syndrome wants to tell us we are wrong when our children are a little different from some, of course all children are different and all children have differing needs.... and we all tend to know our own children more than the outsiders looking in...

Children are children, reality without their would be no life and we have all been children ourselves, so to not like children does not make sense to me anyway, just like people we will get on with some better than others. I understand people choosing not to have children, but to not like seems strange to me anyway. As to me children a gift and I feel privileged to of been able to have, life a miracle in itself. As an spectrum wise individual having 2 children, with complex neurological differences myself, all I have to say is they have changed me for the better, in fact helped me to connect more with the world, one on the spectrum and one a highly sensitive child. I often was judged by those mainly who never had children, that's because unless you do you have no idea, sensory wise at times has not been easy for me, but as all parents we learn to adapt and for me there are mostly positives with having children, they have so enriched my life and you never really know unless you fully experience.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

I would use ear plugs. I can picture myself going around wearing ear plugs and wearing them around in my apartment until my kid learns to not scream when I tell him not to because it hurts mommy's ears.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

I guess its hard to explain the special connection with children, somehow our children's noise becomes apart of ours, in harmony when working... of course when not it is stressful, but so is life at times.... I guess like all parents we learn to adapt and find what works for us as families. A little like many who choose not to have children still find a natural connection with animals, pets... it works because we are needed, in part maybe gives us something to focus on and therefore less time for our at times obsessional needs :D

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm

I've always found infants repulsive...even dolls. I wonder if I had such an aversion to babies becuase I felt as if I was being stared down. I think that's why a lot of autistics don't like eye contact, they don't like being stared down. Humans are the only species that does not find eye contact a threat but anyway infants weren't only noisy but philty, I will NEVER understand why people think it's so cute when a baby smears uneatten food alover themselves. I was severely bullied as a kid and just the sight of children brings on PTSD flashbacks. Even looking at pictures of children brings them on. I can't stand the noises children make...everytime we go into a store and a five year old is screaching like a bird I want to b***h slap them. If I was raped and became pregnant, my child would be severely abused for simply being a child. I would physicaly lash out and hurt (hit, pinch, slap, bite, whatever made her go away the fastest) my neice who lived with us for a while if she wouldn't leave me alone. If she attempted that stupid, "I'm not touching you" in the car, she would have probabbly gotten a black eye or a broken finger but she was smart and learned right away which buttons not to push. Kids and I just don't mix. I always hated kids, even as a kid.