Numb3rs: His mathmatician brother has Asperges I'm sure!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Narocos300
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2005, 8:51 pm

This just started here and from the first episode I see a brilliant series coming up. And I was wondering whether anyone watches it in the Us and has it been extended e.g not cancelled off tv because I here some tv programs get the axe if they don't work in the US?

Its obvious though they don't touch on it in the first episode that the detectives brother has Asperges he's a real numbers addict.

In the first episode I noticed:

He noticed details of water droplets the distance sprayed onto the grass and how to work out how each droplet would land.

He's a brilliant yet quite reserved mathmatician with what seemed to be a difficulty in forming relationships from what I saw of the first episode.

He was still living with his father.

He was not able to switch off and come back down to the real world when trying to work out the formula for the maps he was working on that would work out the hot spots of the serial killer.

He had to workout the formulas imperfections or he wouldn't be able to leave and got angry and has flucuating moods when he knew they where wrong and after the wrong kinds of people. But he wasn't wrong just looking at the formula in the wrong direction and rather he should have seen the killer go from work to home in that instance and work out the path of the killer from their.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 11:59 pm

I had the most bizarre experience at work related to this show - I don't tell many people at work about my AS and my supervisor certianlly isn't one of them - but she knows my taste in shows since we have breaks together and watch TV and when that show came on she said 'You will just LOVE Numb3rs - the main character is an autistic savant - just your sort of thing . . .'
Needless to say I just sort of stared at her for a while before saying 'Yeah - ok . . .'

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 2:34 am

what station is this? (in USA)

Hollywood

17 Aug 2005, 3:02 am

Yeah i watched this the other night on channel 10, not really my type of program.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 7:26 am

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
what station is this? (in USA)

I believe it's on CBS.

I have yet to watch it myself.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 7:17 pm

Scott, yes, you're right, it is on CBS, but I've always wondered, you don't know if you only see it written, how is the name of that show pronounced?

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2006, 2:45 am

The show's name is pronounced "numbers". The title just changed the 'e' into a '3'. I have to agree with above post on it. I really love the show. (In the states, its airs on Friday nights, so you can tell i really have no social life when I can watch every Friday. Hahaha!!)

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 3:59 am

Hehe. What a coincidence. I'm watching it right now. :D

(It's on Channel 3 in New Zealand.)

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2006, 7:32 pm

i love this show! (And i hate math!) Its been on for a few seasons here in the US. i've also wondered if charlie's an aspie. i'm not sure. He is certainly a math genius, and some people with genius levels of intelligence naturally have poor social skills, but aren't necessarliy autistic. He seems to be able to relate and talk to people well, and he can explain his complex theories in ways the fbi people can understand. But he does have trouble with change and seems clueless in his budding relationship with Amida. I don't know, its possible, but i think he shows more just regular genius traits than genius aspie traits.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 4:37 am

Mmm... And men being clueless in a relationship is hardly PROOF of A.S. :wink:

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2006, 10:28 pm

I like that show a lot. One of the few I watch. (Numb3rs, Monk, Dr. Who and the Daily Show. none on a really regular basis.) I could care less about the crimes and such, I like it for the math. :D

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Tangerine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2006, 9:28 am

I love this show! I've also wondered about Charlie having AS. But since he was a genius who went to an Ivy League school as a young teenager, there are definitely other possible explanations for him being socially inept and absorbed in his math world. Being in an academic environment for the majority of your life will cultivate some pretty aspie-like characteristics.

Jeckel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2006, 7:10 pm

This is my favorite show, right at the top with Boston Legal and SciFi's Dr Who. The acting is top notch, the characters are real while still being out of the ordinary and their shoosh with the chalkboard and turning pictures into the 3d diagrams with equations and what not.. so cool. In fact I have it dvred to be recorded in a couple hours. :)

But I have to disagree about Charlie being an aspy. His behaviors and characteristis are much more easyly explained as side effects of the environment he grew up in, ie being a genius, jumping grades, ect.

While there are many things you can point to that suggest he could have ASD, I would point to the fact that he is a successful professor, has a resonalble health relationship with that one propheser (her name starts with an A I think..), his dealings with new people at each sucsesive crime seen, and the natural way he does these things.

Unfortunatly, we can't add Charlie to our ranks. O well, we'll get the next one. :p

TheRoaroftheGreasepaint
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Dec 2006, 7:26 am

Well, *I* think Charlie's a fellow aspie, but he's not my *favourite* character.

The hands-down aspie on the show is Larry, Charlie's best friend/mentor. I LOVE Larry. *sigh* And now he's in space... I don't know how I'll get through the long episodes without him...

=^_^=
TheRoaroftheGreasepaint

Eyphur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2006, 1:53 am

I love Numb3rs. It's the one show I watch regularly. I record every new episode. It is in fact my current obsession. However, I don't think Charlie is an Aspie. Yes, he can be a bit odd at times, but I don't think he meets the diagnostic criteria, paticularly with the social aspects.
Interstingly, it was when I was first watching Numb3rs and reading stuff about the show on the internet that I first heard of Aspergers. I read a thread similar to this one on IMDB.com. I remember reading the stuff and thinking "This isn't describing Charlie, it's describing me."

cheesecheese
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2007, 1:38 pm

I love numb3rs, but Charlie isn't an aspie. His body language and facial expressions give that away.
From a real-world perspective, would the US government be so willing to hand him such high level security clearances (the ones he's always talking about in the show) to someone they'd regard as less than perfect? From what I understand, it's very difficult to even advance to higher ranks in the military if you play roleplaying games (D+D, WOW, etc).