Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 1:51 pm

I am observing my son on Strattera for the past four months. At first it seemed to help a little (he's been on Ritalin before), mostly with social skills and organization, not so much with focus and paying attention.

Now he seems to be more hyper and less able to concentrate in noisy settings like school, or out in a restaurant.

Part of me just wants to yank him off all medicines, but I don't want to pull the rug out of him while he's in school. Part of me wants to try something new over the Christmas holidays, to see if it works better than Strattera. I've heard from others of you that Adderall has been helpful.

Kris

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2007, 2:25 pm

I tried Adderal and Strattera on my son and neither helped him. He is
now on Focalin (focusing-mainly for school) & Tenex (for the stims).
These have been the best for him. He is doing well in school and the
teacher said that he is paying attention in class and rarely has to tell
him more than once to do something. This is the first year that a teacher hasn't had problems with his "focusing". He has been on it since the summer and the only side effect I have noticed is that he doesn't sleep as much as he used to. He used to get in bed at 830p and now it's around 10p on school nights. It hasn't effected him at all in the morning so I haven't been concerned.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2007, 2:29 pm

I take adderall and it's very helpful.

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2007, 3:45 pm

My son takes Adderall. It helps a lot with his hyperactivity, and he hasn't had any bad side effects from it. He is almost 6 years old and takes 10 mg. daily.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 4:15 pm

I take it from time to time. Helps me stick to a task and pay attention to classes, but send my anxiety through the roof. I've had major anxiety issues all my life, though.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

Alex, I think I must have read a post about your Adderall experience, which is why I asked about it.

When it helps, is it mostly with focus? That's our issue right now -- and I'm really torn about how to help. On the one hand, our son's not paying attention in the harder classes (science, math, social studies -- this is by his own admition), and yet he's doing well -- A's in science and math, B's in social studies. It just takes HOURS to do homework, and I'm not kidding -- we (as parents) work with him literally from 4:00 pm until 10:00 some nights!

Kris

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 11:53 pm

I'm on adderall and it helps me immensely. If I were to be taken off of all my meds and only told that I continue one of them, it would be the adderall. When I'm taking it, I begin to truly understand the concept of attention and awakeness, and suddenly minor disturbances are just that; minor, and ignorable.

It's the best thing I've ever tried. It makes me want to get stuff done.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 8:39 am

Kris, Ztakes adderall for his ADHD. It has been very helpful helping him focus both in school and at home. We have tried other meds, ratalin, Straterra, Concerta none of which helped and others which made things worse. He takes 20 mg twice a day, the lowest effective dose for him. He is still extremely active but we refuse to drug him into a comatose state, I've seen kids in that state and it disturbs me. We can discuss his other meds later.