Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KindaRetarded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2007, 6:56 pm

"Öngyilkos vasárnap" is a rendition of the song "Szomorú vasárnap" (Gloomy Sunday) by Hungarian composer Rezső Seress, often called the Hungarian suicide song. According to urban legend, Seress's song has inspired the suicide of multiple persons, including his fiancée - the song was reportedly banned in both the United States and Hungary. The song has been covered by many artists, including Billie Holiday. Her vocals are sampled in this track.

Venetian Snares - Öngyilkos vasárnap (Suicidal Sunday) feat. Billie Holiday.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6jgeyir&s=1

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 8:28 pm

I recently saw the movie at a theater that shows foreign films, in our town.

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2007, 8:58 pm

wow. that was....intense. i can actually feel why it would do that. it kinda just makes you....want to.
*goes to find happy music to counter-act suicidal thoughts*

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 10:07 pm

Not fair, I mentioned the song a while back in that sad songs Thread.

By the way, some other Artists who covered it are, Christian Death, Lydia Lunch, Gitane Demone and Diamanda Galas all of which happen to be artists I like. Nice to know that Venetian Snares did a cover too though, I've got his other Albums like Pink + Green and Hospitality and plan on getting more.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 11:17 pm

Stuff like that I find morbidly fascinating. When I saw the movie, and heard the song, it really got to me...

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

I don't think its necessarily sad. Intensely emotional, tho, almost like a dream and a nightmare at the very same time.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 11:29 pm

Good description.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 12:34 am

BrutalRhubarb wrote:
I don't think its necessarily sad. Intensely emotional, tho, almost like a dream and a nightmare at the very same time.

No no, I'd say it's definitely sad. The song is about a person's only comfort being the thought of dying, after their loved one has died. The composer wrote it about his dead wife, or himself, or whatever. Then again, I didn't go to the link so I don't know how the lyrics might be different.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 3:00 am

I'm really beginning to love Venetian Snares...
:)